Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla software limiting the launch and 0-60 times of the refreshed non plaid model s/x ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it seems like the base model refreshed model s and x are quite a bit faster than the per refreshed performance models. Before the modes s/x refresh all teslas even the fast performance ones the acceleration would slow down a lot after 100mph. The new refreshed model s and x seem to have way way more top end acceleration power even in the base non plaid models. If you look the base refreshed non plaid model s is already trapping almost 130mph in the 1/4 miles which is a lot fasted compared to the pre refreshed models. But the over 1/4 miles is slower because the 0-60 and launch is slower compared to the previous pre refreshed performance model s. This leads me to believe that Tesla is software limiting the launch and the 0-60mph time of the base refreshed model s/x. Keep in mind that the pre refreshed model s 2020 did consistent low to mid 10's in the 1/4 miles at a much low trap speed of about 122mph.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
it seems like the base model refreshed model s and x are quite a bit faster than the per refreshed performance models. Before the modes s/x refresh all teslas even the fast performance ones the acceleration would slow down a lot after 100mph. The new refreshed model s and x seem to have way way more top end acceleration power even in the base non plaid models. If you look the base refreshed non plaid model s is already trapping almost 130mph in the 1/4 miles which is a lot fasted compared to the pre refreshed models. But the over 1/4 miles is slower because the 0-60 and launch is slower compared to the previous pre refreshed performance model s. This leads me to believe that Tesla is software limiting the launch and the 0-60mph time of the base refreshed model s/x. Keep in mind that the pre refreshed model s 2020 did consistent low to mid 10's in the 1/4 miles at a much low trap speed of about 122mph.
It's worse than you think. I haven't seen a single MS LR has even hit the claimed 3.1 second 0-60. M3P's routinely beat their claimed 3.1 0-60 time (though they are measured differently).

If Tesla offered a way to uncork it, I'd drop at least 2k like they did on my 3/Y and dropped it about .5 seconds 0-60.

Reactions: Carson Lohr
If I thought he gave a damn, I would have sent a bunch a long time ago. He wants to sell a Plaid with more profit than an LR.
It's interesting. If you option out the X LR and spec it out like the Plaid with 6 seat option, the the difference between the LR and the Plaid is only $3500!! I would have bought the Plaid but I do not want the 6 seat option. They dont fold down which is a big negative in an SUV designed to carry lots of things. We have 2 dog crates and it's impossible in the 6 seater. So I would love acceleration boost with 100 more hp. Still wont be as fast as the Plaid but it'll make it the second fastest car from Tesla ever.

remember, there’s a big picture thing here. Just because the motors can do it, doesn’t mean the rest of the car can handle it. There might be a significant reliability issue (and warranty cost). The S is heavier than the 3 and more forces are at work launching it.

Most cars are limited in some way. Look at all the chip upgrades available fir ice cars.

It's interesting. If you option out the X LR and spec it out like the Plaid with 6 seat option, the the difference between the LR and the Plaid is only $3500!! I would have bought the Plaid but I do not want the 6 seat option. They dont fold down which is a big negative in an SUV designed to carry lots of things. We have 2 dog crates and it's impossible in the 6 seater. So I would love acceleration boost with 100 more hp. Still wont be as fast as the Plaid but it'll make it the second fastest car from Tesla ever.
The middle seats don't fold down on 6 seat X? WTH? I didn't know that and the Tesla store didn't tell me that. I was looking at possibly selling/trading my S and getting an X to tow with. For the minimal difference between X and X Plaid, I'd take the Plaid.

That is a major issue for me. Another cluster truck of a decision from Tesla. That means my S might be more versatile than a 6 seater X. I can fit some pretty long and wide things in there with the seats folded down. Length is often more on issue than the height of things I am carrying. I'll have to go by the Tesla store again and measure. You might have just saved me from making an expensive mistake! Thanks @Kan-O-Z!

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
The middle seats don't fold down on 6 seat X? WTH? I didn't know that and the Tesla store didn't tell me that. I was looking at possibly selling/trading my S and getting an X to tow with. For the minimal difference between X and X Plaid, I'd take the Plaid.

That is a major issue for me. Another cluster truck of a decision from Tesla. That means my S might be more versatile than a 6 seater X. I can fit some pretty long and wide things in there with the seats folded down. Length is often more on issue than the height of things I am carrying. I'll have to go by the Tesla store again and measure. You might have just saved me from making an expensive mistake! Thanks @Kan-O-Z!
Yeah I was caught in this dilemma and it really sucks they don’t offer the 5/7 seater in the Plaid. Both the 5 and 7 seater can do complete fold flat which basically made me choose the LR.

Yeah I think it’s a huge miss if you buy a big car like the X with 6 seater and it’s just not that versatile for carrying things. I’m pretty sure it’s because in the 6 seater the middle row is all electric like the front two seats so they don’t fold.

remember, there’s a big picture thing here. Just because the motors can do it, doesn’t mean the rest of the car can handle it. There might be a significant reliability issue (and warranty cost). The S is heavier than the 3 and more forces are at work launching it.

Most cars are limited in some way. Look at all the chip upgrades available fir ice cars.
The Plaid is the exact same car as the LR but with 300 more hp. I don’t think there would be any issue adding 100hp to the LR. It would still be less stress than what the Plaid does.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ohmster and Krash
And they charge a lot more for the plaid. And they put a lot more replacement half shafts on them, for one example.
For the X the price diff is only $3500 more for the Plaid. Same chassis, same battery, same car. Just different motors.

As I said adding 100hp to the LR is still 200hp less than the Plaid. That should be well within limits for the car without breaking anything.

Reactions: Carson Lohr
Well there is that other motor on Plaid...
Right that's what I mean by different motors ;)

We're talking about the overall stress on the car, chassis, drivetrain half shafts. Point Im making is if they bump each of the two motors on the LR by 50hp for a total of 100hp, it would still be generating far less stress on the car, chassis, half shafts than the Plaid.

I would easily pay $5k for such an option! They did something like this on the Y LR. This would be a super easy way for Tesla to make some more $$$.

Right that's what I mean by different motors ;)

We're talking about the overall stress on the car, chassis, drivetrain half shafts. Point Im making is if they bump each of the two motors on the LR by 50hp for a total of 100hp, it would still be generating far less stress on the car, chassis, half shafts than the Plaid.

I would easily pay $5k for such an option! They did something like this on the Y LR. This would be a super easy way for Tesla to make some more $$$.
I also read that the Plaid is pretty much maxed out. As far as stress on the battery and drivetrain, I don't believe they can squeeze any more out of the Plaid safely.