Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla serious about the long term car manufacturing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The arrival of the Model 3 in the UK should be a glowing success with something like 4000 vehicles ordered the first day and initial recipients giving great feedback. Even UK's Top Gear gave it a very favourable review.

Yet probably less than 2% of customers have got their cars and there is growing dissatisfaction with the lack of information about delivery dates. Emails in response to concerns by Tesla states it is a question of luck about when you will get your car rather than a professional approach to managing the deliveries. The website gives unrealistic delivery dates and speaking to customer service generates different answers depending upon who you speak to. So much has gone wrong, it would be a long and boring post to mention all the issues of which I am aware.

It raises the question that as the delivery arrangements are so bad, how will the other service elements cope once we get our cars.

There is now discussion that as the company has succeeded in making EV's a viable alternative to an ICE vehicle, how long will it be before Tesla Motors is sold off so they can concentrate on battery production where there is considerable growth and profit.

So whilst they have produced some fantastic cars, it makes so much sense when you see discussions about selling off and makes me wonder how long it will be before we see the BMW Tesla 3!

The arrival of the Model 3 in the UK should be a glowing success with something like 4000 vehicles ordered the first day and initial recipients giving great feedback. Even UK's Top Gear gave it a very favourable review.

Yet probably less than 2% of customers have got their cars and there is growing dissatisfaction with the lack of information about delivery dates. Emails in response to concerns by Tesla states it is a question of luck about when you will get your car rather than a professional approach to managing the deliveries. The website gives unrealistic delivery dates and speaking to customer service generates different answers depending upon who you speak to. So much has gone wrong, it would be a long and boring post to mention all the issues of which I am aware.

It raises the question that as the delivery arrangements are so bad, how will the other service elements cope once we get our cars.

There is now discussion that as the company has succeeded in making EV's a viable alternative to an ICE vehicle, how long will it be before Tesla Motors is sold off so they can concentrate on battery production where there is considerable growth and profit.

So whilst they have produced some fantastic cars, it makes so much sense when you see discussions about selling off and makes me wonder how long it will be before we see the BMW Tesla 3!
I understand your frustration but the factory is on the West Coast of the United States so the ability of Fremont to produce RHD Model 3s to meet UK demand is lagged by thirty days or more. The ordered cars are either on the water or to be made in early July and delivered in August.
Understand also that the Tesla delivery teams in the United Kingdom are now facing monthly volumes ten times larger than before. Two to three thousand Model 3s deliveries a month is going to stress them just as other delivery teams were stressed in Continental Europe.

Welcome to the wild world of the Tesla End of Quarter Rush.

The company is understaffed, due to two delayed and messy ramps of the Model X and Model 3.

But, there's no way Tesla wants out of car manufacturing. Tough market, but lots of money to be made. BMW's automotive profits were 6.2 billion Euros in 2018, from about 2.5M sales.

UK customers know where they are built and the timescale to deliver. We did not understand the end of Quarter rush in the USA, but neither did Tesla, otherwise, why not delay taking orders until the end of Quarter rush is no longer an issue.

Tesla took reservations dating back to 2016 and must have some idea of the level of demand, but have only met 2% of the orders made on day one.

Why does their website state an order made today will be delivered in July, when orders made on the 1st of May are now being told it will be sometime in the next few months?

If you miss the phone call from the delivery centre, you seem to go to the back of the queue and those who are getting their cars are only being given a few days notice.

Most on social media have only asked to be given realistic updates, which could be done by a high-tech companies website.

The frustration is a lot of us buy into Tesla and what they are doing, but now feel very let down. I just hope I am wrong and Tesla does not damage its brand name in the UK.

Ordering and delivery has always been the weakest and most frustrating part of owning a Tesla, no matter where one is located.

I certainly hope this improves as Tesla matures, but it's the unfortunate reality now. If it's any consolation, once you have the car the pain of childbirth will fade.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
UK customers know where they are built and the timescale to deliver. We did not understand the end of Quarter rush in the USA, but neither did Tesla, otherwise, why not delay taking orders until the end of Quarter rush is no longer an issue.

Tesla took reservations dating back to 2016 and must have some idea of the level of demand, but have only met 2% of the orders made on day one.

Why does their website state an order made today will be delivered in July, when orders made on the 1st of May are now being told it will be sometime in the next few months?

If you miss the phone call from the delivery centre, you seem to go to the back of the queue and those who are getting their cars are only being given a few days notice.

Most on social media have only asked to be given realistic updates, which could be done by a high-tech companies website.

The frustration is a lot of us buy into Tesla and what they are doing, but now feel very let down. I just hope I am wrong and Tesla does not damage its brand name in the UK.
Once you drive the car all will be forgiven. Can delivery be frustrating at times? Absolutely no doubt. Certainly was for me. 4 different delivery dates all changed and delayed. Once I got my car though...just damn!

Delivery needs to improve and Tesla knows that. They are very much a victim of their own success.

There's a reason I named my car "Patience". LOL!

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210
I am sure I can wait, but the adverse reaction in social media will get the media's attention, which could do lasting damage in the UK. The bad social media is coming from people who support Tesla, not petrol heads who hate the idea of EV's.

Selling off the car division would work. Look at how BMW markets the Mini, they could use Tesla as a backbone to their EV program as well as getting the network of superchargers. They would add their great service and improve quality control as well as world-class branding.

I want Tesla to succeed, but the suggestion by some for Tesla to sell their car division makes a lot of sense and maybe the only way to recover when they start to get adverse mainstream media about their customer service. Everyone wins, we keep our amazing cars and Tesla makes money making batteries.

What a stupid thread title. That got out of the way years ago when I ordered my Porsche the dealer could not even contact the factory directly so I was told. Orders go through PCNA he had no idea where the car was until the day it arrived at the port 20 miles from the dealership. And when I was buying a Prius when it was still hot the "friendly" dealer did not know when new shipment will arrive. He told me he will call me the moment he saw one coming and I will need to get there as soon as possible. He could not hold the car for me if another buyer comes in and willing to pay the same price.

Porsche and Toyota are still making cars so I guess Tesla will be too.

Last edited:

Your post is just oozing with first world privilege.
This is a religious quest...a mission to save Mother Earth Gaia...
You should be grateful for the opportunity to redeem your otherwise useless life.

I can't stand traditional car dealerships but this is where they help car manufacturers scale. I think at some point they will probably need a dealer network because we are starting to reach the explosive growth on EV sales as all the other manufactures start release more EVs. When Tesla starts selling the Model Y and future pickup truck I have no idea how they will handle it. They need to double the amount of service centers right now.