TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Tesla already outselling the worlds top luxury automaker

Discussion in 'News' started by yngwie_2012, Apr 17, 2013.

1. yngwie_2012

yngwie_2012 Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

3. Zextraterrestrial

Apple employees like Android :smile:
    some nice cars there. part of a club? :wink:
    I had someone telling me Tesla should have gone with apple OS stuff. Almost slapped them.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Has it been established the S runs Android?

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

6. TampaLiam

TampaLiam Secret Agent

Linux, not android.

7. Zextraterrestrial

ya, sorry. I didn't quite say it is android but they use google some.

8. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

I can attest that the shot above was in the parking lot behind a restaurant. Not the same thing, really.

That's my Zoe at the far end of the photo, and she's definitely in good company! No club, just an informal gathering of enthusiasts over lunch. Thirteen cars in the photo, and a few more scattered around the parking lot — that's as many as I've seen in one place since I visited the factory.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I hear there's a lonely Karma owner at Apple. You might consider inviting him.

10. Soflason

Soflason Member

11. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

#11 CapitalistOppressor, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    I was originally thinking about giving the story to Green Car Reports, specifically because they quickly aggregate to mainstream sites. Right around the time I was completing the first draft I sent an email to Voelcker asking if GCR would be interested in a story about the Model S being the top selling car in its class. However, I also sent messages to the site admins here asking permission to use the data, and while I was doing that I started thinking about just posting it as a blog here, figuring it would be eventually picked up regardless.

After thinking about it for about an hour or two I just decided to post here because reporters are just using this site as their primary source for info, and many of the folks who give them page views are members here, so why not just cut out the middle man :)

Long story short, I didn't even bother to wait on a reply from Voelcker, and instead just posted the story here and tweeted him the link, lol. But I did make sure that goodcarbadcar.net (which aggregates these numbers) knew about the story, and forwarded them Tesla's press release with the Q1 sales numbers. They posted their March results the day before yesterday, and included a note about Tesla sales for the quarter (they incorrectly identify Mercedes as the sales leader for March, but in fairness there are no authoritative figures on Tesla sales, month to month).

Large Luxury Car Sales In America - March 2013 - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Though I don't see a link to goodcarbadcar.net in Voelcker's story (he did link to my blog post), I'd guess that the timing is related. Regardless, my expectation was that if goodcarbadcar.net included a note about Tesla's sales it would lead to new stories being written on the subject because they are an authoritative source, which is what is required for a story to survive the typical editing process.

With the note at goodcarbadcar.net and with GCR picking up the story, it will be aggregated, and hopefully new stories on the subject will go mainstream. I know of about 20 or 30 business and automotive bloggers and reporters who have written about Tesla before and who know about my original blog, so I hope to see more than just a bunch of aggregated versions of the GCR story.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a link to the story (which might have come after you complained?), but the story itself spends a lot of words discussing how the Model S is NOT the top selling brand, but rather the sales leader in its class. Pretty much looks like it is meant to be a direct rebuttal of what I intended to be a provocative headline, lol.

12. Soflason

Soflason Member

Congrats - you have a big scoop, no need to be humble about it, wow...

Think it's already gaining more traction with investment-oriented media, check this article:
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/04/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-model-s-sells-more-than-mercedes-and-bmw/

They cite TMC:
    "Now it looks like the company might be ahead of the old names in the luxury car industry, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (FRA:BMW) (ETR:BMW) and Mercedes. The heavy lifting on numbers was done by TeslaMotorsClub.com, a site dedicated to discussing the luxury electric car."

And, that prior article is linked to here on Seeking Alpha:
    Is Tesla Motors Setting Up To Be The Monster Short Squeeze Of 2013? - Seeking Alpha

And, the stock is up over 47 today! Nice to think your TMC blog post can move the market, true - it's difficult to measure - but it's probably having some effect...

13. blakegallagher

My friend mentioned this great value walk article today and started telling me about it and I told him where to go to get the original scoop. He is a Tesla Investor and I have been telling him how he is missing out on where all the Journalist get their info. Thanks CapitalistOppressor It was a great blog post. I based some stock moves partly on your info and others from the board and boy am I glad I did !

14. Soflason

Soflason Member

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

16. derekt75

derekt75 Member

17. ednixon

ednixon New Member

No. Model S runs debain linux.