Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla really a green company?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the answer to the question of whether Tesla is a green company is, without a doubt, a resounding YES.
You have to appreciate the irony here: The threshold for 'best' looks to be 1 mpg better than a Prius, yet it is very common for EV enthusiasts to poo poo the Prius as dirty.

By the way, the 2016 ECO Prius is anticipated to have a 56 MPG rating. Time to recolor that map ;-)

A more accurate representation of the new ICE fleet mpg average. You can compare the UCSUSA graph, which uses the US average sales weighted MPGe of EVs to the mpg of the Prius Eco, but that's not apples to apples.

For that matter, someone could come in and compare an EV/pedal power velomobile to the UCSUSA map or a Prius Eco, and come to similar conclusions. None of those comparisons will be accurate until everyone starts buying the Prius Eco or an EV velomobile.

Reactions: EinSV
You have to appreciate the irony here: The threshold for 'best' looks to be 1 mpg better than a Prius, yet it is very common for EV enthusiasts to poo poo the Prius as dirty.

51+ mpg is only the threshold/minimum -- for example in the Pacific Northwest BEVs are the equivalent of a 94 mpg car (compared to 52 mpg for a regular Prius and 56 mpg for an Eco-2) and in CA you would need 87 mpg in an ICE vehicle to match the greenhouse gas emissions from a BEV.

Also:

1. The relevant comparison is over the lifetime of a new vehicle -- since the grid is rapidly getting cleaner the GHG benefits of BEVs will just continue to grow at a fast rate.

2. If the focus is on Tesla's "greenness" you can't ignore the significance of solar. For example, the UCS report notes a 2013 poll finding that 32% of BEV buyers in California already have solar and another 16% plan to get it. Solar combined with a BEV is vastly cleaner than the cleanest hybrid and a significant percentage of BEVs are being powered off rooftop solar.

3. As noted by @omgwtfbyobbq above, Tesla's contribution needs to be measured by some sort of apples-to-apples comparison since not everyone wants to buy a Prius. Average mpg for new cars at the time of the report was 29 mpg and the average for large cars (the same class as Tesla Model S) was only 21 mpg.

I am not going to bash the Prius (even though it is not my cup of tea) and Toyota gets a lot of credit in my book for introducing the Prius when it did. But the "green" future is clearly fully electric and Tesla is leading the way.

One reason I personally wanted to prioritize owning an EV over solar PV is that EV adoption requires a paradigm shift whereas solar panels can more or less be installed and forgotten; they require little attention. Switching from fueling to charging, even on longer drives (since 2011 we've made our LEAF work wherever we can, and will do likewise with a Tesla), requires some thinking ahead. Because most people don't embrace change all that easily, I figure there's value in demonstrating to the rest of society that EVs really do work and are getting better. Yes, our LEAF's range is very limited and we drive slowly on the freeway, but after five years it still gets us around on a day-to-day basis on the original battery, and there's a faster EV with 215+ miles of range, a better battery, and a $35K price tag coming in a couple of years. That gets attention in a positive way.

3. As noted by @omgwtfbyobbq above, Tesla's contribution needs to be measured by some sort of apples-to-apples comparison since not everyone wants to buy a Prius.
Yes. A Prius (or any other high-mileage gasoline car) is inherently compromised. To achieve relatively high efficiency, performance has to take a back seat. A major selling point of the BEV is that you can have a very efficient vehicle that's also capable of great performance. I love the way that our EV can accelerate up steep hills in a seemingly effortless manner, with only a relatively moderate drop in efficiency. On those same hills, our Prius must rev its engine well above the optimal rpm range, literally drinking gasoline.

A more accurate representation of the new ICE fleet mpg average.
But the ICE fleet is not well represented by the EV fleet, so that hardly seems an improvement.

And far few people want an EV than a hybrid, so that argument is non-too persuasive either.

My heart is not in this argument -- I think both EVs and hybrids are marked improvements (if sometimes for different reasons) than crappy 25 mpg ICE cars. I would though like to see the pettiness and shallow reasoning towards hybrids let up some.

I love the way that our EV can accelerate up steep hills in a seemingly effortless manner, with only a relatively moderate drop in efficiency.

What do you mean by a moderate drop in efficiency? I am in line for my first electric, and starting to think about things like how much more battery juice my Model 3 will use when going up a hill. We have a few here (hills). Without having thought about it much I sort of assumed quite a bit more power is used up hills compared to the same distance on a flat.

So much more so that certainly regenerative breaking on the backside of the hill wouldn't begin to restore to the charge level approaching the hill. This is mere supposition though. I really need to look into this more...

What do you mean by a moderate drop in efficiency? I am in line for my first electric, and starting to think about things like how much more battery juice my Model 3 will use when going up a hill. We have a few here (hills). Without having thought about it much I sort of assumed quite a bit more power is used up hills compared to the same distance on a flat.

So much more so that certainly regenerative breaking on the backside of the hill wouldn't begin to restore to the charge level approaching the hill. This is mere supposition though. I really need to look into this more...
Back when this was new to a lot of us, and there were no superchargers so you had to plan trips more carefully, there was a rule of thumb that developed. Basically, for every thousand feet of elevation that you went up, it would take 5-6 miles of ideal range (over and above the actual usage for distance/speed). Coming back down you get back 4-5 of those miles. But when you're just looking at the remaining range, there's a kind of compounding effect, since the car doesn't know when it's getting to the top of the mountain; it just projects continued consumption. Then when you're coming down, as well as getting the energy back, you are not actually using much power, so the projected range can get very high. You just have to relax and do the mental calculation. But it's fun to see a projected range of 999 miles!

Bottom line is that if you're doing a round trip back to the starting point, every thousand feet of elevation change will cost you about a mile of ideal range at the end of the trip.

What do you mean by a moderate drop in efficiency?
Above some nominal level, the efficiency of an electric motor and battery system drops as the power output increases, meaning that more energy is lost in the form of heat. So, if you floor the accelerator to zip up a steep hill, you'll lose some efficiency. But the point is, the drop in efficiency isn't nearly as great as what a fuel-burning car would experience. It is because electric drivetrains remain relatively efficient at a wide range of RPMs and power levels that EVs get away with single-speed transmissions; no gear shifting is needed.

As for your other point, regenerative braking definitely involves losses, and in any event you will not get back whatever energy was lost to aerodynamic drag, friction, etc.

My experience driving a LEAF on CA-330 (a mountain road that climbs 4900' in 14 miles from Highland, CA to Running Springs, CA) is that in ideal conditions I might be able to regain from regenerative braking as much as roughly one third of the total energy used on the climb. So there is a "penalty" for routes involving hills, but it's much less than a conventional or hybrid vehicle would experience.

My experience driving a LEAF on CA-330 (a mountain road that climbs 4900' in 14 miles from Highland, CA to Running Springs, CA) is that in ideal conditions I might be able to regain from regenerative braking as much as roughly one third of the total energy used on the climb. So there is a "penalty" for routes involving hills, but it's much less than a conventional or hybrid vehicle would experience.
The penalty is from regen. I collect speed going downhill and use it going up so I do see any measurable hit at all. Some terrain and traffic allows that sort of driving, some does not.

The comment was made that the data is there, why not use it?
But the data isn't there.

The most up to date grid data is 2012, over three years old.
All of these papers on the carbon intensity of EVs use data that is 2-6 years old (at the time of publication).
Add to that the driver may get some or all of their power from sources cleaner than the standard regional grid and it gets far more complicated.

A reading in the car implies the current efficiency, yet it would actually be showing the CO2 efficiency from years ago, and only for the average.

Also, at any given moment, the grid is NOT as clean or dirty as the average indicates. More or less renewables, coal, natural gas, etc is being used depending upon demand. The CO2 levels fluctuate, and until this data is available...

So once again, the "real time" reading your car would be giving you is not a reflection of what the car is actually producing.

The reality is that coal plants are run at a capacity to match 'baseload,' meaning loads that go on for hours rather than minutes.

In the otherwise mostly insignificant country of Denmark, electricity production from wind-turbines in 2015 reached a coverage of 51%, which is a world record. (Because of import+export, the wind coverage on actual consumption was 42%, also a world record).

The (highly predictable) change in the remaining, non-wind-turbine power need is covered by interconnectors to neighbouring countries and with fossile fuel power plants. The necessary trade with electricity is handled in an open (public) and self-organizing way (i.e. using market forces), via the Nord Pool Spot electricity exchange.

While the power plant production is being reduced over the years and power plants are being closed down, the remaining power plants have found a new, useful role in the power grid.

Each interconnector is DC and use a converter station (with capacity of e.g. 1 GW). Like the wind-turbines and unlike the huge, spinning generators in the power plants, the converter stations do not have a stabilizing effect on the AC frequency of the power grid.

So to keep the power grid stable some of the power plants are kept running basically in idle (and thus consuming little fuel). The inertia of their large and heavy generators thus help to keep the AC frequency stable.

The fossile power plants most likely to remain active are CHP (Combined Heat and Power) plants, where the residual heat from the electricity production is being used for residential heating, thus increasing the overall efficiency.

The trade with electricity is helpful especially because the neighbouring countries Norway and Sweden have massive amounts of hydro-power, where the delivered power can be adjusted on a very small time scale:
The control room

The electricity production in Denmark can be followed in real time here (flash required):
Power right now

Maybe other countries could find some use for this approach as well.

Reactions: SageBrush
Hello. I'm new.

Stupid question. Is that 10 cents per kWh, or 1 cent per kWh?

thank you.
$.1 is 10 cents. In San Diego the top tier electric rates are almost $0.50. Even super off peak time of use rates are $0.17. Per kWh. So it is low enough to get people's attention here.

That is the straight cost of system/ kWh produced in 20 years number. The paneled have a 30 year warranty, and will last much longer than that. Also, With time of use net metering, the pan else added actually produce enough credits to run more than just the car. So the effective cost is less than $0.05 per kWh over 20 years. But that sort of metering is complicated to explain and will change soon in California, so I don't use it when telling people the "cost" to fuel and EV.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBoylan
$.1 is 10 cents. In San Diego the top tier electric rates are almost $0.50. Even super off peak time of use rates are $0.17. Per kWh. So it is low enough to get people's attention here.
Zoinks! Up to 50 cents a kWh during peak hours? I thought we had it bad in New York City! When I got my solar panels, I switched over to the TOU billing plan on ConEd (which has since changed, but I'm grandfathered into the earlier TOU schedules). Rates vary from month to month, and they charge a much heavier peak premium during the peak summer months (June-September), but for reference, I paid (including tax and fees):

March, 2016: 23 cents/kWh (peak), 13 cents/kWh (off-peak)
August, 2015: 45 cents/kWh (peak), 14 cents/kWh (off-peak)

For us "peak" means Mon-Fri, 10 AM to 10 PM. Off-peak is nights (10 PM to 10 AM), weekends and holidays. Our solar system is small due to limited roof space and NYC fire codes, so we don't generate anywhere close to our actual usage. But, by changing our consumption patterns (dishwasher, washing machine, etc. after 10 PM), I think we are making out a little better on the TOU plan vs. flat rate metering. I also redid the crawl space insulation and switched to mostly LED lighting a few years ago, and this also lowered our consumption significantly. Looking forward to charging our Model 3 NIGHTS and WEEKENDS. :)