Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla holding back on MY performance acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So I got my MY performance today with the upgrade. So in love. I’m coming from a 335i with upgraded turbos which I still have. The MY performance simply quicker without a doubt, but do you guys think Tesla is holding back on it’s true performance ?

I drove my friends model 3 performance and it’s define my a lot quicker. Which the MY is heavier and less aerodynamic, I personally don’t think it would make that huge of a difference. My friend told me Tesla came out with an update that boosted it even faster. So you guys think Tesla will do the same or is this MY already updated? I would be interested to know.

The from standstill launch performance is determined by a software setting called max torque. Although we don't know what at what number it is set, it almost certainly is set below the motor limits. It is possible that setting was left at the same default as the P3 which, being heaver, will always make the PY slightly slower.

The higher frontal area's aerodynamic effect has little performance impact until much higher speeds.

To answer the thread title, yes, Tesla holds back performance on every car for warranty cost as well as positioning reasons. Likely the 3/Y as higher volume, lower margin cars than the S/X were built with less headroom.

Last edited:
I have heard that the P3 has more of an aggressive kick when stomping the throttle vs the Y. That is most likely what would be most noticeable when feeling the Y being slower (other than the fact that it factually is a bit slower I mean). I'd imagine that could be changed by jacking up the launch torque a bit, not sure if they could reliably though (probably).

Hey guys,

So I got my MY performance today with the upgrade. So in love. I’m coming from a 335i with upgraded turbos which I still have. The MY performance simply quicker without a doubt, but do you guys think Tesla is holding back on it’s true performance ?

I drove my friends model 3 performance and it’s define my a lot quicker. Which the MY is heavier and less aerodynamic, I personally don’t think it would make that huge of a difference. My friend told me Tesla came out with an update that boosted it even faster. So you guys think Tesla will do the same or is this MY already updated? I would be interested to know.

This is great information and yes, Tesla has not allowed full torque on the Y yet...they will probably update it later. The Model y batter is 7% larger and horsepower advantage over Model 3 is similar according to this testing device used.

How are you finding the fun to drive factor compared to the 335I....I have a 228I with the M Sport package and I think I'll keep it for fun driving when I'm bored of my Y.

Model Y battery is not 7% larger. The youtuber was misinterpreting the readings (he mentioned so in the comments). Same battery, they probably just dialed up the power a bit to help offset the weight and aero differences. Hopefully that doesn't mean there isn't anymore room to turn it up a bit more. Or maybe just adjust the power to give more off the line.

This is great information and yes, Tesla has not allowed full torque on the Y yet...they will probably update it later. The Model y batter is 7% larger and horsepower advantage over Model 3 is similar according to this testing device used.

How are you finding the fun to drive factor compared to the 335I....I have a 228I with the M Sport package and I think I'll keep it for fun driving when I'm bored of my Y.

That would be awesome if Tesla updates the model Ys torque profile, I really enjoyed the lunch the m3 has but for an SUV, this acceleration is more than enough.

The 335i is tiny bit more fun IMO. The power is a lot more raw, the sound it makes and the rear wheel sliding action makes it more attractive. Not to mention, the BMW community is very active, there are plenty car meets to attend, cool ppl to meet and do canyon runs with etc. the Tesla is super fast in a more organized and composed way, but still very fun. That’s just me though, to each their own.

Been some interesting tests with impact of wheel weight and tires on acceleration with the Model 3/Y. Short answer is smaller and lighter wheel/tire package has a huge impact on acceleration and range. There is an 18" setup (Martian MW03) that are supposed to be super-light

In the link I posted a couple of posts up. Also several seat of the pants observations from people that have owned the Model 3 and now driving the Y indicates the same.
Not trying to be difficult, but how would you know Tesla has not allowed full torque yet? Have they publicly said that? I have not seen that said anywhere before.

The idea of "full torque" is nonsense. Tesla sets and occasionally increases max torque settings. There is no unlimited torque setting because without a max torque setting the motor would quickly destroy itself. Also the torque setting is matched to the tires.

In addition, the torque setting on the PY has to be higher than the P3. When you see the graph at 9:20 in Brooks Weisblat's DragTimes video above, the slope of the initial increase in power is considerably steeper on the PY. The difference in slope is due to a difference in torque. If someone wants to send me a PM with Brooks Weisblat's email I will ask him for the CANBus data to check. Normally we have been calculating the implied torque from that slope, but of course the CANBus data stream has torque embedded in it.

For me, the most interesting thing about that graph is the flatness of the power output after the peak on the Y. Brook comments on that briefly. Assuming the battery is the same, and that there are no major inverter breakthroughs, how can both motors have better Back EMF characteristics unless they are both new motor designs, either larger or more efficient? Even if the X axis is time instead of speed, the difference is mysteriously large.

Last edited:
Reactions: Siryozha