Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Model Y coming earlier than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla is at the point they need to push Y out asap, since fall of 2020 will be a battle field for EV SUVs. with Volvo, Audi, Rivian all launch around same quarter; and advantage of having more charge stations fading away. Y need to be out sooner to take first bite into mid size SUV market, or suffer heavy competition from rivals.

I'll predict that the Taycan and the Rivian pickup will be the only new EVs that don't disappoint. Neither are model Y competitors. All other new EVs still face lack of charging infrastructure. None will match the sophistication of Tesla's electronics.

Tesla needs to get the model Y out early because almost no one prefers a sedan with a trunk over a hatch.

Also, Tesla's new GA line will be for the model Y. But all model 3 lines can build the model Y with minor modifications This is how modern vehicle manufacturing works. The ratio of Y to 3 out of both car factories will be determined by demand, not capacity to build the specific model.

Tesla would have designed the model Y when they designed the model 3. They aren't fitting the model Y to the model 3 skateboard. They are doing a planned re-skinning of the model 3.

Tesla simply didn't know enough about how to build EVs to have the model X completely share the model S platform. If/When they develop a new big EV platofrm the S and X will share the same skateboard and be built on the same line.

The big improvement technically in the model Y will be the body in white. The model Y may not weigh more than the model 3 due to Tesla's poor model 3 BIW.

Biggest hint about this so far is the increase of the SR+ from 240 to 250 miles. At least one customer service agent told a customer that it's due to an improvement in the manufacturing process (a lighter car).

The model Y will still have the frontal area disadvantage compared to the model 3, of course. But I expect that local driving will see the two vehicles have similar efficiencies.

A competent BIW will also lower model Y manufacturing cost compared to the 3. If true Tesla will have an incentive to build the Y over the 3.

I don't see any realistic scenario where the Y isn't a huge winner for Tesla. They know how to build the car. It is the right car to build.

I'll predict that the Taycan and the Rivian pickup will be the only new EVs that don't disappoint. Neither are model Y competitors. All other new EVs still face lack of charging infrastructure. None will match the sophistication of Tesla's electronics.

Tesla needs to get the model Y out early because almost no one prefers a sedan with a trunk over a hatch.

Also, Tesla's new GA line will be for the model Y. But all model 3 lines can build the model Y with minor modifications This is how modern vehicle manufacturing works. The ratio of Y to 3 out of both car factories will be determined by demand, not capacity to build the specific model.

Tesla would have designed the model Y when they designed the model 3. They aren't fitting the model Y to the model 3 skateboard. They are doing a planned re-skinning of the model 3.

Tesla simply didn't know enough about how to build EVs to have the model X completely share the model S platform. If/When they develop a new big EV platofrm the S and X will share the same skateboard and be built on the same line.

The big improvement technically in the model Y will be the body in white. The model Y may not weigh more than the model 3 due to Tesla's poor model 3 BIW.

The S and X are currently built on the same line, intermingled in no particular order.