Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Tesla giving out personal information?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So something interesting happened to me the other day. I get a call from a random number while i was at work. i did not answer but the person left a voicemail. I listen to said voicemail and that individual asked me if i was selling my car. I found that troubling since i just purchased my MS (from a third party). So i called the person back and try to get more information.

After a couple of minutes of talking to him, i learned that: someone was using my MS to scam other people. The "seller" posted my car with vin and photos (assuming he took that information when it was original posted by the person i bought from) on several websites for 30k (2014 with AP1). So a great deal, if true. But this "seller" was out of the country and needed the money sent via money order and that the car can be picked up at some storage place. Typical scam bs.

where it gets interesting is how this person finds me. He said that he knew that the deal was too good to be true but wanted to see where this goes. So he runs the vin and it keeps coming back to me as the owner. He was somehow able to obtain my contact information (probably from contacting Tesla) and then calls me.

So my question is: how do i stop tesla from giving out my personal information?

give me your vin and I can find you without calling Tesla, you just have to go through the DMV.. or just good old google.

Everybody sells your info for money, the DMV, Banks, Credit Cards, Insurance,Equifax, if they don't you can the data that has been hacked and dumped on the internet pretty easy too.

Are you an Attorney in Stockton CA?

Last edited:
I am but my personal phone number
give me your vin and I can find you without calling Tesla, you just have to go through the DMV.. or just good old google.

Everybody sells your info for money, the DMV, Banks, Credit Cards, Insurance,Equifax, if they don't you can the data that has been hacked and dumped on the internet pretty easy too.

Are you an Attorney in Stockton CA?

maybe ;)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
My bet is it's the California DMV.

You can apply for Vehicle registration information here:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/3d039f6c-a66c-4810-ae80-ab42d6052da1/inf70.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
Hm, I thought recent laws had changed that so non-official sources couldn’t get that information.... and that’s what that form says. Unless people are forging documents.. nah, can’t be!

Back in the day, anyone could pay a few bucks and with a license plate number, get the rest of the registration. I thought all that was stopped to prevent stalkers, and the like. Is no one checking on who is submitting these things?

So something interesting happened to me the other day. I get a call from a random number while i was at work. i did not answer but the person left a voicemail. I listen to said voicemail and that individual asked me if i was selling my car. I found that troubling since i just purchased my MS (from a third party). So i called the person back and try to get more information.

After a couple of minutes of talking to him, i learned that: someone was using my MS to scam other people. The "seller" posted my car with vin and photos (assuming he took that information when it was original posted by the person i bought from) on several websites for 30k (2014 with AP1). So a great deal, if true. But this "seller" was out of the country and needed the money sent via money order and that the car can be picked up at some storage place. Typical scam bs.

where it gets interesting is how this person finds me. He said that he knew that the deal was too good to be true but wanted to see where this goes. So he runs the vin and it keeps coming back to me as the owner. He was somehow able to obtain my contact information (probably from contacting Tesla) and then calls me.

So my question is: how do i stop tesla from giving out my personal information?
Now the way someone can get your information is diversified, why would you say it was from Tesla?