Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla losing its USP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recessed handles of the Model S and Model 3 can be a challenge in freezing conditions with precipitation if you don't put the aircon/heating on early enough before leaving. Had to resort to spraying defroster solution or rubbing warm hands on them to persuade the doors to open on a couple of occasions. Planning...
Off topic response: I read that applying WD40 to the handle hinges via the red applicator prior to cold weather can make a difference so that's what I did in December. Even after rain and a hard frost, a gentle bang with the palm of the hand releases the door handle easily, most times it isn't necessary.

As for lengthy preheating, two days ago was -5º & 10 minutes was enough to preheat to 23º, melt ice on the front/rear screens but using only 2% battery. The drivers window had warmed enough to drop so I prefer the WD40 approach to preheating for longer.

if the only USP is being the current best EV maker, I think that could go down hill pretty fast now

It could. If the other options appeal to enough people. There seems to be some competition finally emerging.

I plan to replace my Model S next year. If there is something better that gives me the same confidence in being able to get to my destination and back together with an uncluttered interior and simple 'dealership' relations then I'll consider it.

It seems to me that the supercharger network could emerge as the most distinguishing feature that separates Tesla from the competition. And we know from previous Elon announcements that Tesla is open to making that available for other vehicles in service of Tesla's bigger mission. If that happened then BEVs would likely become even more appealing.

With what I know now it looks like I'll be placing an order for a new Model S for delivery next February/March. Partly because it's what I know. Mostly because of all the various cars I've had the Tesla has been the one I've found I want to drive even if I don't need to travel anywhere. Not that I would take a needless journey, that's just wasteful.

Of the other vehicles available in the UK now, none appeal to me more than a Model S. Some due to previous dealership experiences (VAG - all brands), most due to them being OK but not great. For example, driving the iPace was really nice but its 'traditional' interior, high price, and 'toe in the water' nature together with regular charging access made a Model 3 for my SO a simple choice.

:) Unique Selling Proposition (or Point )
It was the MFW that threw me... USP has been a commercial thing since Adam was a lad! But then I do have Google so it's no great challenge to find these things out ..

I was tempted to use a LMGTFY link for USP but the results...

Even after reading the urban dictionary MFW still leaves me '??' but then my internet days started with dial-up so I suppose I'm at best 'adorkable' and more likely just outmoded.

• Funny
Reactions: OttoR
Off topic response: I read that applying WD40 to the handle hinges via the red applicator prior to cold weather can make a difference so that's what I did in December. Even after rain and a hard frost, a gentle bang with the palm of the hand releases the door handle easily, most times it isn't necessary.

FWIW, although WD40 may offer a short term fix, it's not really a good lubricant. Best long term fix for all issues like this I've found is aerosol motorcycle chain lube, ideally the clear stuff (just because it's less visible). Fitted with a WD40 type nozzle tube, a little bit of this squirted in to any pivot penetrates well, as it goes in as a very thin liquid, then turns into a persistent gel, that provides really effective long term lubrication and helps to seal pivots and hinges to stop water getting in. It also has the advantage of being formulated to be safe on plastics and rubber, has to be, so it doesn't damage the nitrile rubber O seals in chains.

I was tempted to use a LMGTFY link for USP but the results...

Even after reading the urban dictionary MFW still leaves me '??' but then my internet days started with dial-up so I suppose I'm at best 'adorkable' and more likely just outmoded.
'The Urban Dictionary' says this:

MFW
Abbreviation for "My Face When". Started as a way to respond to posts that a poster usually disagrees with in some manner, and is typically done to mock or troll said poster.

'The Urban Dictionary' says this:

MFW
Abbreviation for "My Face When". Started as a way to respond to posts that a poster usually disagrees with in some manner, and is typically done to mock or troll said poster.
Not a disagreement and not mocking it was more the fact that I read the entire thread and no one gave a clue as to what USP meant. I got news for the boomers, mfw is way more ubiquitous than USP.

• Funny
Reactions: NewbieT
The problem with both the Tesla’s I have had is it takes a few months to deal with the snags that should have been resolved before I took delivery. Never had so many crappy little issues off the bat with any other car. It’s just a PITA to deal with. I have better ways to spend my time quibbling about scratches, condensation on lights and faulty cameras etc. etc. Choice not there yet but will be in three or four years. Would be surprised if another Tesla ended up in the drive.

So if the only USP is being the current best EV maker, I think that could go down hill pretty fast now ....

Our X has been the most unreliable car we have ever owned by a country mile, just this week the passengers side window wouldn’t close - great when its -10c with windchill.

I think I now realise what keeps me with Tesla when standing there manhandling the passengers side window, is the power to suprise owning a Tesla offers.

When you go for a drive you literally have no idea what might break, when the dash computer might freeze, or on Autopilot when it might decide to brake check the driver behind for laughs.

But thrown in with the bad is the little nuggets of good, like when sitting at the traffic lights wonder when no one is moving AP 'sees' and shows you a red light far ahead out of human vision. Or the pièce de résistance, pretending to be a convertible but without the wind/cold.

50932778581_e12ebd7cc8_k_d.jpg

I've realised Tesla's ture USP is the same thing that keeps drug barons in power, and off licenses open at 1am, the promise of excitement and the power of addiction :).

Everyone says they want to be happy but we know from psychological studies thats not ture.

A Kia eNiro is cheap, reliable, practical, with loads of range, but its like taking a holiday in your own house with family.......Owning a Tesla is like getting off a train in a random European town at 3am whilst clutching your inter ralling ticket and walking off with the most reliable looking random offering up their accommodation. I know which of those options is suppose to be the 'best' but I also know 23 years later which one of those events I still remeber every detail about :).

Last edited:
/QUOTE]
Maybe phantom breaking is actually a safety device? Trains Audi drivers not to drive 6 inches from the bumper of a Tesla just in case...

Remember from the insurance point of view its always the fault of the driver behind if they crash into you :).

I was very seriously looking at the Taycan, but I know the moment I sell our X I will regret and want it back.

Life is about drama, and excitement, our X isn't just a car to move me from A to B, it brings drama and makes life more interesting.....I've never owned any other car that comes close to generating the kind of emotion Tesla's cause - maybe I need a more exciting life :).

Reactions: Yachtsman
I think Tesla are in a balancing act at the moment. As the dominant EV manufacturer that sells everything it can make, and as the one most likely to be able to service growing demand due to their in-house cell manufacturing they can focus on production rates over customer satisfaction.

Fortunately many of the processes that streamline and reduce production costs also have knock on benefits, such as the front and rear castings aiding with panel alignment, so things are moving in the right direction.

I’m not convinced the competition is coming at all and I wish it would. Competition is healthy.