Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is TESLA Launching a “NEW Hydrogen Car”???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not ready to believe nor to dismiss the story, just trying to find and to evaluate the source.
I’ll save you time… it’s not true and the story was made for one purpose - views. You won’t find a decent source because it’s nonsense.

Elon has been pretty clear on this - not happening. It would be a big step backwards. Hydrogen is not the miracle solution people pretend it is. Lower efficiency, higher cost, etc. So why would the first successful EV company suddenly toss their plans to change everything (vehicles, supercharging, etc) to hydrogen?

I searched Twitter archives and found reference to an April 1 (April Fools Day) post by Elon Musk about Tesla going to hydrogen... I have not yet found the original post to which @meyerjr refers. I hope someone can find it.
<SNIP>-
Jeff Meyer
@meyerjr
·
Apr 1, 2021

Replying to
@WholeMarsBlog
and
@elonmusk
April Fools prank. Especially Elon knows there will be no viable Hydrogen - especially in wheeled vehicle market.
<END SNIP>
Oh boy can’t wait til y’all find out about the phone Tesla ain’t making

Reactions: stopcrazypp
I’ll save you time… it’s not true and the story was made for one purpose - views. You won’t find a decent source because it’s nonsense.

Elon has been pretty clear on this - not happening. It would be a big step backwards. Hydrogen is not the miracle solution people pretend it is. Lower efficiency, higher cost, etc. So why would the first successful EV company suddenly toss their plans to change everything (vehicles, supercharging, e

What I'm looking for is what I suspect may be the source of the story...an April Fool's Twitter post by @elonmusk. I don't believe the story is true, but I'd like to find the source of the story. What was the reason someone decided to say there will be fuel cell Teslas? Who first said it? The earliest mention I've found is the 1 Apr 22 Tweet by @meyerjr which is a reply. I'd like to see the tweet to which Jeff Meyer is replying.

What I'm looking for is what I suspect may be the source of the story...an April Fool's Twitter post by @elonmusk. I don't believe the story is true, but I'd like to find the source of the story. What was the reason someone decided to say there will be fuel cell Teslas? Who first said it? The earliest mention I've found is the 1 Apr 22 Tweet by @meyerjr which is a reply. I'd like to see the tweet to which Jeff Meyer is replying.
You will have a good time all over the internet and news channels with all the false / made up information about Tesla, Musk, and anything associated with him. Go look for the phone if you need an example.

I just had this conversation with a friend who is always sending me the latest scare. Here’s the hydrogen slide from Investor Day:
1678074583644.png

He's only talking about making heavy industry sustainable. Hydrogen has always made sense for high-energy applications where electricity is not the best choice, like steel and glass manufacturing and some chemical applications. Hydrogen doesn't make sense for transportation, but there are use cases where it does make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
I just had this conversation with a friend who is always sending me the latest scare. Here’s the hydrogen slide from Investor Day:
View attachment 914348
He's only talking about making heavy industry sustainable. Hydrogen has always made sense for high-energy applications where electricity is not the best choice, like steel and glass manufacturing and some chemical applications. Hydrogen doesn't make sense for transportation, but there are use cases where it does make sense.
🤔

View attachment 914348
As I recall he did explicitly state that for most use-cases CH4 is far preferable to H2. I do also recall that he mentioned metallic hydrogen some years back, because the Isp of the fuel would be tremendous for rocket engines. Then again, metallic hydrogen is nothing more than a laboratory curiosity at this point, if even that. Of course none of this has anything to do with "hydrogen cars" in any near future.