Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla changing warranty terms again, reducing coverage retroactively? [Website Error]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen was replaced saying "good will" when it was warranty. I questioned and got a blank stare as the service rep said. That was one of the last screens we had. Mine was the last couple weeks before they stopped replacing. Kind of felt like shut up and take your medicine.
But the point is there was nothing they stated verbally or in writing (far more important) that said, “this is it buddy, you get one shot for a repair and you just got it”. It wasn’t on mine and I bet it wasn’t on your invoice either. Listening to WhiteX you’d think this was on everyone’s invoice. It’s not.

Most importantly, nobody that’s gotten the UV repair has seen any indication the yellowing is returning. Sure it’s early, but at least it’s a good sign.

There’s just so much negativity from a few posters, it gets tiring.

There is a couple of things in play here. First regarding the warranty, Tesla can make a determination as to what is/is not covered (e.g. the yellowing screen). Tesla cannot change the terms of the warranty as it stood when the car was purchased as that is against the law (breach of contract / misrepresentation).

My thinking is that they are making some updates for new cars being sold now and it's incorrectly showing for older cars. For the premium connectivity, there was a cutoff date (I believe 7/31/18 but I could be wrong) where anything prior to that would retain free premium connectivity and after that it would be free for one year and then there would be a charge for it.

Actually, no. Tesla can't simply decide what they're going to cover or not cover... that's not how warranties work. They must PROVE you did something to directly cause the damage to deny warranty coverage of a defective item.

We're in agreement on your second point though as they also can't change the terms of the warranty which was a contractual agreement on the front end that BOTH parties entered into at the time of the sale of the vehicle. The only way this can be changed later is if BOTH parties agree to amending the contract which no owner would agree to since there's no up-side for them, only Tesla.

We're also in agreement that lately Tesla has been making wholesale changes to how their website displays things and has been breaking stuff left and right. For the most part, given enough time, they have fixed most of these mistakes so I will give them the benefit of the doubt since lots of these "changes" were in error and applied only to a specific subset of cars and not ALL cars.

View attachment 486144 Weird. Mine is now changed too. Even the agreement says 8yrs 200,000 kms. Also I see that they specifically mention model 3 not to drop below 70% by their timeline.

That screenshot does not have a distance limit for the S and X (aside from the original 60 kWh battery). This supports the notion that this is just a website glitch that's pulling information for the Model 3 with Long Range Battery which is the only car to currently have its battery warrantied for 8 yr/120,000 miles:

Screen-Shot-2019-12-08-at-3-29-54-PM.png

I agree with others that this is nothing to worry about. Save that version of the warranty to your computer if you want to be safe, but I don't think this indicates anything nefarious by Tesla.

Yes, less than six months old.
Then it should be noted as Warranty Work.

From my own experience, Tesla is playing with words so, just in case, they can say they are helping people if it ended in court.
During my arbitration process, that’s exactly what they stated until I reminded them it’s warranty work.
Nevertheless, the not-so-intelligent arbitrator sided with them.
And thus my lawsuit against them.

People can say whatever they want but IMO, It’s not that simple and inexpensive to try to hire a lawyer to file a complaint and again IMO Tesla is banking on it to keep deceiving their customers.

As I read it, here is the important part: in the purchasing agreement for the car (which is a legally binding contract), the language is spelled out as follows (bold added by me):

"Warranty. You will receive the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, as applicable, at or prior to the time of Vehicle delivery or pickup. You may also obtain a written copy of your warranty from us upon request or from our website."

What this means in plain terms is you get the warranty in place at the time you signed the agreement. There is nothing in the purchasing agreement that states that Tesla has the right to retroactively change the terms of the warranty in the future. From a legal perspective (and I am NOT a lawyer but I do know a few), ambiguity in a contract always favors the consumer. Bottom line is they can try to change the terms of the warranty retroactively but it won't stand up in court.

Now regarding specific individual items being covered, Tesla does have the right to make that determination. What they can't do is alter the terms of the warranty in place when the agreement was entered into (e.g. saying something used to be covered but now it's not). Warranties usually work one of two way; either inclusively or exclusively. It really depends on the wording of the warranty. Again unless it is CLEARLY spelled out that items not listed in the warranty document are not covered, I would bet Tesla would lose in court for trying to say something is not covered.

There was nothing on my invoice that indicated this was 'good will' or a 'one time courtesy' and yes, I'm talking about my printed receipt. It simply stated what the customer complaint was and that they confirmed & remedied the issue.
Care to share the invoice here with us? All invoices show the work done, and how it's billed (warranty, goodwill, customer pay). If the pay type is warranty or you paid for it, then the fix itself is warrantied (if the screen was to go yellow again). If the invoice shows "goodwill", that tells you the fix is officially not warrantied, as it was a good will gesture. Here is the relevant part of my invoice, find the same on yours.
yellowing-invoice-description.jpg

For those who claim that this is just a mistake on the part of Tesla employees, what is the way to remedy this?

Reactions: Droschke
But the point is there was nothing they stated verbally or in writing (far more important) that said, “this is it buddy, you get one shot for a repair and you just got it”. It wasn’t on mine and I bet it wasn’t on your invoice either. Listening to WhiteX you’d think this was on everyone’s invoice. It’s not.

Most importantly, nobody that’s gotten the UV repair has seen any indication the yellowing is returning. Sure it’s early, but at least it’s a good sign.

There’s just so much negativity from a few posters, it gets tiring.

But the bottom line is that it is incorrect to label it as Goodwill. I can list you probably 3 or 4 other items for instance replace front right headlight went out that should be warranty it was labeled as goodwill. Not to get all accounting, but that is not correct. If car was out of warranty and Tesla said. Great customer. That is good will.

While it can get tiring opposing points of view and people that have been around here for a long time also add significant value even though it may be tiresome. I never stop listening.

You really have to stop throwing around these misleading generalizations that simply contribute to more FUD. I was never told this treatment (which was very successful) was ‘good will’ nor did they tell me this is a ‘one time only’ treatment, nor did any of this show up on paperwork. I’ve read many other posters with similar experiences.

This is exactly what I was told as well. Good will and one time only.

Care to share the invoice here with us? All invoices show the work done, and how it's billed (warranty, goodwill, customer pay). If the pay type is warranty or you paid for it, then the fix itself is warrantied (if the screen was to go yellow again). If the invoice shows "goodwill", that tells you the fix is officially not warrantied, as it was a good will gesture. Here is the relevant part of my invoice, find the same on yours.
View attachment 486233

For those who claim that this is just a mistake on the part of Tesla employees, what is the way to remedy this?
But there is nothing that says ‘one time only’ on your invoice either. I will try to dig up my invoice that also makes no mention of that.

When I bought my used 2015 S85D with 12,004 miles in April 2019, I was told remaining battery/drive warranty. According to my car warranty that was 8 years, unlimited miles! Now my Tesla account says 8 years 120,000 miles!

I was also told Lifetime connection/4years of Slacker (as long as the car is under warranty). Nothing in writing about a premium charge for traffic! That connection service was included with the car! Today I checked my Tesla account and I’m told I have to start paying $9.99/month in January for premium connection to keep traffic. As I mentioned above my battery/drive warranty was changed to 120,000 miles.

Isn’t this illegal? My account today...
DCFE0AA1-1DE0-402A-9EB2-62FE99169B50.jpeg

At time of sale!

DFC70CB8-2592-42DC-BA65-DB89D831F063.jpeg
76F65D37-38A9-4907-8592-80640225D1BC.jpeg

I agree that this is nothing to worry about. My account also shows the 8 year / 120,000 mile drivetrain warranty where it hadn’t before. However, if you click the Blue “learn more” link next to that, it takes you to the current version of the warranty, which still says 8 years and unlimited mileage for all model S and X except for the original 60 kWh battery. Just like it’s always been.
I did save a .pdf of that warranty though, just in case... ;)

Of course not, for that you have to go to Tesla warranty terms which state that only warranty work or paid for work is warrantied (slightly differently but at least covered).
And that still doesn’t mean they wouldn’t take care of a recurrence of yellowing. Just as they took care of what they considered a ‘non-warrantied’ item (yes, I agree it’s nonsense that this yellowing issue should be considered non-warranty) we don’t know they wouldn’t service the issue if it occurred a second time. You and I don’t know for one simple reason, nobody has had a recurrence post-treatment.

If I looked at everything Tesla as cynically as you, I’d sell my car in a heartbeat, financial loss be damned. It’s obviously causing you endless frustration & anger as evidenced by virtually every one of your posts. It’s not worth the high blood pressure you’ll get from this.

• Love
Reactions: SO16
And that still doesn’t mean they wouldn’t take care of a recurrence of yellowing. Just as they took care of what they considered a ‘non-warrantied’ item (yes, I agree it’s nonsense that this yellowing issue should be considered non-warranty) we don’t know they wouldn’t service the issue if it occurred a second time. You and I don’t know for one simple reason, nobody has had a recurrence post-treatment.
Ok, so basically Tesla is laying the groundwork down so they have no legal obligation to fix things, in case it proves to be too expensive to them (like they never delivered the advertised hp on my car even though they did deliver it 3rd gen P90DL, so technically they could have upgraded the battery and other components on P85D). Basically, they'll your car under warranty it if they feel like it and doesn't affect their bottom line too much.

If I looked at everything Tesla as cynically as you, I’d sell my car in a heartbeat, financial loss be damned. It’s obviously causing you endless frustration & anger as evidenced by virtually every one of your posts. It’s not worth the high blood pressure you’ll get from this.
First, financials be damned is easy to say not so easy to do. Not just that, I tried once, almost did, but was held back by the stupid screen because the dealer would not trade in until screen was fixed and Tesla didn't have an ETA on when it would be fixed at that time. So really, the same thing which is so frustrating me with Tesla is also why I wasn't able to leave. And no, I'm not throwing away 2 Teslas just to get rid of them (and if I did, I'd be stuck without cars while I'm still paying for the Teslas, so I'd be a lot more bitter and have a lot more time to post here ;)).

Reactions: Droschke
I bought CPO 2016 MS 75 last month. When I bought it, all documentation and specifications clearly indicated a 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty. Just yesterday, I notice that mileage is no longer unlimited, but 120,000 miles now. What gives? Can Tesla do this? Both Model S usergroups I belong to on Facebook have a ton of people posting about the same thing. What gives?

I did send a tweet to Elon. Hope he responds .

CT

I don't think the 60, 70, or 75 sized batteries ever had the unlimited miles for their warranty. None of those 350V battery packs did. It was only the 85, 90, and 100 packs (the 400V types) that had the unlimited miles.
Interesting, I've never heard of this. If it's true then they definitely weren't trying to make it clear. Could've been a selling point to get a bigger battery.