Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla opening two SuperCharger sites a day anytime soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there announced plan was anything close to reality, we'd already see a *MASSIVE* spike in permits and construction activity before now to even have a chance at opening that many new locations in the next 8 months.
There is one possibility that I have stated before that actually fits both no permits and the aggressive rollout working: they haven't been starting until now, and we see the mass of permits coming soon. It can all be done in under half a year. But, it would take about that much time to do in a currently efficient format using current normal methods (I'm not ruling out some new method to use, but I find that slightly unlikely).
Looking at @stopcrazypp numbers from his 'webfu', we are adding 346 sites in 2017. Now, I'm using my spreadsheet for a hypothetical ramp (disregard my earlier June-December numbers... sum doesn't add):
YTD 16
May
June 22
July 38
August 45
September 52
October 60
November 80
December 30
-----------
Total 357 (ish)
That seems realistic. I think it may be bunched up a little more in the later months, a little, with thinner earlier months.

Last edited:
There is one possibility that I have stated before that actually fits both no permits and the aggressive rollout working: they haven't been starting until now, and we see the mass of permits coming soon. It can all be done in under half a year. But, it would take about that much time to do in a currently efficient format using current normal methods (I'm not ruling out some new method to use, but I find that slightly unlikely).

Even if that happens how are they going to go from "permit application" (assuming in the next few weeks) to construction completed and open for business before the end of 2017 on 17 new Bay Area supercharger locations?

Even if that happens how are they going to go from "permit application" (assuming in the next few weeks) to construction completed and open for business before the end of 2017 on 17 new Bay Area supercharger locations?
1-2 months design (starting April 24, 2017), starting with the long-lead-time targets first, so 2-3 weeks for Bay Area sites.
2-3 months permit process.
2-3 months construction, with tail end overlapping PG&E transformer timing extending another 3 weeks.
2-3 weeks testing after PG&E transformer installed.

Total max time: 7.61 months, putting it at January 19th (almost very worst case, worst case being those sites that never get approved "timely") open up time for the worst cases, and for the medium cases, December 3rd, well within 2017. Faster areas will be much sooner, and will probably be at least 40% of the turn ups, and we'll start to see them in process in a few months.

When doing a large number of any complex thing, many more will complete timely than if doing a smaller number. The spikes are reduced when you increase the number.

Last edited:
I was very surprised to hear them double down on the supercharger doubling promise considering it's patently obvious that it's unachievable. I do believe it will happen in time and I'm happy for that. Does concern me that the shall we say eternal optimism from the very top seems unchallengable at lower levels. I feel sorry for the guy that had to go out there and repeat that promise when I suspect he knows full well it ain't happening by the end of the year.

1-2 months design (starting April 24, 2017), starting with the long-lead-time targets first, so 2-3 weeks for Bay Area sites.
2-3 months construction, with tail end overlapping PG&E transformer timing extending another 3 weeks.

Total max time: 7.61 months, putting it at January 19th (almost very worst case, worst case being those sites that never get approved "timely") open up time for the worst cases, and for the medium cases, December 3rd, well within 2017. Faster areas will be much sooner, and will probably be at least 40% of the turn ups, and we'll start to see them in process in a few months.

When doing a large number of any complex thing, many more will complete timely than if doing a smaller number. The spikes are reduced when you increase the number.

But the average time from permit application to being open for business for california superchargers is a lot longer than that.

Reactions: kort677

even your numbers could be seen as being overly optimistic.

But the average time from permit application to being open for business for california superchargers is a lot longer than that.

Uh, can you elaborate because I think you may be talking about something different than what I am thinking. In November I helped a destination business in the SF bay area to install a destination charger. The permit took 3 days. Yea, I know it is a lot different from getting a SC permit to "open for business", so that is where I am confused by your statement. Thanks

Aside from the fact that permitting additional stalls at existing locations might be easier, I'd personally be be much more excited about additional locations vs. more stalls. Hell, besides CA, many of the locations are still ghost towns.

Even in CA, opening more locations will still take the strain off of existing locations. It will also open up access to more areas and more new customers & offer more direct routes to where you want to go without having to go out of your way to refuel. If you can save 30 miles of extra driving, thats also that much less time you need to spend at an SC. Give us more 2 and 4 stall locations. I want more red dots on SuperCharge.info, not 24 stall mega centers...but I won't complain about those either :)

Does it really matter if this happens by the end of 2017 or the end of 2018. I think not.

I will be glad to see the expansion happen, whenever it happens, this year or next year, its all good.

I'd have to disagree. If Elon's plan for rollout of the Model 3 is anywhere close to reality, there will be another half million cars competing for our superchargers worldwide by the end of 2018. Rolling the new SpCs out on "Elon Time" will not keep up with demand. Not even close.

even your numbers could be seen as being overly optimistic.
Average time to completion is around 183 days, isn't it? That's plenty of time to reach this year. Wasn't there a web site tracking that? I can't find it on SuperCharge.Info; did they remove it, or was it a different site?

If they are streamlining it and using economies of scale, it could knock weeks or even months off that number. On the other hand, if they aren't trying to streamline it and are just dumping a huge workload on a bunch of uninspired wrongly educated mismanaged office droids, I can see the crushing workload as being disastrous to timelines. All depends on proper management.

Average time to completion is around 183 days, isn't it? That's plenty of time to reach this year. Wasn't there a web site tracking that? I can't find it on SuperCharge.Info; did they remove it, or was it a different site?

If they are streamlining it and using economies of scale, it could knock weeks or even months off that number. On the other hand, if they aren't trying to streamline it and are just dumping a huge workload on a bunch of uninspired wrongly educated mismanaged office droids, I can see the crushing workload as being disastrous to timelines. All depends on proper management.
site acquisition, obtaining the necessary building and zoning permits, and then bringing in the necessary power all take time. even the average amount of time will not be enough in the majority of locations.

Reactions: sorka and FlyF4
Double the number of cars and you double the number of supercharging sessions

But that doesn't mean you need double the locations. There are two reasons to install a Supercharger station, 1) Throughput, number of surcharging sessions per year, 2) Coverage, some superchargers making a particular route viable. Only the throughput stations need to scale with number of cars.

Thank you kindly.

maybe they did, but if they did they wouldn't have posted such vague locations on their map. the posting of such vague locations leads me to believe this is more of a wish list than it is an actual portrayal of where the units are going to be located.

I don't think that is true, Tesla won't release/announce the actual location of a Supercharger until it is in operation, even after we have found the permit and have seen the construction started.

Reactions: sorka and FlyF4
I don't think that is true, Tesla won't release/announce the actual location of a Supercharger until it is in operation, even after we have found the permit and have seen the construction started.
almost every SpC location has been disclosed either by tesla or by the sleuths once permitting has begun. for example the locations in NYC are denoted by downtown, midtown, uptown, queens. these are huge areas and those notations show that this is no more than a wish list

almost every SpC location has been disclosed either by tesla or by the sleuths once permitting has begun. for example the locations in NYC are denoted by downtown, midtown, uptown, queens. these are huge areas and those notations show that this is no more than a wish list

From what I've seen, it's all about the "sleuths" that monitor permitting and construction. Tesla says nothing except "Exact timing and specific location may vary" and keeps the pin in the vague location until the site is operating (or, perhaps very nearly so--I've not watched that closely for very long). Just looking around for a moment, I found three locations under construction and another that's permitted, but nothing specific is shown on the Tesla website map. The only reason supercharge.info has the information it has is because of others digging and monitoring.

In other words, the vague map location on the Tesla website map tells one little or nothing about where Tesla is in the process for that location until it's operating. What will be interesting to see is the amount of information that flows into supercharge.info over the next couple of months (provided someone does the legwork).

Reactions: MP3Mike