Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla replacing ghosting windshields?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my wife put it a different way -
Referring to her Model X, she's used to being able to see the hood on her prior car & can't see it at all on the X. Thus, it won't surprise me if there is curb rash on her, not-too-distant Horizon.
I agree. It's quite disconcerting not being able to see the hood at all. Makes it hard to judge where the front of the vehicle is.

On my Model S I can see the hood clearly. It even has ridges running down both sides which really help in guaging where the front corners are.

On my wife's Model X I can't see the hood at all, unless I move my seat up so high I'm looking out through dark window tint. And I'm 6'5".

Received my x on march 17. Ghosting is real bad. Local tech knew nothing about it. Given the average age of Naples Florida I doubt most people even drive at night or they are wearing those sun glasses given at the eye dr appts. Real problem for me and as I du k down it doesn't make it any better. Bottom seat position and I'm 6'2" so no lower to go anyway really unless I recline but again not better

Originally thought our new MX was without ghosting, but it showed up yesterday at dusk. First time I drove our MX at dusk. Either has been day or night. There is a little ghosting at night, and I notice it more now that I saw it at dusk, but seems to be worse at dusk then it subsides. Its not as severe as others have noted and doesn't bother me but obviously still an issue for the MX.

So I guess there is still no final word on ghosting. I am almost ready to make my deposit any-day now and am worried about this issue and am thinking maybe I should wait until they have a final solution to this.

I am not sure whether it is worth the risk and in case mine is delivered with ghosting, whether Tesla would fix it once they find a solution in future.

So I guess there is still no final word on ghosting. I am almost ready to make my deposit any-day now and am worried about this issue and am thinking maybe I should wait until they have a final solution to this.

I am not sure whether it is worth the risk and in case mine is delivered with ghosting, whether Tesla would fix it once they find a solution in future.
Before putting down a deposit, try to get Tesla to provide you with an over-night loaner. Check if it fits in your garage (if you have one) and try driving at night. It sounds like pretty much all X windshields have ghosting to a certain degree. Of course your custom-built X might have it worse or better than the loaner, but at least you have an additional data point to help you make your decision.

Our ghosting X is primarily driven by my better half (business car). So if she is willing to accept ghosting, whereas I'd think it's terribly obscene that such an anomaly would even be allowed to be delivered ..... well then - her veto power is all that matters.
;)
Perhaps you could test drive one of the many CPO's (with the possibility of purchasing it) ... or doing the same thing with one of the many pre-configured models sitting at your local store. If you find that a night-time test drive reveals too much ghosting for your tastes, try another car until you find one that is more tolerable ... & if none are acceptable to you - then you may likely feel better about NOT purchasing. Our compromise on this ghosting issue was to only lease. So for us, this turned out to be the best solution - because as time goes on, the better half has started to get disappointed with fit & finish issues - as well as our X's very soft paint, as well as the failure of AP2 to become fully functional (for almost a ½yr now). There's a chance that my better half will become more & more disappointed over the remaining 28ish months of the lease - & then we can just walk away, w/out ever feeling 'stuck'. For us, so far, the plan is an acceptable compromise.

Last edited:
Before putting down a deposit, try to get Tesla to provide you with an over-night loaner. Check if it fits in your garage (if you have one) and try driving at night. It sounds like pretty much all X windshields have ghosting to a certain degree. Of course your custom-built X might have it worse or better than the loaner, but at least you have an additional data point to help you make your decision.

Already done so (over-night loaner). The car had minor ghosting, not too bothersome (only with headlamps and not traffic lights) but as you said the custom-built X might have it worse or better than the loaner.

Our ghosting X is primarily driven by my better half (business car). So if she is willing to accept ghosting, whereas I'd think it's terribly obscene that such an anomaly would even be allowed to be delivered ..... well then - her veto power is all that matters.
;)
Perhaps you could test drive one of the many CPO's (with the possibility of purchasing it) ... or doing the same thing with one of the many pre-configured models sitting at your local store. If you find that a night-time test drive reveals too much ghosting for your tastes, try another car until you find one that is more tolerable ... & if none are acceptable to you - then you may likely feel better about NOT purchasing. Our compromise on this ghosting issue was to only lease. So for us, this turned out to be the best solution - because as time goes on, the better half has started to get disappointed with fit & finish issues - as well as our X's very soft paint, as well as the failure of AP2 to become fully functional (for almost a ½yr now). There's a chance that my better half will become more & more disappointed over the remaining 28ish months of the lease - & then we can just walk away, w/out ever feeling 'stuck'. For us, so far, the plan is an acceptable compromise.
Thank you for the detailed response. I think this maybe a good option too, go with a stock X and trying it out in the night before buying instead of ordering a new one. I will look into it. As I mentioned to the other post few minutes back, I recently had a over-night test drive and the ghosting was not too bad (buy you never know what the next X will have). In fact I did not notice it until the last moment when I was on a narrow street with cars too close to each other and even then it was for SUVs only (maybe the height had something to do with it).

Edit: OR unless Tesla would let me order one with my deposit and when it arrives if the ghosting is too bad, I walk away from it and I get my deposit back. :p

The ghosting effect gets worse the further away the light source is. Lights 6-12 feet in front of your vehicle pretty much has only 1 image, but the further away the light source, the greater the separation between the light-source and ghost image(s).

Ghosting is an issue Tesla cannot solve easily, its caused by behavior of light as it enters/leaves a thick piece of glass.

If you look through the windscreen of the X at a straight line in the distance your notice as you move your head the straight line will change or appear to move slightly as you move your head..... The windscreen is so massive the view you get is actually distorted slightly all the time. The reason headlights/directly reflections from sunlight is worse is because the source of light is coming straight at you and therefore any refraction is more clearly obvious.

I can see it on our X, and it'll be there on every X. But it really doesn't bother me, don't forget our 'view' of the world is an abstract construction anyways. Our brains post process the very limited image the retina produces to form the 'vision' we perceive as real. I don't even notice 'ghosting' on our X anymore, not unless I choose to look for it and focus on it :).

ole3.gif

Received my x on march 17. Ghosting is real bad. Local tech knew nothing about it. Given the average age of Naples Florida I doubt most people even drive at night or they are wearing those sun glasses given at the eye dr appts. Real problem for me and as I du k down it doesn't make it any better. Bottom seat position and I'm 6'2" so no lower to go anyway really unless I recline but again not better
I was wondering if you were able to get a resolution to this. Tesla guys here are saying if it is really bad we will take care of you but I wonder how do you define bad. What is bad for me may not be bad for them. Also what maybe within the specifications of Tesla/NHTSA may not be within my tolerable limits.

I recently had my Model X windshield replaced (the original one that came with my new X delivered end of March developed a small crack at the bottom). The new windshield that was installed as a replacement seems a little weird to me, but I could be wrong. The GOOD thing is that the new windshield exhibits minimal ghosting, much less than the original windshield that came with my X. The WEIRD thing, however, is that it appears that the windshield is distorted/blurry only on the left edge and right edge of the glass. It's a bit weird, so let me explain. The effect that I am seeing is similar to the effect that you would see when an ICE car's engine is hot and has been running for a while on a hot day. Sometimes you can see that the view through the windshield can become blurry or distorted when the ICE car is like this from fumes, etc. This is the similar/same effect that I see only when I look towards the right side of the windshield from the driver's seat, and similarly when I look to the left side of the windshield when sitting from the passenger's seat, but mainly when I move my head side to side I can see the image blurry a bit. When looking straight from the right or left (when sitting on those sides) you don't see any distortion or blur effect at all. I am wondering if this has something to do with the newer windshields to address ghosting since I see less of the effect vs. the previous one? I drove by the service center and checked out one of the loaner Xs, and I could see the same effect. It doesn't bother me much, but was just curious if anyone else noticed this. It's more visible in bright sunlight vs. at night.