Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla holding back ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it will take Tesla a few years to catch up the the cool features category in its price class but I don't' think they are holding back. It takes development time and they were obviously in a hurry to get the car out and to stop bleeding cash. Hopefully most of these features can be added back later to the early customers.

I agree with you Dave. But in order to be competitive with premium brand cars I think that Tesla should hurry a little bit. I think that within this year Tesla should implement at least some more features (power folding mirrors, parking sensors) and the rest of the features (ACC, AWD, blind spot) should be implemented within next year, otherwise Tesla Model S wouldn't be competitive with brands like BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

I agree with you Dave. But in order to be competitive with premium brand cars I think that Tesla should hurry a little bit. I think that within this year Tesla should implement at least some more features (power folding mirrors, parking sensors) and the rest of the features (ACC, AWD, blind spot) should be implemented within next year, otherwise Tesla Model S wouldn't be competitive with brands like BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

My guess is they'll roll some of these out later this year and into next year with the Model X launch. Would be a good way to see how some of these systems hold up for the Model X.

I'd love to see the folding mirrors on my wifes Model X. She broke 3 mirrors getting in, or out of the garage on the Tahoe. Then I got her the Tahoe with folding mirrors so she ripped the whole assembly off on a mailbox. :smile:

Al this is the second time that you make me laugh so much :)

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. The feature of incredible efficiency and low fueling costs, provided by the all electric drivetrain, that no ICE has, was more important than some other features that ICE's may have. Apparently you don't yet realize you bought the Model S because it was an EV.

You are right and I agree with you but not everybody think like this. For some people low fueling costs may be less important than other features. And if Tesla wants to be competitive with other premium brand cars all the features should be implemented on Model S.

Last edited:
Al this the second time that you make me laugh so much :)

- - - Updated - - -

You are right and I agree with you but not everybody think like this. For some people low fueling costs may be less important than other features. And if Tesla wants to be competitive with other premium brand cars all the features should be implemented on Model S.

And when are the premium brand cars with all the bells and whistles so many are clamoring for on this site going to get the one big premium we already have -- an electric drive train with outstanding range? Don't hold your breath.

I have no doubt that Tesla will add most if not all of these premium features. Let's just give them some time. And they'll be available long before Mercedes, BMW, Audi, et. al. get around to developing a comparable all-electric drive train.

And when are the premium brand cars with all the bells and whistles so many are clamoring for on this site going to get the one big premium we already have -- an electric drive train with outstanding range? Don't hold your breath.

I have no doubt that Tesla will add most if not all of these premium features. Let's just give them some time. And they'll be available long before Mercedes, BMW, Audi, et. al. get around to developing a comparable all-electric drive train.

Yes I agree with you. I only meant that some people, not me, buy a car without paying much attention to wether it's an ICE car or an EV car. I would like to point out the fact that unluckily not everybody cares so much as we do on TMC about green cars. In the end the average buyer wants to have a car that has all features. And if Tesla wants to be competitive on the market with premium brand cars this fact should be considered.

Last edited:
Let's also not forget that demand for the Model S is already outstripping production so there isn't too much need to make the car even more desirable at this point.

I think you got the main point. The true problem with Tesla Model S is not so much that of the features that are missing but the very long delivery time. Now I don't know how, this is a problem that I would like Elon solved, Tesla should first shorten significantly the delivery time and then implement the missing features on Model S in order to make it more desirable.

Last edited:
I would like additional features. I will miss the heated steering wheel, the auto adjusting and turning headlights, interior cubby storage, automated crash alert to a human monitoring center, parking sensors, blind spot detection, lane departure warnings and other features of my two Mercedes Benz. However, the reason for me buying the Performance S is the fantastic performance, the ultra quiet, and the fantastic smooth -no lag- response. No ICE can compare. Nothing drives quite the same. Sealing the deal is the fact that it is built and fueled in America.

Getting back to the original thread's title...Other than "perhaps" letting the Model X take the lead with AWD I don't believe Tesla is holding features back, they just need time. For now positive cash flow is king and without that there won't all the features people want.

Exactly. The feature of incredible efficiency and low fueling costs, provided by the all electric drivetrain, that no ICE has, was more important than some other features that ICE's may have. Apparently you don't yet realize you bought the Model S because it was an EV.

Final thoughts, I promise :smile: I most certainly do recognize the value of the EV drivetrain. As I say, I've done my homework, weighed the pros and cons and Model S comes out on top. There is no doubt there. But this thread (and others like it) are about "missing" features on a car in this price bracket. For me, Model S is the best decision, but I wish it had been more feature complete. Aside from the missing tech features, I even find the lack of door and seat back pockets odd. But is is very personal. For example, I don't get the hullabaloo over power folding mirrors. I can't imagine why anyone needs them, but that's just me!

It is important for Tesla to add the missing luxury car features is order sell the Model S to buyers who are not EV early adopters. Most of us have purchased the Model S specfically because it has an electric drivetrain or because of benefits that only an electric drivetrain can deliver. We are willing to look past the lack of features or amenities we had in other luxury cars (or basic cars in the case of cubbies and rear seat cupholders!). But to grow and prosper the Model S has to be successful in the broader luxury car market, where the buyer is not necessarily seeking an electric vehicle. Those buyers will not be as willing to overlook the missing features. I'm optimistic that Tesla can reach its 2013 sales goal selling to EV early adopters, but doubt that they can grow that number in 2014 without being feature competitive.

Last edited:
It is important for Tesla to add the missing luxury car features is order sell the Model S to buyers who are not EV early adopters. Most of us have purchased the Model S specfically because it has an electric drivetrain or because of benefits that only an electric drivetrain can deliver. We are willing to look past the lack of features or amenities we had in other luxury cars (or basic cars in the case of cubbies and rear seat cupholders!). But to grow and prosper the Model S has to be successful in the broader luxury car market, where the buyer is not necessarily seeking an electric vehicle. Those buyers will not be as willing to overlook the missing features. I'm optimistic that Tesla can reach its 2013 sales goal selling to EV early adopters, but doubt that they can grow that number in 2014 without being feature competitive.

I agree with you Dennis. This is what I meant before. But in order to increase the sales goal an effort is needed from Tesla to decrease the delivery time. I think other production sites are necessary which is not easy. It means big investements on Tesla.

But Elon said he wants the Model S to be the world's best car, not the world's best electric car. So Tesla cannot cloak the missing amenities with the "but it's an EV" banner.

He also qualified it by adding "in every area that matters". Obviously that means "matters to Elon". If you agree and Elon think the same things matter, then you'll think it's the best car--otherwise you'll likely think it's the best electric car.

He also qualified it by adding "in every area that matters". Obviously that means "matters to Elon". If you agree and Elon think the same things matter, then you'll think it's the best car--otherwise you'll likely think it's the best electric car.

I could go without the phone link on my car but I think everything else EXCEPT the MISSING O-sh$% handles is perfect! (maybe a soft horn too)