Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Model Y worth purchasing now? Mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price increase, radar removal, possible chip change and switch to LG chem battery, is it worth buying a Y now?

it seems like they have reduce the cost and raise the price at the same time. I am in it for the tech, not brand. LG chef are batteries used in China Gigafactory. They were able to cut prices up to 20% by switching around their supply chain there, including the use of LG chem battery. NCMA is quite new and has not been battered tested like the Panasonic ones.
All these changes seems to make the current model Y less robust.

Thoughts?

With the price increase, radar removal, possible chip change and switch to LG chem battery, is it worth buying a Y now?

it seems like they have reduce the cost and raise the price at the same time. I am in it for the tech, not brand. LG chef are batteries used in China Gigafactory. They were able to cut prices up to 20% by switching around their supply chain there, including the use of LG chem battery. NCMA is quite new and has not been battered tested like the Panasonic ones.

Thoughts?
I just purchased MY after 2019 M3. Best decision ever made. The car does everything as well or better than M3, AWD standard, 326 miles, better tech display monitor and astounding resale value if for any reason you rethink your purchase later. Used MY are selling at or just below new MY prices. I cannot think of one reason to not buy MY except waiting for the yoke steering wheel to be an option but 2023? It’s flawless. The points you raised have certainly not been visible to me and overall Tesla is going to improve quality and production because practice makes perfect.

Thoughts?
There are a couple of scenarios to consider. Do you need a new car at this very moment? If you do, then the MY is probably one of your best options if you are looking for a compact EV SUV, I'd say go for it, despite the alarming trend with the changes you mentioned.
If you can wait 6-18 months to get a new car, I would wait. I love my car, but between the changes you mentioned and the competition that is only going to get better, I would wait and see what's next.

like @Hexo09 said, if you need it now then get it, if you don't then wait.
We will almost certainly be buying a Y, but have no burning need to get it now. So it works out well for our family to wait until we can get one built in Austin, which will probably have the mega castings front and back, maybe it will also have the new battery etc.
In the end you have to understand that what Tesla builds next year will have a series of improvements from the cars its building today.
Comparing my 3 to one built recently is amazing, so many detail changes - but I'd still rather have been driving mine for those three years instead of waiting.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I'd recommend ignoring the whole radar issue. Consumer habits are funny. If a company removes an existing feature, even if its unnecessary, people will complain. To date there's zero evidence that even Teslas equipped with radar will keep using it in the long run. The "tea leaves" say no. But only Tesla knows for sure. Will they backtrack and retrofit radar in radarless cars? I doubt it.

As to batteries, eventually Tesla will start using the 4680 cells in its batteries. But no one knows when this will happen. Will these new cells increase range? Will they instead reduce curb weight? At battery day 2020, Tesla claimed a 16% range increase with the new cells. It's more likely that the use of the 4680 cells will be focused on reducing cost and weight. The cell issue is really a minor point in my opinion when it comes to purchasing a MY.

If you wait to purchase, you might gain some additional minor features. For example, I missed out on boom box and the heated steering wheel. But you will be missing the fun of owning and driving a MY.

Guess what? Things usually get better and less expensive - whenever you buy you'll always think you missed out and should have waited if that's how your mind works. Me? I've had my MY for a year now and love it, don't regret a thing. If you want one buy it because there will never be a better time, but that's just how my mind works.....

Guess what? Things usually get better and less expensive - whenever you buy you'll always think you missed out and should have waited if that's how your mind works. Me? I've had my MY for a year now and love it, don't regret a thing. If you want one buy it because there will never be a better time, but that's just how my mind works.....
True, enjoy when you need it, but it would be annoying if a new tax break will be available and you just miss it...

I wouldn't be as blasé about the radar situation because the current radar-less cars are undisputably nerfed in comparison to the older cars with radar. Being put in AP "jail" mode anytime you exceed 75mph on the highway is a terrible UX if you live anywhere with speed limits that are 70+. Longer follow distances and more disengagements in situations that aren't ideal for vision-only AP (bright, well lit, daytime driving with no sun in the cameras) also is documented by many folks and is a real thing at the moment.

While vision-only may very well have been Tesla's long-term vision, everything so far points to this being a very rushed execution to cover up for a parts shortage and Tesla wanting to keep up their delivery numbers. The fact remains that there is no real reason to believe that Tesla will easily overcome their current vision-only limitations very quickly. This could be another Elon-time thing.

That doesn't change what some have posted here. If you really need/want a car right now, MY is still a good option. But if you are willing to wait, there are several good reasons to hold off between the potential for tax credits, Austin factory coming online, newer battery tech (this is a very iffy proposition given Plaid+ being cancelled) and more time to see if Tesla makes good on achieving some better sort of parity with vision-only AP. Some people are dismissive about waiting for new tech on Teslas, and while I agree with that general sentiment against FOMO-based decision paralysis, I do think the current situation is different enough that waiting things out is the prudent option if you aren't in desperate need for a car today.

I have an order from May 1 that I am holding off on till I have better clarity on things. The only thing that will make me pull the trigger on a shorter time-frame is if the tax credits get passed sometime this year. Otherwise I'm happy to wait a year or more and lose my $100 if I need to. Competition in EV space is going to heat up Iin 2022 and beyond and it is going to force Tesla's hand to do better and there will also be other compelling alternatives available to consumers.

There are a couple of scenarios to consider. Do you need a new car at this very moment? If you do, then the MY is probably one of your best options if you are looking for a compact EV SUV, I'd say go for it, despite the alarming trend with the changes you mentioned.
If you can wait 6-18 months to get a new car, I would wait. I love my car, but between the changes you mentioned and the competition that is only going to get better, I would wait and see what's next.
I wonder if there will come a day or decade when 4,000 miles and three months after buying a Rivian, Lucid, Ford EV or VW EV- the same vehicle will actually increase in value? I’ll say not a chance but maybe we can see. That’s exactly what I experienced with my 2021 MY. I cannot imagine a more compelling reason to buy or conversely to avoid procrastination to buy a MY.

Reactions: Gadget63
I wonder if there will come a day or decade when 4,000 miles and three months after buying a Rivian, Lucid, Ford EV or VW EV- the same vehicle will actually increase in value? I’ll say not a chance but maybe we can see. That’s exactly what I experienced with my 2021 MY. I cannot imagine a more compelling reason to buy or conversely to avoid procrastination to buy a MY.
This is a trend with all used cars, not just Teslas. The average used car price has skyrocketed in Q1 and Q2 of 2021 for the same reasons Tesla is removing features and struggling to deliver on their goals…

Reactions: HillClimb
This is a trend with all used cars, not just Teslas. The average used car price has skyrocketed in Q1 and Q2 of 2021 for the same reasons Tesla is removing features and struggling to deliver on their goals…
Can you find one example? I mentioned a MY with 4,000 miles listed on Carmax for $64,000. Can you find another auto company example of pre-owned 2021 vehicle with miles selling above list price? Just one example would prove your point. Failure to document an example proves mine. I’m satisfied either way.

Reactions: Electroman
2021 Corvettes... ???
None of them had previous owners. These are all new vehicles. Find me 2,000 miles or more.
I myself have a MY that is appraised at $56,000 by Carmax. I paid $54,290 with 15 miles.

same car has 4,650 miles. That’s a lot.

Carmax would list it at $62,000+.

Last edited:
worth it? it depends:
1) like quick acceleration: 0-60 in 4.1 seconds?
2) like autopilot (minus some phantom braking)?
3) like the supercharger network?
4) like the center infotainment?
5) like the long range?
6) similar alternative will be ID4 AWD: it is $12K cheaper (in the USA) : less robust charging network, shorter range, slower 0-60 time (5.7 seconds), not very good UI, not available yet, and it is a volkswagen and not a tesla. in return ID4 AWD do get: higher ground clearance, smaller turning circle, blind spot monitoring on mirror, probable better ride quality.
7) so if answer is yes to #1 to #5 and the alternative is not compelling even with cheaper price, then I suppose it is worth it??

Can you find one example? I mentioned a MY with 4,000 miles listed on Carmax for $64,000. Can you find another auto company example of pre-owned 2021 vehicle with miles selling above list price? Just one example would prove your point. Failure to document an example proves mine. I’m satisfied either way.
Yeah I have a 2016 civic I drove for 4 years and it’s worth the same amount today as I paid new. Every vehicle is going up with shortages.

Look again... Or do only 2021 models count???

For example
2021 Chevrolet Corvette - VIN: 1G1YB2D49M5100086
$114k 3350 miles 1 owner
Now we are getting somewhere. Notice this is a car dealer designed to over market all cars. Carmax never negotiates to my knowledge. However I have proof of Carmax offering to pay me more than I paid after 4,650 miles. This dealer is merely listing the car hoping to negotiate a future price yet TBD. Devil is in details.