Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Model Y worth purchasing now? Mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This not a typical "should I wait for.... <insert new desired features>" post.

There is an increasing trend, as others have pointed out here (and as well as Musk himself), around cost of material and supply chain issues that Tesla has to solve. Which means switching to LG Chem NCMA (cheaper to produce using less cobalt), using microcontrollers and rewriting firmware to adapt, etc. This could also be the reason that they removed Radar since new chip might not to be able to handle the equal calculations required. Removing Radar means less noise and factor in the equation.

“This quarter, and I think we’ll continue to see that a little bit in Q2 and Q3, had some of the most difficult supply chain challenges that we’ve ever experienced in the life of Tesla and same difficulties with supply chain, with parts — over the whole range of parts. Obviously, people have heard about the chip shortage.”
I'm sure things will get back to normal (adding new and improved features) once these fundamental concerns are addressed."

“In Q1, we were able to navigate through global chip supply shortage issues in part by pivoting extremely quickly to new microcontrollers, while simultaneously developing firmware for new chips made by new suppliers.”

Does this mean the current model Y is not getting the Tesla in-house designed chip (manufactured by Samsung)?? If you have to rewrite firmware, it means a different underlying architecture.

All of these means they are adapting out of necessity and not for improving technology or engineering.

This is not a time to buy a Model Y if you don't absolutely need one. The positive thing is that Tesla is quick to change and hopefully all of these woes will be over soon, just in time for the tax credit to hit... :)

• Funny
Reactions: HillClimb
That's the exact opposite of what's happening. This isn't a post about waiting on new features but rather a concern that Tesla is cutting costs by using inferior parts and yet increase the price at the same time. I have no doubt some of the decisions they made are related to supply chain issues but the end result is the same: Less for more price.
Then don't buy, but when will be the perfect time where you feel you got the most for your money and you'll never regret waiting? Kind of like timing the market - good luck with that....

Then don't buy, but when will be the perfect time where you feel you got the most for your money and you'll never regret waiting? Kind of like timing the market - good luck with that....
If inflation kicks in, good chance Tesla starts reducing quality and capability even further. Potentially even foregoing certain models entirely. Supply line is gonna take a few months to iron out, assuming a true return to normal shipping container flow.

Right time was Q1 2021 while everyone else was waiting for fancier lights and potential tax credits.

If inflation kicks in, good chance Tesla starts reducing quality and capability even further. Potentially even foregoing certain models entirely. Supply line is gonna take a few months to iron out, assuming a true return to normal shipping container flow.

Right time was Q1 2021 while everyone else was waiting for fancier lights and potential tax credits.
Yes, exactly how I view this as well, Q1 2021 was the right time to buy a model Y. It will also be interesting to see if the Q3 numbers will be as good as Q2 since it was claimed model Y sold out til Sept. They will reveal whether the number is in anyways limited by supply chains issues.

I wonder when the 8640 batteries Model Y version will be available?

Beside the new casting, this seems to be the major change and possible range improvement?

Elon confirmed recently that Model Ys made in Austin will have front and rear giga castings and structural pack with 4680 cells same as Berlin.
Tesla from the beginning of construction has said first production from Austin will occur this year. I'd guess that Kato Road will supply cells
for the first few months until Austin GF cell production line comes online. Berlin won't need Kato cells as soon as Austin due to regulatory delays.

We don't know if 4680 production challenges are fully resolved yet nor how many cells it will be producing by Q4.
I am sure that Tesla has the Musk full court press on at Kato to make damn sure lack of cells does not hold up start of MY production at Austin GF.

I'm reasonably sure that if the solutions for ramping 4680 were not in hand or very close, Elon would not have taken time off to host SNL.
Nor be relaxed and rested enough to pull that off so well!

Elon confirmed recently that Model Ys made in Austin will have front and rear giga castings and structural pack with 4680 cells same as Berlin.
Tesla from the beginning of construction has said first production from Austin will occur this year. I'd guess that Kato Road will supply cells
for the first few months until Austin GF cell production line comes online. Berlin won't need Kato cells as soon as Austin due to regulatory delays.

We don't know if 4680 production challenges are fully resolved yet nor how many cells it will be producing by Q4.
I am sure that Tesla has the Musk full court press on at Kato to make damn sure lack of cells does not hold up start of MY production at Austin GF.

I'm reasonably sure that if the solutions for ramping 4680 were not in hand or very close, Elon would not have taken time off to host SNL.
Nor be relaxed and rested enough to pull that off so well!
This what has me very on the fence about ordering an MYP right now. I'd hate to pick one up just before the most substantial refresh in the Model Ys lifecycle.

It's just a car. Buy it now and enjoy it. If the future Model Y's are better, sell yours and buy another one.
Seriously, if its that gigantic of a leap the resell value is legit on these so whatever. And lots of this are ifs, the only thing that's really come out of tesla or elons mouth is the newer batteries and castings. Most other things are pure speculation

Reactions: HillClimb
This what has me very on the fence about ordering an MYP right now. I'd hate to pick one up just before the most substantial refresh in the Model Ys lifecycle.

I'm not in desperate need of a new car so waiting 6 - 9 more months to buy MY 2.0 is best for me. Two quarters back I made a list of all the improved hardware features and came up with a half dozen. Front and rear castings eliminate so many parts and connectors. It will be even more solid and quieter than current MY. The structural battery pack should make it handle better. The new state of the art paint shop in Austin should correct paint shortcomings. Air suspension may become an option next year. I wouldn't be surprised if on the MYP Tesla will limit the ultimate acceleration possible with 4680 cells and offer owners option to unlock that extra acceleration in two or three years for several thousand.

Last edited:
I'm not in desperate need of a new car so waiting 6 - 9 more months to buy MY 2.0 is best for me. Two quarters back I made a list of all the improved hardware features and came up with a half dozen. Front and rear castings eliminate so many parts and connectors. It will be even more solid and quieter than current MY. The structural battery pack should make it handle better. The new state of the art paint shop in Austin should correct paint shortcomings. Air suspension may become an option next year. I wouldn't be surprised if on the MYP Tesla will limit the ultimate acceleration possible with 4680 cells and offer owners option to unlock that extra acceleration in two or three years for several thousand.
I'm in a similar situation but for me I'm also worried that the resale value of my 2018 M3 would fall the ~$6-7k to the levels they were just a few months ago.
I would definitely appreciate any sort of build quality improvements as my early M3 had it's fair share of rattles and creaks. I do think there will be a learning curve with the new castings/ structural pack/ 4680 and it will prob take 6mo.-1yr for them to iron out all of the build issues with the new model as well.

Also, I followed the air suspension rumors closely for the Model 3 and it feels like every year there's new evidence of it coming but its been 4 years with nothing changed.

When I noticed you called me out personally on a public forum- I thought well maybe there are people on this forum that don’t actually own a Tesla. Maybe they can’t afford one, I don’t know? But they indirectly throw shade at Tesla and those who love Teska. I bet that applies here but who knows. Good luck if you “ever do buy a Tesla”. ^^Wink wink.
You question people’s ability to afford a Tesla yet you live in an apartment? Ironic.

You question people’s ability to afford a Tesla yet you live in an apartment? Ironic.
It’s how he’s the only one on this forum with the financial resources to own a Tesla. You know, the rest of us would understand if we could “afford one.”

Since the thread was resurrected, I’ll say that my doubt about the vision-only stuff has largely abated. I’m a little concerned still about the function of the auto-high beams (which can be disabled on AP now) and auto-wipers (which can’t), but raising the speed cap even just to 80mph (which covers most of my cruising speeds on the highway) and restoring the missing safety features is a big step. I’m supposed to take delivery next week, so we’ll see how it goes, but I’m not anxious about the experience like I thought I would be a month ago.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie