Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla changing warranty terms again, reducing coverage retroactively? [Website Error]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two threads in this section, literally right below yours, on this subject.

The website error is quite obviously a website error. It doesn’t matter what they change, it doesn’t matter what the website says. The only thing that matters is the conditions and terms of the warranty when the vehicle was originally sold.

This should be super obvious.
But isn’t a conspiracy theory so much more fun? ;)

Incorrect. Tesla still claims the yellowing is not covered, and that a "one time only" treatment is provided out of their good will only.
You really have to stop throwing around these misleading generalizations that simply contribute to more FUD. I was never told this treatment (which was very successful) was ‘good will’ nor did they tell me this is a ‘one time only’ treatment, nor did any of this show up on paperwork. I’ve read many other posters with similar experiences.

Here’s the language from the warranty:

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:
• Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first).

However, my details page does say 8yr / 125,000 but I’m guessing that doesn’t apply to my car based on the language.

Reactions: Shateam and bhzmark
You really have to stop throwing around these misleading generalizations that simply contribute to more FUD. I was never told this treatment (which was very successful) was ‘good will’ nor did they tell me this is a ‘one time only’ treatment, nor did any of this show up on paperwork. I’ve read many other posters with similar experiences.
Ask for an invoice for your treatment, it will most likely show the service as "good will", mine did, even when I asked to change it to warranty coverage, they refused.

As for it being a one time service, I asked the service adviser about it, and that is the answer I got. Now, you might say "it's just a Tesla employee, they are wrong", well, first, the guy was new, and he got onto some Tesla internal chat system, took a couple of minutes, and he got the answer which he relayed to me (along with the comment "wow, Tesla definitely does things differently than any other car dealer I worked for"). In the end, Tesla service is what employees provide, you saying "Tesla will offer service X" but employees declining to provide it, basically means Tesla is not offering it.

So, to be precise, my invoice for yellow screen says "good will" and the advisor informed me it's a one time service. We can only go on what customers report, because Tesla never releases any statements. Unless of course you can point us to an official statement from Tesla that says yellow screens are covered under warranty?

Last edited:
As posted in the other thread on this topic:

="PWlakewood, post: 4273885, member: 94420"]Infinite Mile Warranty

Read this.

For those that don't want to click on above link:

Infinite Mile Warranty
Elon Musk, CEOAugust 15, 2014
The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

– Elon

If they want to change it for NEW PURCHASES going forward, fine. It goes against what Elon said, but what else is new? They CANNOT change it retroactively to cars already purchased. Period. That’s illegal.

While looged into your Tesla account, in the Warranty section there is a "Learn More" URL that contains the warranty PDF. In there, it doesn't mention anything about a 120K mileage limit (unless you have an original 60 kWh battery in which its a 125K mileage limit).

So the 120K language must be a mistake.

From the PDF: "Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first)."

Screenshot.jpg

Reactions: Ken7 and bhzmark
this is from the car I picked up yesterday. It is not like I am going to put 120k miles on my car in 8 years may be half so 120 or unlimited don't matter much.

Yeah I should just throw caution to the wind and just accept I can drive only 22k over the next five years to keep under warranty. When I can do that amount in five months. Unlimited means a lot to some. Not so much to others.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Sherlo
Ask for an invoice for your treatment, it will most likely show the service as "good will", mine did, even when I asked to change it to warranty coverage, they refused.

As for it being a one time service, I asked the service adviser about it, and that is the answer I got. Now, you might say "it's just a Tesla employee, they are wrong", well, first, the guy was new, and he got onto some Tesla internal chat system, took a couple of minutes, and he got the answer which he relayed to me (along with the comment "wow, Tesla definitely does things differently than any other car dealer I worked for"). In the end, Tesla service is what employees provide, you saying "Tesla will offer service X" but employees declining to provide it, basically means Tesla is not offering it.

So, to be precise, my invoice for yellow screen says "good will" and the advisor informed me it's a one time service. We can only go on what customers report, because Tesla never releases any statements. Unless of course you can point us to an official statement from Tesla that says yellow screens are covered under warranty?
There was nothing on my invoice that indicated this was 'good will' or a 'one time courtesy' and yes, I'm talking about my printed receipt. It simply stated what the customer complaint was and that they confirmed & remedied the issue. So that's precisely why I told you that you shouldn't generalize about things you haven't conducted a 'survey' about to see if your comments were applicable to everyone. They're not. Further, I can't recall anyone being turned down for this curative treatment when they asked for it. If there have been any owners like that, they're in the minority.

Should there have been more of these devices to take care of the yellowing issue? Absolutely. Should this have been addressed sooner? Probably so. So those are the things, IMO, that Tesla should be criticized for.

I'm sorry, but your negativity filters into so many of your posts, I really don't find you particularly objective at this point. There are many things to criticize about Tesla's handling of service, but it's important to state the negatives in a factual manner, not embellished by your own negativity.

Reactions: SilverGS
There was nothing on my invoice that indicated this was 'good will' or a 'one time courtesy' and yes, I'm talking about my printed receipt. It simply stated what the customer complaint was and that they confirmed & remedied the issue. So that's precisely why I told you that you shouldn't generalize about things you haven't conducted a 'survey' about to see if your comments were applicable to everyone. They're not. Further, I can't recall anyone being turned down for this curative treatment when they asked for it. If there have been any owners like that, they're in the minority.

Should there have been more of these devices to take care of the yellowing issue? Absolutely. Should this have been addressed sooner? Probably so. So those are the things, IMO, that Tesla should be criticized for.

I'm sorry, but your negativity filters into so many of your posts, I really don't find you particularly objective at this point. There are many things to criticize about Tesla's handling of service, but it's important to state the negatives in a factual manner, not embellished by your own negativity.
I like whitex's comments....they balance.

Tesla is skirting the law by stating warranty work as “good will”.
What an unscrupulous move on their part.

As posted in the other thread on this topic:

If they want to change it for NEW PURCHASES going forward, fine. It goes against what Elon said, but what else is new? They CANNOT change it retroactively to cars already purchased. Period. That’s illegal.
They can change whatever they want at any time they choose. That does not mean it's right, legal or going to be inforced or even stand up in court if someone were to challenge this bs. The warranty should be stated clearly and easy to interpret and discern. By making the wording of the warranty convoluted and confusing it will deter people from tesla, from using the warranty, or benefit tesla which is the goal of Tesla anyways. You really think they want to be replacing or remanufacturing batteries and drive units on 7 to 8 year old cars? I think not! They want you to buy a new one of course.

They stopped replacing the screens for yellowing because the replacements didn't fix the issue and the UV machine was being rolled out. It sounded unbelievable but it works surprisingly.

It works, but for how long? Tesla is saying it's not a warranty issue and then on top they are saying here is a "treatment" but doesn't say it will fix it.

Honestly it seems like there's nothing you like about owning a Tesla. Why don't you just sell yours and get something else?

I always find negative comments like this to be less than helpful. If you don't like the conversation, you are free to not join in.

As my experiences with Tesla support mount up, I find less and less to like about owning a Tesla as well. That's why we post here. To see if others have similar problems and to get support and advice. Which are you offering?

There was nothing on my invoice that indicated this was 'good will' or a 'one time courtesy' and yes, I'm talking about my printed receipt. It simply stated what the customer complaint was and that they confirmed & remedied the issue. .

My screen was replaced saying "good will" when it was warranty. I questioned and got a blank stare as the service rep said. That was one of the last screens we had. Mine was the last couple weeks before they stopped replacing. Kind of felt like shut up and take your medicine.

There is a couple of things in play here. First regarding the warranty, Tesla can make a determination as to what is/is not covered (e.g. the yellowing screen). Tesla cannot change the terms of the warranty as it stood when the car was purchased as that is against the law (breach of contract / misrepresentation).

My thinking is that they are making some updates for new cars being sold now and it's incorrectly showing for older cars. For the premium connectivity, there was a cutoff date (I believe 7/31/18 but I could be wrong) where anything prior to that would retain free premium connectivity and after that it would be free for one year and then there would be a charge for it.

I think you are right about the website just showing incorrect information. Tesla is probably updating the accounts to show the connectivity changes and accidentally modified the warranty term. My page is also showing 125k miles too, but I know it is unlimited mileage on the battery and drivetrain.