Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service deteriorating as they scale??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had service performed several times in 3 centers (plus Ranger Service in Naples & Belmont. NC) for my 2 Model X's: Dania Beach, Charlotte & Raleigh.

In every case over the last 5+ years, service has been impeccable

In fact, last week I was out of town in Cary, NC preparing to go on a long trip to Ohio and had a AP freeze on my White X. I called the National service number and they ran me through their fixes (to no avail) & they scheduled a service visit for me in Raleigh early afternoon that same day. The Raleigh service team was able to quickly fix the problem and I was on my way. Simply Outstanding!

OMG I'd love to be in the timeline/parallel Universe you describe! :D:rolleyes:

Sounds so much better than the one some of us are stuck in with miserable service that somehow manages to get even worse and a service visit makes me feel like I'm trash. You have no idea how bad this alternate tmeline/universe is. First there was a crazy election and now there's a virus killing people and you can't even go out and do things with other people.

I hear a wormhole might be opening up in November to return us to the original timeline so wish us luck! :p

Changing, yes. Deteriorating, no. Customer since 2014, and never had any real complaints about service. The mobile service is brilliant, and my service center is good.
Wow, where do you live and how can i get my car serviced there. Everything since the original purchase has been a struggle. Love the company and the mission, total fan boy, But please spend a bit of those billions on well trained technicians and start a train program for independent garages to be tesla certified which could eventually scale to a EV university. Hello ELON, please don't let this company die because of poor service. I am already thinking my next EV won't be a Tesla.

Wow, where do you live and how can i get my car serviced there. Everything since the original purchase has been a struggle. Love the company and the mission, total fan boy, But please spend a bit of those billions on well trained technicians and start a train program for independent garages to be tesla certified which could eventually scale to a EV university. Hello ELON, please don't let this company die because of poor service. I am already thinking my next EV won't be a Tesla.
Things were great in 2019 and fine 2020 even with the start of the pandemic, the mobile service calls fixed several minor issues with latches and electronics. MCU replacement was in service center and took weeks for parts to arrive. My last experience was terrible though. Taking a look over all I suspect, this one service center I've been happy with in the past is probably overbooked and the work is rushed due to their back-log. In my case, my car was returned after a major replacement of all suspension and cooling valve/radiator that took 3 weeks, but the SC did not test drive the car before asking me to pick it up. When I drove the car home, the first brake applied at above 50kph produced a very loud knocking sound - this was literally 5 minutes after I had driven the car off the lot. The 2nd visit replaced all brakes and rotors - I asked for the parts back, took pictures of the parts and posted them here. - To me they had very little usage and made little sense to replace, but the SC insisted this was the only viable way to resolve the problem.

My SC hourly rate is $210 so I suspect they didn't want to spend 15 minutes to examine the rotors and pads to localize the problem to one and instead asked for all 4 sets to be replaced. The result is unneeded replacement of parts that were fine with more parts cost. My best guess is : Perfectly working parts were replaced to avoid more diagnosis time for them. We end up paying more for unneeded work, but they get to push more cars out faster at higher revenue and better KPI

Reactions: Antfugue
Almost seems like sales is growing faster than the support system, ie service. Add to that the camera swaps for early autopilot cars and the massive recall for trunk cables it would seem service is stretched thin and will only get thinner.

I keep wondering the same with Superchargers lately. I've seen a lot of "long wait" notices when selecting Superchargers from the car which in prior years wasn't an issue. As they (eventually) add non-Tesla charging this could only be impacted more. Charging customers also seems to be growing faster than chargers lately.

Who knows.

Reactions: Ciaopec
So no repeat visit to fix the damage? Just lived with it?

First time they scratched my sunroof. After 2 months they came to replace it. The new one does not sit flat and was uneven, so they ordered another. A few months later they install that one, and it doesn't fit right either. He said the next step they would have to tear up my roof to replace the mechanism, and I decided I don't want them doing that.. so just living with it. Next time for MCU repair, I guess they needed to remove the primary dashboard display, and in doing so managed to severely scratch the plastic cover for the display. I didn't notice it until a bit later when the light hit the plastic from behind, and it is really scuffed/marred deeply, cannot "polish" it out (tight area to scrub anyhow). I never bothered to complain, just mainly because I was so busy, then it felt too late.