Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla is using Scrum? Should they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised no one mentioned DevOps. The next big natural evolution
from Agile.

4 weeks to prod is feasible only of you do agile development and practice DevOps. Automated testing, self-service provisioning followed by automated deployments. With IaaS and PaaS waterfall is like going back to mainframe era.

Waterfall : ITIL --- Agile : DevOps

scrum is just an excuse for not documenting your code and rushing things to production before they are properly designed and thoroughly tested. this isn't surprising considering all the functional and non-functional (performance, reliability) bugs they have in their UI.

+1000

Typical Telephone debugging session I have been involved with for Agile developed systems while at a customer site:

Developer: "Can you get me remote access?"
Developer: "I'm in"
<furious keyboarding>
Developer: "Try it now"
Me: "Nope"
<even more furious keyboarding>
Developer:"Now?"
Me:"Hmm, maybe, but I should really run through the whole test plan before..."
Developer: "No. I fixed it. Call me back if it doesn't work. "
Me: "Well, what was the problem so in case I see something similar I can..."
Developer: "I just fixed it, OK?"
Me: "Well, are you going to open a defect so we can track it just in case..."
Developer:"No we don't do that. It's fixed"

Can't wait to try & go to Mars on that methodology.

- - - Updated - - -

I am surprised no one mentioned DevOps. The next big natural evolution
from Agile.

4 weeks to prod is feasible only of you do agile development and practice DevOps. Automated testing, self-service provisioning followed by automated deployments. With IaaS and PaaS waterfall is like going back to mainframe era.

Waterfall : ITIL --- Agile : DevOps

ROTFL, what do you think Cloud Computing is? IBM mainframe OS's were instantiating virtual environments since the early '70s.

+1000

Typical Telephone debugging session I have been involved with for Agile developed systems while at a customer site:

Developer: "Can you get me remote access?"
Developer: "I'm in"

Developer: "Try it now"
Me: "Nope"

Developer:"Now?"
Me:"Hmm, maybe, but I should really run through the whole test plan before..."
Developer: "No. I fixed it. Call me back if it doesn't work. "
Me: "Well, what was the problem so in case I see something similar I can..."
Developer: "I just fixed it, OK?"
Me: "Well, are you going to open a defect so we can track it just in case..."
Developer:"No we don't do that. It's fixed"

Can't wait to try & go to Mars on that methodology.

LOL exactly. The other thing I see a lot out of this is a lot of c++ classes that behave more like a sequential C API and no real thought given to the responsibility of the class. Also drives me nuts when I see simple getter and setter methods that completely break encapsulation. They might as well just make the damn member public if their going to write bad code.

-snort- As I used to explain to some team members who displayed a similar attitude, "We were all the smartest one in our class, too. Time to get over it." Seriously, no reason to be rude to everyone. It's not cool, it doesn't contribute to the conversation, so why bother posting anything at all?

-snort- As I used to explain to some team members who displayed a similar attitude, "We were all the smartest one in our class, too. Time to get over it." Seriously, no reason to be rude to everyone. It's not cool, it doesn't contribute to the conversation, so why bother posting anything at all?

Sounds like something a certified scrum master would say - person getting paid six figures to do a job that a college intern should be doing. But the fact that scrum some hell between a micro-managers wet dream and crap 99% of the time is EXTREMELY relevant to this discussion despite you feeling that it may be "negative"

Sounds like something a certified scrum master would say - person getting paid six figures to do a job that a college intern should be doing. But the fact that scrum some hell between a micro-managers wet dream and crap 99% of the time is EXTREMELY relevant to this discussion despite you feeling that it may be "negative"

I only found the fact you were giving one word opinions to be negative. People can judge for themselves the value of what you have to say.

I've never worked as a scrum master, so not sure why you felt the need to throw out an insult about it (and why it would be an insult). I will say this, however: I've seen it work as advertised and produce really great product. I've also seen some spectacular face plants. Your experience seems to have been more limited.

I second Bonnie on that. The waterfall methodology is so frustratingly rigid, slow to infuse changes into the requirements with ridiculously long product cycles and time to markets, that often the product is obsolete when it goes to production.

As the development cycle progresses, it is often apparent that some of the design and functional decisions made early on needs tweaking. The waterfall methodology is absolutely inefficient to adapting to those mid-flight changes.

Finally you get a product out, that IT thinks they got it right on what the business wanted and years late, but the business folks have moved on. They are now looking at a 3rd party solutions at half the price.

A senior VP from Chef (also known as Opscode) gave an amazing speech on DevOps and Agile methodology focusing on Infrastructure deployments. He has worked decades in GE before moving onto Chef.