Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla changing warranty terms again, reducing coverage retroactively? [Website Error]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ask for an invoice for your treatment, it will most likely show the service as "good will", mine did, even when I asked to change it to warranty coverage, they refused.

As for it being a one time service, I asked the service adviser about it, and that is the answer I got. Now, you might say "it's just a Tesla employee, they are wrong", well, first, the guy was new, and he got onto some Tesla internal chat system, took a couple of minutes, and he got the answer which he relayed to me (along with the comment "wow, Tesla definitely does things differently than any other car dealer I worked for"). In the end, Tesla service is what employees provide, you saying "Tesla will offer service X" but employees declining to provide it, basically means Tesla is not offering it.

So, to be precise, my invoice for yellow screen says "good will" and the advisor informed me it's a one time service. We can only go on what customers report, because Tesla never releases any statements. Unless of course you can point us to an official statement from Tesla that says yellow screens are covered under warranty?

They did not give me any paperwork when I had this fixed, unlike all other visits.

I have a 2013 S85 and the change appeared on my Tesla page between 22 Oct 2019 and today, 12 Dec. 2019. Someone said there is a big thread on this in the “main forum” but neglected to give a link. Please supply that link.

Attachments

• 0697B18F-9E78-432C-8741-172501AC0CFA.jpeg
    0697B18F-9E78-432C-8741-172501AC0CFA.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 76
  • D86600AF-4136-4E8C-BB65-6D67D9C890B9.jpeg
    D86600AF-4136-4E8C-BB65-6D67D9C890B9.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 55
it sure isn't the owner's manual for MY car
Exactly, there is a lot of reading between the lines here, unlimited supercharging statements(the car), the manual changes all the time, battery and drivetrain warranty. If it applies to your situation then apply it, if not then don't apply it.

I am in total agreement, its getting quite confusing though. Not a good look for any company.

Reactions: Droschke
Because of all the theories that have been espoused, this makes the most sense especially when factoring in the UV methodology used for repairs. The UV light is effective for exactly this kind of issue. So to me this makes sense.

The yellow returned to my screen twice after the initial cure and subsequent curing. The problems are the LOCA used did not have the correct additives to prevent discoloration and they used too thick of a coating on installation. With an excessive coating, summer heat will allow the uncured LOCA to resurface. If you keep curing it when the yellow returns then eventually all layers can be accessed. My screen has been UV cured 3 times and I have no yellowing now since it’s December and the temperature is cooler, but it may return next summer. If it does then additional curing will be applied until it is completely cured.

This is my personal experience, not based on any speculation. I did my own research, got my own answers and handled it myself. It is amazing to me how people speculate about things and argue and blame others without facts or experience. I do not blame Tesla for this - problems happen and they have taken some action to provide a solution. I had the choice to wait and be dependent on someone else for a solution or to be self-reliant so I decided to take care of it myself and I am pleased with my results.

So, now the warranty section is totally blank:
View attachment 487953

True, obviously an error on Tesla's part. I think everyone here knows that anyone in the window of 8 years with over 120k miles would win every fight if the battery goes bad. It's blank on the website as well just references you to the manual that says the warranty is 8 years with the exception of the pre 2015 60kwh batteries.

can we close this thread now?

Yeah I should just throw caution to the wind and just accept I can drive only 22k over the next five years to keep under warranty. When I can do that amount in five months. Unlimited means a lot to some. Not so much to others.

It may also mean a lot to the next owner and could make a big difference in average value.

If you plan to keep it over 8 years and never reach 120K then it’s a don’t care. That would be a small minority.

Reactions: outdoors
Only thing they’re reviewing is erroneous website coding. Our warranty terms were never changed. I cannot emphasize that enough.

This thread is a classic example of the dangerous power of FUD.

Given some dubious behavior and budget tightening in the past, you can’t blame people for being concerned.

We have no idea if the other places that show it correctly just have not caught up yet.

And if they can blunder something like this, they can have some tech blunder interpreting it.

They have flat out f’d up my trade in tax credit on me. And Tesla demanded I pay $1000’s that I did not owe them weeks after delivery.

Reducing range retroactively. It might be for safety but it still happened.

Reducing charge rate retroactively. It might be for safety but it still happened.

Tesla also lied that FSD would cost more later then put it on sale for less than half price.

They are quite capable of doing stupid things regardless if it’s legal or not.

Last edited:
Only thing they’re reviewing is erroneous website coding. Our warranty terms were never changed. I cannot emphasize that enough.

This thread is a classic example of the dangerous power of FUD.
Warranty terms at the time of purchase cannot be changed retroactively to the benefit of Tesla. Tesla has a horrible track record of deceptive actions so you really can't blame people for worrying whenever something changes

Warranty terms at the time of purchase cannot be changed retroactively to the benefit of Tesla. Tesla has a horrible track record of deceptive actions so you really can't blame people for worrying whenever something changes

And they haven’t been changed. Never were. That’s my point.

I don’t blame the OP for making this thread. It was a good catch. But it caught a website error. The document linked on that page that actually spells out the warranty did not change the terms of anybody’s warranty to benefit Tesla. So all this grandstanding as is Tesla was trying to pull a fast one is FUD.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Given some dubious behavior and budget tightening in the past, you can’t blame people for being concerned.

We have no idea if the other places that show it correctly just have not caught up yet.

And if they can blunder something like this, they can have some tech blunder interpreting it.

They have flat out f’d up my trade in tax credit on me. And Tesla demanded I pay $1000’s that I did not owe them weeks after delivery.

Reducing range retroactively. It might be for safety but it still happened.

Reducing charge rate retroactively. It might be for safety but it still happened.

Tesla also lied that FSD would cost more later then put it on sale for less than half price.

They are quite capable of doing stupid things regardless if it’s legal or not.

All of this is irrelevant: the terms never changed throughout this entire misunderstanding. The whole time the website was erroneous it still linked the actual warranty document which correctly spelled out the terms.

Reactions: Rocky_H
And they haven’t been changed. Never were. That’s my point.

I don’t blame the OP for making this thread. It was a good catch. But it caught a website error. The document linked on that page that actually spells out the warranty did not change the terms of anybody’s warranty to benefit Tesla. So all this grandstanding as is Tesla was trying to pull a fast one is FUD.
I agree but Tesla does some shady ish so I dont blame the op at all