Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Energy Customer Service this bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would guess there's a Tesla short-seller dreaming up a new post and new identity every day or two. It would be interesting to run a word usage analysis to see how many of these are written by the same person.

My own solar system (originally installed by Solar City) has been performing well for over five years. It was upgraded to include Powerwall batteries last fall, and is still performing well. While the lockdowns have made it difficult to get problems corrected in recent months, I don't think Tesla Energy is intentionally neglecting customers.

I would say “Tesla” is not synonymous with “Customer Service”.

They’re great at taking money and delivery a sometimes excellent product. But in the small percentages of cases where the product is not excellent, neither are they.

I would guess there's a Tesla short-seller dreaming up a new post and new identity every day or two. It would be interesting to run a word usage analysis to see how many of these are written by the same person.

My own solar system (originally installed by Solar City) has been performing well for over five years. It was upgraded to include Powerwall batteries last fall, and is still performing well. While the lockdowns have made it difficult to get problems corrected in recent months, I don't think Tesla Energy is intentionally neglecting customers.
Good to know, thanks! Yeah, looking at some of the user names it makes me think the same thing. But my wife found this site and its freaking her out. I'm trying to go with Tesla.....I know customer service is not the company's strong suite, but those reviews seem over the top.....

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 7.06.45 PM.png
I've done some research on here and found some threads, but nothing this negative?

What do you guys say?

Tesla / SolarCity solar reviews, complaints, address & solar panels cost

I took a 20 second look at your posting history, and almost all of your recent posts are in the "investing" section. So... why exactly are you posting a link to "solar city reviews" here in the energy section?

My point isnt that there is something "wrong" with focusing on tesla investing... but I seriously question what the motivation for this post was, other than to try to "get discussion going" about negative reviews...

• Disagree
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
I took a 20 second look at your posting history, and almost all of your recent posts are in the "investing" section. So... why exactly are you posting a link to "solar city reviews" here in the energy section?
What? Because this does not belong in the investor section. I'm looking to get solar panels, so I created the thread in the energy section. There are tons of recent reviews on that other site and so I came in here to get more data.

Reactions: TheTalkingMule
I need data on customer service for those that installed panels with Tesla.

Solar city actually installed my panels in 2015, and the experience was fine. No issues.

The energy section of TMC is one of the nicest places I have found on the internet. Its like a lost era, where people actually try to help each other with real problems and real questions, rather than all the #@$%%@$%# that goes on in most of the internet, and quite a bit of this site.

The reason for my "questions" is there doesnt seem to be real question here other than "what do YOU all think about these bad reviews I found elsewhere???", and thats kind of not what this section of TMC has been about.

I guess I am just holding on for dear life to a place where I learn something almost every day, without a bunch of the senseless @Q#$Q@ that you find in other places, including places here.

You are no "newbie" to tesla, you have more posts than I do here. Is tesla perfect, you know they are not. They try hard, but make mistakes like most other companies. They also have a very "eccentric" leader who is both part genius and madman.

What other information do you want other than that, that you dont already have, other than a link to a website with a bunch of whatever reviews? maybe you have some specific questions about issues you are having?

(sorry for editing while you were rating the post. not intentional)

Last edited:
Have to say that our experience going with Tesla has been very positive to this point. We gave our deposit in January, had two lengthy conversations with them one before and one after submitting our photos, learning about the spec’d equipment and answering our questions about our needs, installation and contract questions. We had gone with the bundled 2 PW system at that early stage in February. Just as our main panel was about to be upgraded in early March, Covid shut down the work. In the meantime we reconsidered our two PWs and decided to increase it to 3, in case in the future the electrical code changed and became more restrictive on battery backup placement and such (one fire jurisdiction is in the process and making it retroactive), plus the fact it would be more expensive long term to add another one later. Turns out Tesla had dropped the pricing on additional units so we happily had them modify our contract to added the third, no problems with them doing so. Our Permit office has been closed during this time but this week our electrician was able to come out and do the rough in of the new panel and get the inspection approval today (now for the stucco work). Our electrician informed us that as of today our city’s permit office was able to take online permits so we called Tesla Energy to let them know, and they had their permitting team submit our modified permit application today. They said when the city approves it, they will schedule our solar/PW install.

Honestly in our case everything has gone smoothly from their end. The photos were easy to submit, they told us about getting our HOA’s approval upfront, which we did. No additional payments for all the work they’d done to date beyond the $100 deposit, 1/2 when they show up and then balance on final install date as I recall. Before we signed our contract they were able to get the roof layout/specs to us in a few days, we reviewed, had a revision to them which they made and sent a new layout to us within a few days. Our contract was done quickly. When they went for the permit they were informed by the City that we would need a higher bus bar amperage so needed to upgrade our panel. Tesla had no way of knowing this as our label had fallen off our main panel a while back but the city checked our developer’s plans. Tesla’s guy that did panel upgrades (a big job in and of itself really) was scheduled out for some time so we asked if we could have our own electrician do the work which is what we did just to speed installation along. Anyway, hope to be hooked up in a few weeks if they can get us scheduled before the end of the month. BTW we’ve been talking to Energy in Nevada this whole time after putting down our deposit by phone and email. No problems there either.

The major issue I’ve had in the 18 months since getting panels installed were service calls. This seems to have gotten better. In the beginning it took 6 weeks or more to schedule a call (meaning that was the time when you would get someone to show up for anything). Recently that has been cut to two weeks and they have been sending people out proactively (which was a shock). I think they have ramped up staff and can handle issues better now, which is great.

I also had to have a Solar Edge inverter replaced shortly after install which was a pain but was done relatively quickly (several weeks, not the six week variety, because it was an emergency).

Had the Powerwalls installed last summer and that went about perfectly with no issues.

So, things have been improving. Besides the original solar inverter issues and some firmware upgrades to fine tune things, the system (now panels and PWs) has run well.

• Helpful
Reactions: ggies07
I need data on customer service for those that installed panels with Tesla.
I work with a solar installer in SW VA. The vast, vast majority of systems we install require no additional service. We are pleased to say they mostly work. One data point with over 8100 panels installed we have replaced 5. Two were rocks from mowers on a ground mount. One a stray bullet. And just the other day a mower ran into another ground mount system requiring the fire department to cut him out damaging two panels. If it were not for mowers our service calls would be nearly 0.

Thank you to those who replied with helpful comments. Everything I've read says the installation went smoothly, it was the customer service from then to getting the system turned on that was horrible or when they needed an inverter replaced, but I'm glad to know it's not all bad.

Reactions: boaterva
So yes, communication does really seem that bad. I got multiple quotes from other companies and they could all do live, on the spot changes to the system config and yet Tesla can't even do one simple thing.

I took the plunge and went with Tesla and this is what they sent me as my "customer layout". How in the hell am I able to see what the layout on my roof looks like? And 0 kWh annual production?

So I emailed the "senior advisor" I had been talking to and he said he would let the design team know. That was 2 business days ago and then today I get more emails saying there are new links attached to my account about HOA and new electricity provider and then wanting me to "Review and Accept" for payment details.

I don't know what it looks like, I haven't been told the monthly usage estimates, so no, I'm not signing anything yet.

I don't get it....

Capture.JPG

Their communication seems to be lacking. Elon runs things right and is trying offer a lean product. This is 100% the way to go, there are just going to be some early issues and service is definitely one of them.

All that being said..... You have to understand Tesla is pretty much the only large solar operation that doesn't rely on wildly expensive door-to-door sales and referrals. This site caters to that sales world and therefore is heavily incentivized to trash Tesla.

You can draw a parallel to the treatment of TSLA on CNBC. Hedge funds pay the bills at CNBC so they get to drive the narrative. Tesla is never going to give these referral-bots any revenue.

• Helpful
Reactions: ggies07