Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla changing warranty terms again, reducing coverage retroactively? [Website Error]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ask you to log into your tesla account (on your computer) and show me the features of your tesla, according to tesla.

I'd also look at the car, not pictures of the car. We're not talking about buying a $3000 honda fit with a fart can exhaust; I'd do as much due-diligence as I can and walk away if I can't do it.

Once I buy the car, my support comes from tesla, not your 4 year old pieces of paper. If tesla says those pieces of paper are no good, what am I supposed to do, drag you into court so you can swear that they're real?

And I would not consent. I have official paperwork from Tesla detailing the car I purchased, complete with the VIN number and options. I’d email those. Not schedule a time to meet with you to stand over a computer.

It is clear that the website is just erroneously pulling the warranty information for the long range model 3 on the accounts of S and X owners. It’s a mistake that has no bearing on your actual warranty.

It could also be that Tesla is changing the warranty for new (and used) car purchases going forward. Remember that the warranty you get is the one in place when you take delivery. Tesla has a habit of only showing the latest info on the cars on pages vs. what actually applies to the specific model years.

It could also be that Tesla is changing the warranty for new (and used) car purchases going forward. Remember that the warranty you get is the one in place when you take delivery. Tesla has a habit of only showing the latest info on the cars on pages vs. what actually applies to the specific model years.

if they were, they’d have a new warranty document that specified different terms for these new S’s and X’s.

They don’t. An S and X sold today is held to this warranty:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

It still states it’s 8 years no mileage limit for the S/X.

Reactions: ucmndd
Is this new? A q
WTF... I just checked mine
They can't change it at all. Although having a copy of what was originally disclosed is important to ones case. Now, thats if its needed ever.

Also, you must have noticed the entire manual changes, updates etc, changing that as well. At least the words, I think its wrong. A certain model year came with that manual and it should not be amended or changed with the exception of changes that came with updates that pertain to that particular car. Its hard to set all these manual right and constantly change them correctly depending on quite a bit.

Reactions: Droschke
To the poster who keeps insisting that Tesla has never said that the yellow screen is not covered under warranty, or that they have not said it's a one-time only treatment, this is a text message I received from Tesla back in October after making my appointment to have the treatment done:

"The yellow condition is not a defect and is not covered under warranty. However, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture. Please note that this is NOT a treatment that removes the yellowing condition permanently."

• Informative
By the way, is it me or this doesn't sound too fair, charging the same amount for premium connectivity to MCU1 cars as they do for newer ones which can stream movies, browse the internet, etc... ?
I have a pre-AP MCU1 car from 2013 and I have not been asked to pay for connectivity. This looks like an Autopilot tax.

Yup, I just tracked down my invoice for the yellow screen repair and it does say 'Goodwill' (which I didn't think it said). My attitude, like yours, is who cares as long as they fix the issue.
You should care. By marking your invoice goodwill, Tesla is saying that the repair is NOT covered under warranty and does not have to do it again. Everyone who gets the yellow screen repair should insist that their invoices say "warranty" and not goodwill. This will give you a better position should the issue recur and Tesla declines repair a 2nd time.

Given that some saw the yellowing on their brand new cars within a couple of months, yes, I’d consider it a good sign that nobody has had a recurrence. Also, given the nature of the fix, curing the uncured glue, yes, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think the fix may be lasting.

How do you know the problem is uncured glue? Tesla has provided no information about this. It could just as easily be reversing oxidation which will oxidize again just like it did the first time.

How many cars that had the problem appear quickly have said the problem has been cured for longer than it took to appear. The problem with even this is there's no way to factor in the time the LCD display was assembled before the user received it.

I would argue they are making an effort, but they need to expand the speed with which the devices are distributed and thus the availability of the fix.

Understatement of the year. They have been fighting this for quite some time now and have far more than enough time to produce thousands of units if they wanted to. THAT'S my point. They clearly are not taking the actions of a company that WANTS to resolve this issue. So then one simply needs to look at why they would want to drag their feet. That brings us to the obvious point of them wanting to out-wait as many of these defective screens as possible.

I've already explained all this several times. I won't go on repeating the same, clear facts.

And the current warranty document (that which is legally binding) still states that the warranty for the battery and drivetrain unit is 8 years [with no mileage restriction listed]. Screenshots/copy & pastes from that document have been posted multiple times in this thread.

It is clear that the website is just erroneously pulling the warranty information for the long range model 3 on the accounts of S and X owners. It’s a mistake that has no bearing on your actual warranty.

The model 3 drivetrain warranty pretty well sucks given the huge expense of replacing the battery. 100,000 mile warranty vs. all manner of "info" from Tesla and mostly Musk showing the battery should last for many hundreds of kmiles. Yeah, that sucks. The folks who are gung-ho about EVs are buying them now, but in a couple of years the potential buyers will be a bit more wary of buying a new technology. If the drivetrain isn't going to break between 100 and 250 kmiles, how much more can it cost to provide a more robust warranty? The fact they've shortened the warranty so much says to me they do expect to have significant numbers of failures.

You should care. By marking your invoice goodwill, Tesla is saying that the repair is NOT covered under warranty and does not have to do it again. Everyone who gets the yellow screen repair should insist that their invoices say "warranty" and not goodwill. This will give you a better position should the issue recur and Tesla declines repair a 2nd time.
Perhaps, but there is always legal recourse. I just refuse to obsess over this like some. There are more important things to worry about in life.

How do you know the problem is uncured glue? Tesla has provided no information about this. It could just as easily be reversing oxidation which will oxidize again just like it did the first time.

How many cars that had the problem appear quickly have said the problem has been cured for longer than it took to appear. The problem with even this is there's no way to factor in the time the LCD display was assembled before the user received it.
Because of all the theories that have been espoused, this makes the most sense especially when factoring in the UV methodology used for repairs. The UV light is effective for exactly this kind of issue. So to me this makes sense.

The fact is we don’t know, no matter how much you stick your tongue out.
A list of things we don't know is infinite, for example nowhere does it say that Tesla will not compensate all P85D buyers for not delivering on the power spec, by giving each P85D buyer a free Roadster 2020. Like you and say, it could totally happen because nowhere does it say that they won't do that, right?

My old boss used to say "hope is a very poor strategy", and I agree with him. You don't see Elon giving cars away to people who simply give them one monthly payment without signing some type of level commitment to pay for the rest of the car, do you? Because he knows that hope is not a successful strategy, even if it works out on rare occasions, like winning a lottery (which mathematicians call a "bad decision with a good outcome" by the way).

On the bright side, your attitude may serve you well, you will never ever feel cheated. Even if your Tesla car dies tomorrow and Tesla refuses to fix it, you can say "nowhere does it say that Elon won't give me a billion dollars soon, and if he does, it will be so worth my car dying, so I'm happy that it died". :p