Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla done with SGIP for Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When looking at the latest tables of updated incentive status at:

California Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) | Tesla

On Step 2 (40c) Fully subscribed by Tesla. Certified Installers can still apply.
On Step 3 (35c) Opens after Step 2 is fully subscribed

For SCE customers, Step 2 is almost closed as there are only about $500K left.

My question is "will Tesla participate in Step 3" once it opens? Their Certified Installer, Swell, told me no. because they have already been assigned so many incentives. Tesla has not answered to me yet. Does anyone know if there are limits, per "developer" for SGIP incentives.

I talked on the phone yesterday and my Tesla rep responded that all the steps for the PG&E SGIP program for a Tesla employee powerwall 2 install is exhausted but that a finance program from Tesla is in process, he also explained that the federal income tax ITC of 30% is legal for this purchase if you fully charged your battery 100% on your solar arrays, yes and you can get an accessment price very quickly if your not concern of getting a SGIP approval, but you still have to wait a while for the installation (6-8) months

Since no one posted the link yet, see here for details of what Tesla has submitted already: https://www.selfgenca.com/home/program_metrics/

Change both drop-downs to "small residential storage". The top table shows how much money is left in the currently open step for each of the utilities in California. The bottom table shows the developer cap for each step and how much each of the top five developers has used up. As of the time I'm posting this, Tesla does not show up in the top 5 developers for step 3. Note that the utilities fill the steps at different rates, so CSE is already in Step 5, while PG&E and SCE are just starting Step 3.

I just had my assessment done today by a SolarCity Tesla employee and he finished the job around an hour, just one powerwall for me. After my quote is email to me I will as my TA that I want a submitted SGIP FOR step 4 or 5 when it opens up because the SGIP metrics has it that Tesla has money there for step 4 but step 5 is not . Any advice from this forum will be appreciated Thanku

According to the SGID metrics on there website Tesla still has a step 4 of the amount of over 500,000$ , my question is can the TA submit my request for this step and when it opens up I will already be on the list or lottery chosen, the TA has told me my one Powerwall will not be install until the end of the year so why not submit this is my question, they don’t have have any money for step 3 so they could easily be granted permission to go to the next step, any suggestions out there would be very helpful.

Actually, the number is the opposite. Tesla has used $250,000 of their Step 4 developer cap, that's not how much is left. The developer cap is statewide, not per region. Since San Diego (CSE) is on more advanced steps, they have already used some of their Step 4 cap there. I'm assuming they're planning ahead and limiting the number of applications they'll submit so there are some left for the other regions too.

Note that the selfgenca site only reflects what Tesla has already submitted, not the backlog they have internally. If you're in the PG&E area, I believe there are enough other customers in the queue to fill all three remaining steps.

No, applications can only be submitted to a step that's open. Step 4 is not currently open for any of the utilities. The cap is just over $2,000,000 per developer, per step. As far as I can tell, Tesla has an internal queue, though, so you really need to ask them whether they will be able to get you in. It sounds from your original post like they're saying you can't - you're in PG&E territory, right?

No, applications can only be submitted to a step that's open. Step 4 is not currently open for any of the utilities. The cap is just over $2,000,000 per developer, per step. As far as I can tell, Tesla has an internal queue, though, so you really need to ask them whether they will be able to get you in. It sounds from your original post like they're saying you can't - you're in PG&E territory, right?

By all reports, Tesla has filled their "internal queue" for all utilities, and all steps. When you order now, they say they will no longer file SGIP for you. I would love to be proven wrong on this, but that's what everyone has been reporting.

I'm still working through some SGIP paperwork issues with Tesla (more a problem on CSE's part), and that's what their "Incentives Department" is saying as well.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Yes I reside in the PG&E territory, I really wanted this powerwall with a SGIP but I must first see how much is the total cost FOR one powerwall and see how his finance program works , and than I have to notify my PPA that I will install this unit and email the design to them just to make sure it’s alright with Vivent solar PPA contract, they wanted to sell me the Mercedes design but it is not available right now and it must be installed in the garage or indoors not outdoors, not going to work for me

I found it very interesting that the SolarCity/ Tesla truck parked outside in front of my house it had Texas plates on the truck, yet the employee lives in Richmond California about 25 miles from me , he told me. My curiosity about this is why did my TA take so long to send someone to my house to do the assessment so late, I reserved my powerwall the 1st week of January and he responded this month, if he had responded earlier I might have had time to be added to a step on the SGIP, it doesn’t make sense

Yes I reside in the PG&E territory, I really wanted this powerwall with a SGIP but I must first see how much is the total cost FOR one powerwall and see how his finance program works , and than I have to notify my PPA that I will install this unit and email the design to them just to make sure it’s alright with Vivent solar PPA contract, they wanted to sell me the Mercedes design but it is not available right now and it must be installed in the garage or indoors not outdoors, not going to work for me
This Mercedes design?

Mercedes-Benz Exits Home Battery Market
Mercedes-Benz kills its ‘Tesla Powerwall killer’ energy storage device

I just talked to an energy adviser for the powerwall I ordered back in February just before the price went up. According to him, tesla has used up all of their SGIP credit and they are backed up on orders made since May 2017. With that being said, they have no ETA on my powerwall installation but was certain that I would not be able to get any SGIP credit.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet