Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla sending a message to the US Model Y customer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Sola I think that's a bit harsh. A few months ago, US-built Model Y was the latest-and-greatest and the other models were missing things, which they have now received along with additional updates. These will eventually come to the MY as well. Tesla moves at mind-boggling speed with making changes when compared to the rest of the automotive industry, where you nearly always have to wait for model year bumps to see any changes. You need to remember that the MS and MX have been waiting for years for the redesign that just dropped, while MY has been in production for less than a year. You're going to need to be a bit more patient, I'm afraid.

The MIC Model Y is definitely a notch above the MIU Model Y. Then we have the gorgeous update to the Model S and X. The US Model Y now looks dated.

Seems like Tesla is communicating to US customers, “we don’t care about you.”

The US Model Y customer has really delivered for Tesla. Why not feed/reward the machine?
Yes, that's exactly what they are saying.o_O

Not quite sure how you're getting that message. The US-market Model Y has been receiving incremental enhancements since launch (the latest builds including heated steering, glovebox-USB, auto-dimming side mirrors...). The interior pic on the updated ordering page even shows a matte-finish front center console. Now we also have a Standard Range option, as well as 7-seat configuration. Then there is the acceleration-boost option. Where are you feeling let-down? What aspect of the Shanghai Y makes the US Y look dated?

Sure, the new S/X have a high-res 17" left/right-tilting display instead of fixed-mount 15", a display above a yolk-style steering wheel, and Active Noise Cancellation, but those models are also at a significantly-higher price point. And none of those features are in the Shanghai-based Model Y either.

Not quite sure how you're getting that message. The US-market Model Y has been receiving incremental enhancements since launch (the latest builds including heated steering, glovebox-USB, auto-dimming side mirrors...). The interior pic on the updated ordering page even shows a matte-finish front center console. Now we also have a Standard Range option, as well as 7-seat configuration. Then there is the acceleration-boost option. Where are you feeling let-down? What aspect of the Shanghai Y makes the US Y look dated?

Sure, the new S/X have a high-res 17" left/right-tilting display instead of fixed-mount 15", a display above a yolk-style steering wheel, and Active Noise Cancellation, but those models are also at a significantly-higher price point. And none of those features are in the Shanghai-based Model Y either.

The interior pic on the updated US Model Y configurator does not show the refreshed (matte) center console yet. It’s only on the US Model 3.

In general, I agree with your sentiment though that Tesla updates it’s feature very quickly relative to other automakers. It’s likely that the new center console is still supply constrained in the US, especially if we assume more Y’s than 3’s in the current production mix.

Hopefully the new center console supply will catch up in the next couple of weeks (as well as for the new headlights on the US Model 3), and I’m sure Tesla already has a planned introduction week in their production planning.

I don't understand this thread. LOL. So, the Model S and X have MILDLY restyled front/rear bumpers and black trim and suddenly the Y looks old?? The Y hasn't been on the market a year yet. As for the interior of the S/X, it hasn't changed in almost 10 years so I would expect a refresh and it SHOULD look much nicer than the Y. Heck, the S is $40,000 more expensive. It BETTER look nicer than the Y.

Also, come March (the 1-year anniversary of the first Y deliveries), assuming the interior is refreshed, the Model Y has had more updates in its first year than any other car in history. So I think Tesla has giving the Y more love than any other car in its lineup.

I'm a little surprised the S/X interior updates are even larger, those are solidly "luxury" vehicle range now. You can't "discount" that any more by saying "well, it's fully electric and you don't have that option with anyone else so you can trade a little of the high end luxury." Well now you can get a 3 or Y which are still fairly nice and have that pure Tesla fully electric ecosystem. While the change in range and performance compared to the 3 or Y is great, I'm surprised they didn't push really really hard to make the inside stand out as a huge difference too.

(Yes yes I'm aware there is some extra screens, some updated finishes, and things like that, but lets be honest, the 3/Y is like 70% there in terms of interior quality)

All Teslas are designed, proto'd, and built in the US right now. The plan for Shanghai is more than just a satellite assembly plant. The HEPA filter redesign is a good example of adapting to fit the market.

The air quality in the Bay Area can get bad (fires) so it'd be good having the option of retrofitting a HEPA filter.

I think China seems to have more competitive pressure with local EVs so they get features 1st?

I look forward to the HEPA filter so I appreciate the heads up from MIC

All Teslas are designed, proto'd, and built in the US right now. The plan for Shanghai is more than just a satellite assembly plant. The HEPA filter redesign is a good example of adapting to fit the market.

The air quality in the Bay Area can get bad (fires) so it'd be good having the option of retrofitting a HEPA filter.
Re: the hepa filter, would appreciate some engineering effort into retrofits. Would just be rock and roll if Tesla not only replaced faulty MCU 1 with MCU2, but also offered an improved air filtration solution for every vehicle they have made in the past 10 years.

The MIC Model Y is definitely a notch above the MIU Model Y. Then we have the gorgeous update to the Model S and X. The US Model Y now looks dated.

Seems like Tesla is communicating to US customers, “we don’t care about you.”

The US Model Y customer has really delivered for Tesla. Why not feed/reward the machine?

Not sure how you can say that when you don’t appear to even own one yet. Are you just upset because you have to wait?

Ever heard about mid-cycle refresh by other automakers? It will eventually trickle down to future built MYs... Also, US got MY the earliest.. before any other markets. Isn't that a clear message that Tesla loves the US market? o_O
Yes, other auto makers continue to upgrade their products as they find issues or changes they can implement throughout a model year. Significant visual changes happen typically at Model year changes. More significant changes happen at the halfway point of a body style life. I find it strange that many Tesla buyers seem to think that Tesla operates at a faster speed from other manufacturers although Tesla seems to have to make more adjustments due to correcting manufacturing defects or design errors possibly due to not having as much manufacturing experience. For example a few changes that come to mind that BMW recently made during a model year and not announced were in the X5’s they added eye tracking to replace the steering wheel torque sensor for their Traffic Jam Assist Pro (BMW Autopilot) and in the X1 it received a totally new seat design. Either of these changes would have been considered major redesigns in Teslas but were never even announced or promoted, they just showed up during a model year

Last edited:
to me as an early MY owner (July) - the only thing that really matters (to me) is the battery technology. The stuff they added is minor. If you buy a Tesla - you must be ready for on the fly updates. They rushed this car out to hit numbers and they did a good job. The outside of the car is exactly the same - and is fully relevant. Heated steering wheel? Plastic console parts - glass (I'll give you the glass - new glass is better) - etc etc... Battery tech is what rules. Guys - things are so disruptive today - Im happy they haven't changed the body style already :)

Reactions: hnguy054