Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Model S Heating/Cooling Effective like ICE cars?

How effective is your Tesla's heating/cooling/air conditioning?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly people are really over exagerating. I live in Montreal and trust me it gets very cold. A few days days a year the temperature *can* drop to below -30 Celsius (0 Celsius is 32 farenheit to give you an idea) and I've had no issues with the heating system. Obviously at that temperature you are wearing boots to keep your feet warm. The only real issue if we could say so is that your mileage will suffer (25%-35% loss in range at a minimum). But at that temperature you just plan ahead and make sure to have more energy then required and also you pre heat the car while it's plugged in in the morning before leaving home. In my opinion the heating is much faster to get to the set temperature in my Tesla then it was with my Lexus. I don't suggest to use the range mode unless you really need extra range to get to your destination - range mode will automatically affect the heating system.

Thank you! Very helpful to know. If its good enough for Montreal it should be good enough for further south ;)

We had that cold blast of Arctic air here recently, with a dump of snow, and I switched from my Tesla to my Tahoe. The first thing I noticed -- or was reminded of -- was how long it took the Tahoe to heat up -- and for short trips that sucks. There's also no app to preheat (like my Leaf and Tesla) but I did use the remote start thinking how long it would take to heat up otherwise. I prefer an electric vehicle over an ICE when it comes to heat for the instant heat, as long as range is not an issue. Then again, our climate here is usually quite mild -- but I still think this is the best answer to your question:

the difference between the tesla heat and an ICE's heat is the penalty paid in lose of range when you use the tesla's heater.

Reactions: Tribaltech
You know the front seats come standard with 3-level seat heaters, right? And if you get the cold weather package, then the rear seats are heated too (as well as the steering wheel, mirrors, and wiper blades). So if your wife gets cold, turn on the seats and let her drive (or hold the wipers!)

Actually, the wipers are not heated. Rather, the windshield is heated where the wipers rest:

Where are the wiper defrosters?

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I have a 2015 S60 and I am from Hong Kong, subtropical climate, from 3'C (37'F) to 30 something 'C (86'F). So I have no idea about extreme cold or extreme heat. But I have no doubt the car heats up and cools much faster than an ICE.

In fact we are having some "major" fluctuations in temp in Hong Kong these few weeks. I usually keep my AC at 24'C (75'F) with fan speed of 4 as I found this most comfortable. The outside temp was 27'C (80'F) when I started driving in the evening, the cabin was comfy. Then I noticed hot air coming out from the vent while I nearly reach my destination. I checked the display for any abnormalities and noted the outside temp was 21'C (70'F). I guess the cabin was getting cooler as the outside temp dropped during the night and the heater kicks in to keep the cabin at 24'C. Rather quick response as I did not notice any change in the cabin temp (apart from hot air blowing at my face), although I would prefer it to keep me comfortable instead of keeping the numbers at 24'C :p

My gf has "cold intolerance", she thinks it's "freezing" when the weather goes below 20'C, and if your wife has similar complaints, make good use of the seat heater. There are times when I don't feel a need for heating while my gf feels "too cold", I can just keep her seat and her warm while keeping the cabin cool.

• Funny
Reactions: Tribaltech
I have a 2015 S60 and I am from Hong Kong, subtropical climate, from 3'C (37'F) to 30 something 'C (86'F). So I have no idea about extreme cold or extreme heat. But I have no doubt the car heats up and cools much faster than an ICE.

In fact we are having some "major" fluctuations in temp in Hong Kong these few weeks. I usually keep my AC at 24'C (75'F) with fan speed of 4 as I found this most comfortable. The outside temp was 27'C (80'F) when I started driving in the evening, the cabin was comfy. Then I noticed hot air coming out from the vent while I nearly reach my destination. I checked the display for any abnormalities and noted the outside temp was 21'C (70'F). I guess the cabin was getting cooler as the outside temp dropped during the night and the heater kicks in to keep the cabin at 24'C. Rather quick response as I did not notice any change in the cabin temp (apart from hot air blowing at my face), although I would prefer it to keep me comfortable instead of keeping the numbers at 24'C :p

My gf has "cold intolerance", she thinks it's "freezing" when the weather goes below 20'C, and if your wife has similar complaints, make good use of the seat heater. There are times when I don't feel a need for heating while my gf feels "too cold", I can just keep her seat and her warm while keeping the cabin cool.

Thank you!! I appreciate the detailed perspective.