Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Financing more difficult than most?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems I have been seeing a lot of threads about people being denied financing, even with good credit and offering to put down a 20K+ down payment. Has anyone had any problems? My situation may be a little unique.
I have been living abroad for the last 12 years so my US credit report is rather empty apart from one credit card that has never had a late payment--in fact its rarely used and has a zero balance most months (this might be a bad thing). I have financed a vehicle and a house in China which I paid off, but I know that will not help me here.

I am a business owner, therefore I will write off everything possible to save on taxes; home office, personal health insurance, vehicle expenses etc but it looks like this year I will not be able to get away with reporting anything less than 40K. My real household income is actually close to 100K as we own a business in China that is totally under my wife's name, and because she has not received a green-card yet, I file taxes as married filing separately (at the advice of my accountant).

Based on my above situation how likely is it that Tesla financial might could work with me? I am looking at either a new Model 3 or a CPO Model S. I would be comfortable putting 10-15K down.

I think it’s hard to comment on your specific situation however I found Tesla to be easier than local credit unions. Tesla required no documents and zero down for me, granted I will not be putting zero down. Credit unions wanted pay stubs etc. In general lenders can get a lot of info simply from your credit report.

I also have found Tesla to be very easy to finance thru. Be advised that Tesla does not do its own financing they have an understanding and working relationship with about three or four main banks. Its not Tesla that is denying or making it difficult for a few of their customers. The banks Tesla currently is using is CHASE, US BANK, TD BANK and one other one I dont remember .

Err Tesla financing is easy as pie. They can usually find an offer from the 3-4 banks they partner with.

The only challenge is getting a good rate . I got 3.9 from Tesla finance and got 2.26 on my own.