Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla losing its USP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm being lazy and asking here rather than searching for myself, but how will these large castings affect reparability if they get damaged?

If the as the accident isn't hard enough that battery doesn't get damaged or all air bags going off, both of which is a likely to write off an S/X/3 anyway, the casts can be cut and new ones welded in at specific points.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Our X has been the most unreliable car we have ever owned by a country mile, just this week the passengers side window wouldn’t close - great when its -10c with windchill.

I think I now realise what keeps me with Tesla when standing there manhandling the passengers side window, is the power to suprise owning a Tesla offers.

When you go for a drive you literally have no idea what might break, when the dash computer might freeze, or on Autopilot when it might decide to brake check the driver behind for laughs.

But thrown in with the bad is the little nuggets of good, like when sitting at the traffic lights wonder when no one is moving AP 'sees' and shows you a red light far ahead out of human vision. Or the pièce de résistance, pretending to be a convertible but without the wind/cold.

50932778581_e12ebd7cc8_k_d.jpg

I've realised Tesla's ture USP is the same thing that keeps drug barons in power, and off licenses open at 1am, the promise of excitement and the power of addiction :).

Everyone says they want to be happy but we know from psychological studies thats not ture.

A Kia eNiro is cheap, reliable, practical, with loads of range, but its like taking a holiday in your own house with family.......Owning a Tesla is like getting off a train in a random European town at 3am whilst clutching your inter ralling ticket and walking off with the most reliable looking random offering up their accommodation. I know which of those options is suppose to be the 'best' but I also know 23 years later which one of those events I still remeber every detail about :).

We've been lucky with our MX. It has been very reliable over 3 years, 42k miles. Sure the screen freezes occasionally, requiring a re-boot, but not any worse than an average PC! I've noticed it freezes less often now, but takes a lot longer to re-boot (several mins). I used to have a lot of issues with Spotify freezing back in 2018 too, but that was resolved with software updates and has been pretty reliable since. Mechanically and cosmetically it still looks and drives like new. White seats have been really easy to clean too. No issues with the powered doors. Easily, by miles, the best SUV I've ever owned. It's probably the only car I haven't got bored of after 3 years. I love the interior and sublime drivetrain. There is literally no other car on the planet to directly compare. A totally unique vehicle, which is very rare. I really hope they make a gen 2 MX after the refresh. I would be first in the queue!

>>Mentioned here before, but there is a potential issue here with the Model 3 interface, at least for right handed people that haven't grown up with prehensile thumbs. I know from driving a rental car in the US that had a touch screen nav system that it was dead easy to use, as I'm right handed and the screen was on the right. I find the Tesla screen on the left a lot harder to use with my left hand, and have often had to pull over and stop just to turn the wipers on or off this winter<<

Me too. I wonder if very left handed people in the US have the same issue?
The touchscreen looks very snazzy and high tech, but as a user interface for a moving vehicle it is frankly dangerous for many of us.
I often wonder if the dramatic overcorrections often seen on YouTube of FBW aircraft landing in Xwinds are due to the sidestick on the left?

Moderator comment - please use proper quote or reply mechanism to make origin of the quote clear

Last edited by a moderator:
I know which of those options is suppose to be the 'best' but I also know 23 years later which one of those events I still remeber every detail about :).

Tesla - The Alpha Romeo of the EV world....

To be honest I recon a lot of this will be in the past when Berlin is up and running. They have been improving in leaps and bounds from the Roadster generation to the S/X posh owners and now the M3 plebs like me... Go back to 2015-16 on this forum for a laugh.

If you take a look at where the company is focused, they don't even care about existing customers in the long term. Their mission is about that commercial taxi fleet and energy arbitrage. This is just a temporary stage.

I'm being lazy and asking here rather than searching for myself, but how will these large castings affect reparability if they get damaged?

Sandy Munro, who was strongly recommending a move to one piece mega castings, did make the comment that you can have reliability or repairability but (unfortunately) not both.

This applies to the structural battery pack too.

The result would be great improvements in build quality, panel fitting accuracy, structural rigidity and a reduction in manufacturing costs... some concessions to repairability may be possible to include but it would appear that some reduction would be inevitable.

Me too. I wonder if very left handed people in the US have the same issue?

Left handed people already live in a right handed world so we have to deal with these kinds of issues all the time. We have to make an extra effort to use right handed systems whether it’s more difficult or not ... welcome to my world!

Sandy Munro, who was strongly recommending a move to one piece mega castings, did make the comment that you can have reliability or repairability but (unfortunately) not both.

This applies to the structural battery pack too.

The result would be great improvements in build quality, panel fitting accuracy, structural rigidity and a reduction in manufacturing costs... some concessions to repairability may be possible to include but it would appear that some reduction would be inevitable.

I think the way things are going anyway with crash safety regs, repairability is lower down the priority list. Manufacturers are using energy dissipation throughout the whole car to improve overall safety, it just means that in medium sized accidents, the whole thing gets written off. Better for vehicle occupants though!

I had a two and half year old Prius written off that looked as if it only had minor damage. It still drove OK, none of the glass or lights were damaged, the airbags hadn't gone off, but there was enough body shell distortion to make the thing uneconomic to repair (although not enough to stop any of the doors from opening, even the rear hatch still opened, and it was a rear-end shunt). The cost was all in the body repairs, and some of the parts prices were outrageous, especially given that many of the damaged parts were plastic mouldings.

I would think that any crash that damages a part of any car chassis that is so far "inside" the car will result in a write-off. As a minimum it would be classed as a Cat S which means that the vehicle would have to be re-registered with DVLA.

The new Audi coupe , the Jag , the VW family including a great looking Skoda concept due this year, BMW i4 and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head ...

granted the supercharger network is a big advantage for Tesla , but Rapid chargers are in the increase ... it won’t be long before that won’t matter as much

I do like my M3P, it’s a great car ... I’m just wondering how long Tesla will have the advantage, I don’t think it will be long

Rapid chargers do not cut it for distance work. Always feel sorry for those on 50Kw chargers at the motorway service stations. Happy with 50Kw while I do my supermarket shopping though !

Different people have different priorities. I couldn’t give a fig about entertainment or about the fact that my car can fart. I’ve used a supercharger twice in 23K miles, and both times there was a viable alternative. Autopilot is good, but Tesla’s version is very unreliable, sometimes downright dangerous, and other manufacturers have much better systems.

Not everyone needs blistering performance or the very best range. For these people I can see little advantage in owning a Tesla. In fact if your priority was build quality, comfort and refinement an M3 would not on my shopping list. I’d be more likely to go for an e-tron, despite having less range and performance.
Absolutely this. The EV landscape has changed lots over the past year. I still think if you use superchargers Tesla has a USP but I wish I had a less rattly car. I wish I had a power tailgate. I wish I had a bit more tech in the cabin. As for autopilot? Don't make me laugh. It's next to useless. Shouldn't even be considered a feature. Although most of these things are just minor things. Some don't care about build quality and everything else I miss is nice to have. However, one thing a miss massively from previous cars and the thing that will stop my next car being a Tesla are the headlights. Once you've had dot matrix headlights with main beam auto dimming (that works) you’ll never want to go back. Compared to previous cars the headlights on a Tesla are appalling. Truly bad for LEDs. For For company that prides itself on both tech and safety to put such a low tech safety feature onthe car when more advanced options are available is odd.

Just seen something interesting, of the 500(ish) ID3 sales in the Netherlands, over 50% are now for sale 2nd hand. This would suggest they were bought by the dealers who need to sell them now, either that or the buyers didn't give them a proper try. In addition to this new registrations of ID3's have flatlined so far this year in Norway.

On a personal note I got to see my first ID3 in the flesh this week, it was parked outside a Costco, by the dealer, the car looks alright, very much in the Golf style. If the Model 3 didn't exist and it had a better range I could easily see myself buying one. In all honesty it is the size I would have preferred.

Reactions: Neilio
I can report the Tesla USP of surprising owners is well an truly alive, my passenger side window has become manually operated via pushing it up and down with my hands........I have to say in over 2 decades of owning cars with powered windows I've never had the pleasure of this experience, including a 15 year old Mazda.

£71K I believe was how much our Tesla cost, under 40K miles and just over 3 years old.......Good work Elon, I wonder what the next 'surprise' will be :)