Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Model Y worth purchasing now? Mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
425647E4-B771-489B-89AA-D9E794CAA1C3.jpeg

Proof.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
I don’t really have time to go through every car MSRP and compare it to carmax, but I did see a $55k 2020 Lexus RX450h. Didn’t get in the details so I’m not sure what options are on it, but the MSRP was starting around $47k according to the internet. My guess is that it’s probably very similar if not more than you would have paid for last year.

Either way, there have been many articles and reports on used car prices in 2021, the prices are going up as a whole. Whether every 2021 car is worth more now than 3 months ago with an extra 4K miles, I wouldn’t think so, but it’s hard not to get a good deal if you’re selling your car these days. For the OP, that doesn’t change much to it. Unless your point is that a car (albeit a Tesla) is an appreciating asset (which I can’t see how that would be possible, despite some claims), the OP isn’t looking to turn a profit by flipping a MY in 3 months, I don’t think.

I don’t really have time to go through every car MSRP and compare it to carmax, but I did see a $55k 2020 Lexus RX450h. Didn’t get in the details so I’m not sure what options are on it, but the MSRP was starting around $47k according to the internet. My guess is that it’s probably very similar if not more than you would have paid for last year.

Either way, there have been many articles and reports on used car prices in 2021, the prices are going up as a whole. Whether every 2021 car is worth more now than 3 months ago with an extra 4K miles, I wouldn’t think so, but it’s hard not to get a good deal if you’re selling your car these days. For the OP, that doesn’t change much to it. Unless your point is that a car (albeit a Tesla) is an appreciating asset (which I can’t see how that would be possible, despite some claims), the OP isn’t looking to turn a profit by flipping a MY in 3 months, I don’t think.
I produced one example and I only ask you for one example, just 1. not 10 not 100.

Everybody knows Tesla is the ONLY automaker that does not distribute to dealerships and everybody knows that dealerships mark up the price TO negotiate down.

To my experience Carmax does not negotiate. But they mark up the price to make a margin.
I provided an example of Carmax offering me more money for my used car then I paid new at Tesla.
That’s never happened before and I rest my case again. But you are free to find only ONE example. I’m sure you’ll justify why you cannot. But end result is that you will not. Case closed?

• Disagree
Reactions: Darblish

You wrote:
“Unless your point is that a car (albeit a Tesla) is an appreciating asset (which I can’t see how that would be possible, despite some claims),”

I think I gave you absolute documentary proof my Tesla is an appreciating asset. I bought it for less than I sold it after 4000 miles, & that is the “definition” of appreciating asset whether you want to believe it or not. Or whether you think it lies in the realm of possible or impossible I think the Carmax document I provided (without a doubt) provides everybody notice that it’s true.

If you follow the original exchange that was my original point and even after you see it with your own eyes you still have a hard time believing it’s possible. There is no fake news here you have just seen with your own eyes what any other automaker has yet to do- appreciate within the year or after real miles.

• Disagree
If you have a family, I wouldnt currently trust the Elon Beta Vision with their lives.

Radar provides current ranked/tested safety features without AP/FSD or Cruise Control.

Elon says its safe enough, but has yet to deliver parity of those safety features. He has also created a vehicle that slams on its brakes in front of others, and flashes on coming traffic and cars in front of them... I personally wouldnt want to be a target on the road.

Save your money. Save yourself the headache.. and wont someone please think of the children! (Sorry couldnt help myself. MY LR 7 seater, delivered before it started getting gutted, and bought specifically for my family)

Now we are getting somewhere. Notice this is a car dealer designed to over market all cars. Carmax never negotiates to my knowledge. However I have proof of Carmax offering to pay me more than I paid after 4,650 miles. This dealer is merely listing the car hoping to negotiate a future price yet TBD. Devil is in details.
You glazed right over my message about a 4 year old honda selling for what it was new. Same with my friends Accord. Many cars are going up. Look at what you could have gotten for your tesla a year ago or in a year, you wont be as impressed as you are now.

Reactions: Hexo09
Will someone just hand @smithrukami his “I moved the goalposts enough that I feel like I proved someone wrong on the Internet” trophy so he can stop hijacking this thread with arguments about the specific intentions of used car dealers?

On topic:
I’m really wresting with whether I should purchase a Model Y right now. When I ordered on 5/15 then absolutely it made sense; it seems like it will fit my driving situation, the acceleration and quietness is fantastic, and even though I don’t plan to get FSD, autopilot worked great for me. Then the cars were hampered with a 75mph cruise control limit (which will not match the flow of traffic around here). Then the NHTSA pulled the safety-feature test results (which raises my insurance rates about 20%). Then they pulled lumbar from the passenger seat (which I don’t particularly care about, but my wife commented on it several times during the test drives, so it’s just another kick while we’re already feeling down). I still have my order in (EDD July/August), but I don’t need a car right now due to work-from-home being extended at least a few more months, so it’s not quite so clear what I should do.

Honestly, if the autopilot can reach feature parity with what it was when I test drove, and the safety feature “checkboxes” come back, then there’s no doubt in my mind that this is a good time to order. Otherwise, maybe I should wait for those to happen and see what other changes Tesla makes in the meantime.
Will someone just hand @smithrukami his “I moved the goalposts enough that I feel like I proved someone wrong on the Internet” trophy so he can stop hijacking this thread with arguments about the specific intentions of used car dealers?

On topic:
I’m really wresting with whether I should purchase a Model Y right now. When I ordered on 5/15 then absolutely it made sense; it seems like it will fit my driving situation, the acceleration and quietness is fantastic, and even though I don’t plan to get FSD, autopilot worked great for me. Then the cars were hampered with a 75mph cruise control limit (which will not match the flow of traffic around here). Then the NHTSA pulled the safety-feature test results (which raises my insurance rates about 20%). Then they pulled lumbar from the passenger seat (which I don’t particularly care about, but my wife commented on it several times during the test drives, so it’s just another kick while we’re already feeling down). I still have my order in (EDD July/August), but I don’t need a car right now due to work-from-home being extended at least a few more months, so it’s not quite so clear what I should do.

Honestly, if the autopilot can reach feature parity with what it was when I test drove, and the safety feature “checkboxes” come back, then there’s no doubt in my mind that this is a good time to order. Otherwise, maybe I should wait for those to happen and see what other changes Tesla makes in the meantime.
When I noticed you called me out personally on a public forum- I thought well maybe there are people on this forum that don’t actually own a Tesla. Maybe they can’t afford one, I don’t know? But they indirectly throw shade at Tesla and those who love Teska. I bet that applies here but who knows. Good luck if you “ever do buy a Tesla”. ^^Wink wink.

Last edited:
You have some proof of this Honda? Anyone can claim something. I have proof. You make blind claims. Fear not. With proof I’m a believer. Just one auto proof. Don’t bother with two. Just one example. I’ll wait.
This took literally 10 seconds to find: Used Cars Are Now Selling For More Than New Cars

Not that this will do anything to discourage your delusions about how your Tesla is/was a magically special car. No one is going to be surprised if you continue down some Olympian levels of mental gymnastics to keep moving goalposts to prove whatever irrelevant point you are intent on making. Just please stop derailing this thread with this nonsense. No one here cares. Feel free to start your own thread to rant on and I'm sure you'll have a captive audience given your magical ways with words and reasoning.

He’s the only Tesla owner on this forum, guys. That’s how he knows so much information about them to the exclusion of all else; he’s the only one with a Tesla and no one else can afford them.

(On the plus side, you can just choose “ignore” on his profile and this thread turns back into one about purchasing a Model Y instead of selling cars.)

Last edited:
He’s the only Tesla owner on this forum, guys. That’s how he knows so much information about them to the exclusion of all else; he’s the only one with a Tesla and no one else can afford them.

(On the plus side, you can just choose “ignore” on his profile and this thread turns back into one about purchasing a Model Y instead of selling cars.)
Do you own a Tesla? It’s a simple question. I wonder if you like Tesla. My post was relevant to the question of whether to buy a Tesla because from an investment perspective they are the only vehicles selling for more on the secondary market than new. Now if there’s proof of ICE cars doing same I haven’t seen proof. But you just want your own childish views. You probably don’t own or like Tesla. I can sense your hostility is based on envy. My post in the subject of whether to invest or not invest may be over your head. That’s fine. But you can ignore me. Please. It’ll be good for you to ignore me. Have a nice day.

This took literally 10 seconds to find: Used Cars Are Now Selling For More Than New Cars

Not that this will do anything to discourage your delusions about how your Tesla is/was a magically special car. No one is going to be surprised if you continue down some Olympian levels of mental gymnastics to keep moving goalposts to prove whatever irrelevant point you are intent on making. Just please stop derailing this thread with this nonsense. No one here cares. Feel free to start your own thread to rant on and I'm sure you'll have a captive audience given your magical ways with words and

From your response I can tell you don’t own a Tesla. Took a couple emails to get there. No harm in that but I could see the bitterness.

So do you own a Tesla?

So do you own a Tesla?
Nope, which is why this — the actual topic of the thread and not the derail about non-Tesla used car values — is a topic of fairly great interest to me. My EDD is July/August from a mid-May order, so I’m in the category of people who test drove and ordered with radar/safety features/lumbar/sentry mode/lane departure on the vehicle. If I were to take delivery today, the car I would receive would have none of those things (pending a software update “in the coming weeks,” whenever that may be).

• Disagree
Reactions: Clark_Kent
worth it? it depends:
1) like quick acceleration: 0-60 in 4.1 seconds?
2) like autopilot (minus some phantom braking)?
3) like the supercharger network?
4) like the center infotainment?
5) like the long range?
6) similar alternative will be ID4 AWD: it is $12K cheaper (in the USA) : less robust charging network, shorter range, slower 0-60 time (5.7 seconds), not very good UI, not available yet, and it is a volkswagen and not a tesla. in return ID4 AWD do get: higher ground clearance, smaller turning circle, blind spot monitoring on mirror, probable better ride quality.
7) so if answer is yes to #1 to #5 and the alternative is not compelling even with cheaper price, then I suppose it is worth it??
Correction: Model Y AWD (non performance)0-60 time is 4.8 sec .

Reactions: HillClimb
When I noticed you called me out personally on a public forum- I thought well maybe there are people on this forum that don’t actually own a Tesla. Maybe they can’t afford one, I don’t know? But they indirectly throw shade at Tesla and those who love Teska. I bet that applies here but who knows. Good luck if you “ever do buy a Tesla”. ^^Wink wink.
You must be really fun at parties.

• Funny
Reactions: Hexo09 and Darblish
Guess what? Things usually get better and less expensive - whenever you buy you'll always think you missed out and should have waited if that's how your mind works. Me? I've had my MY for a year now and love it, don't regret a thing. If you want one buy it because there will never be a better time, but that's just how my mind works.....
That's the exact opposite of what's happening. This isn't a post about waiting on new features but rather a concern that Tesla is cutting costs by using inferior parts and yet increase the price at the same time. I have no doubt some of the decisions they made are related to supply chain issues but the end result is the same: Less for more price.