Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service deteriorating as they scale??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to rationalize this feedback from the service center I got today when I picked up my car in for service (PS: I have an extended service agreement)

1. The 12 V battery was replaced ~2.5 years ago by Tesla, Apparently it failed again and this time i did not get any error messages. It also corroded the Intelligent Sensor (6007953). I can understand paying for the 12v battery, but they even charged me for the sensor saying that is was damaged by a battery that was not covered?

2. More importantly, my Model S suddenly started making a squealing (air coming out of a balloon) sound at @58K miles. It squeals every time I accelerate hard (it's that the whole point of a Tesla??). Anyways here's the response I got from them and they won't cover this under extended warranty, but suggested that i pay 2K for an upgraded part.

"Performed test drive and verified that the noise that is present is caused by the in-rush current to the power switches causing a high frequency vibration that is similar to a squeal/whine or ballooning effect. This is a normal condition of the vehicle.... No additional labor is recommended at this point".

So now I got to live with a squealing sound from my car every time i'm supposed to enjoy the pure acceleration of a Tesla! Jeez.

@elonmusk... this makes no sense!!

Tesla service is absolutely miserable and has been for a while. I'd rather go to the dentist than take my car in for service. It's that bad.

I know whatever BS they can come up with to not cover a warranty repair, they will happily tell me how everything is within spec, not a defect at all, or a defect that is not covered by the warranty. I can also count on them to not provide a loaner, keep my car for days, barely provide any updates, ignore whatever text messages they don't feel like replying to, ignore voicemails and emails, and generally treat me like worthless garbage.

I love my car and Tesla the company and their mission but they have created the worst service experience I have ever endured from a car dealer. The worst part is what can you do? If you receive poor service at a dealer you can go to another dealer or contact the manufacturer but what do you do when they are all the same and there is no competition.

Granted there seems to be a few service centers where they treat customers well.

The rest of us *&%F$@&@ed.

I'm sorry with what you are enduring after you paid for the ESA warranty.

Service should not suck this badly. I honestly also do feel bad for the service center employees. I don't think they are providing bad service because that's what they want to do but they are following orders and doing the best they can with the limited resources they have (or don't have).

For our next EV, if we buy a vehicle that is not a Tesla, it would be only because of poor service.

Last edited:
Tesla service is absolutely miserable and has been for a while. I'd rather go to the dentist than take my car in for service. It's that bad.

I know whatever BS they can come up with to not cover a warranty repair, they will happily tell me how everything is within spec, not a defect at all, or a defect that is not covered by the warranty. I can also count on them to not provide a loaner, keep my car for days, barely provide any updates, ignore whatever text messages they don't feel like replying to, ignore voicemails and emails, and generally treat me like worthless garbage.

I love my car and Tesla the company and their mission but they have created the worst service experience I have ever endured from a car dealer. The worst part is what can you do? If you receive poor service at a dealer you can go to another dealer or contact the manufacturer but what do you do when they are all the same and there is no competition.

Granted there seems to be a few service centers where they treat customers well.

The rest of us *&%F$@&@ed.

I'm sorry with what you are enduring after you paid for the ESA warranty.

Service should not suck this badly. I honestly also do feel bad for the service center employees. I don't think they are providing bad service because that's what they want to do but they are following orders and doing the best they can with the limited resources they have (or don't have).

For our next EV, if we buy a vehicle that is not a Tesla, it would be only because of poor service.
Exactly my opinion!

here in Richmond, VA it's always been good. However, last two visits was told:
A)May need to keep your car for several days due to service center volume
B)Cant promise you a loaner

Prior to those two visits? Car was ready same/or next day and loaner was provided without even asking.

So from my experience, service isnt going upwards. Put it that way.

Thanks for the post y'all... I agree that for minor stuff the mobile service is actually pretty good. They did keep my car for 10 days this time without a loaner. They are clearly swamped. They are probably still better than others, but not by much. I agree they do need some viable competition. The guys at the service center seemed to be trying their best, but at the end of the day i left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
Does anyone know of a way to escalate an issue or complaint at Tesla?

Hopefully new and expanding competition from Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Ford, etc. will force Tesla to up its game in the areas of quality and customer service. There are plenty of frustrated Tesla owners ready to abandon the brand unless things improve

I agree. But then it will come to ones priorities, as I doubt anyone anytime soon will equal Tesla's overall combo of tech/styling/range/performance/pricepoints/charging station infrastructure, etc AND have top notch service?

I think persons will have to choose their top priorities, and select from there.

Yes.
But not _because_ of scale.
It has deteriorated because they were losing boatloads of money and needed to get things under control and stop losing money. To do that they had to cut very important but not essential things and they still haven't corrected them.

I would say not treating customers like garbage, the way I feel when I take my car in for service, is kind of "essential" but that's just me.

Funny how other cars I've owned have managed to honor warranty service, fix what's broken without BS, hire staff to communicate with customers, offer a loaner car, and generally treat me decently without losing "boatloads of money."

But I am glad there are people out there making excuses for poor service.

Thanks for the post y'all... I agree that for minor stuff the mobile service is actually pretty good. They did keep my car for 10 days this time without a loaner. They are clearly swamped. They are probably still better than others, but not by much. I agree they do need some viable competition. The guys at the service center seemed to be trying their best, but at the end of the day i left with a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
Does anyone know of a way to escalate an issue or complaint at Tesla?

Yup, go find a nice beach with lots of sand and pound away with all your might until you feel better. :p:rolleyes:

Service concerns and complaints are accepted at the nearest beach with sand and all your concerns will be addressed by the sand granules being pounded with the highest priority and concern with the goal of offering the best and flattest tightly packed sand found anywhere in the automotive industry.

here in Richmond, VA it's always been good. However, last two visits was told:
A)May need to keep your car for several days due to service center volume
B)Cant promise you a loaner

Prior to those two visits? Car was ready same/or next day and loaner was provided without even asking.

So from my experience, service isnt going upwards. Put it that way.

Yup my biggest gripe is that they don't do loaners anymore. Elons everyone gets a p100d loaner. Just produce a fleet of model 3 standard range for loaners. Uber credits are awful unless you live in an urban area

Uber credits are awful unless you live in an urban area

I'm curious to see what happens if Uber does pull out of CA. Yellow Cab credits?

They are probably still better than others, but not by much.

Who do you mean by "others?" I don't know of any mainstream automakers who runs a sh*t show of customer service at the same level that Tesla does. And I've dealt with the gamut from 1990's era Hyundai to Porsche.

I'm curious to see what happens if Uber does pull out of CA. Yellow Cab credits?

I am very curious about this as well. I am guessing they will just tell folks they have to arrange their own transportation due to the "unforeseen changes in Uber" then never restore service once we get used to that. Like how they stopped washing and vacuuming our cars due to the water restrictions that are no longer in place.

I am very curious about this as well. I am guessing they will just tell folks they have to arrange their own transportation due to the "unforeseen changes in Uber" then never restore service once we get used to that. Like how they stopped washing and vacuuming our cars due to the water restrictions that are no longer in place.

The least they could do is to give us a map and timetable for metro bus routes. o_O

The CEO of the company does not understand service and its importance to not only customer retention but customer acquisition.

The company has been able to get away with inconsistent service, poor communications, poorly managed expectations, uneven quality, and apathetic management for years. Yes, the problem has scaled. Yes, the problem will continue to scale.

Imagine if Tesla really rolls out the robotaxi service: do you REALLY think the company is prepared for that? Imagine what owners are going to face in terms of trying to get timely service and support when every minute of waiting is lost money.

The fundamental issue here is that Elon, who cares deeply about science, technology, engineering, physics, and the First Principles of all these things, clearly does not hold a similar fascination with nor has he demonstrated he ever thinks about First Principles when it comes to service and customer experience. If I were a competing OEM I would see that as a vulnerability and something to compete on.