Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla software limiting the launch and 0-60 times of the refreshed non plaid model s/x ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they didn't pay for Plaid in the first place, they won't pay enough to make it worth while to Tesla (note that offering this can also cost some Plaid sales).
Money wasn’t my deciding factor. It was that the seat option was not available in Plaid version Model X.

Plus someone may want something that costs somewhere in the middle of the two models.

They did this on the 3/Y so why not for S/X?

Not from motor perspective. But need a bigger battery to provide more juice. And the halfshafts are already being pushed to their limits.
I also don't believe either of those things are necessarily true. The car still runs 9s at 20%, and there's no evidence of the half shafts being pushed to their limits that I've seen. If you're referring to the vibration that affects most/all these cars in the ~30-40mph region, that was something in my car out of the box, before it had even been driven by anyone other than Tesla...

Time will tell, I suppose. We're more at the limits of traction on the PS4S than anything else, but we'll see what Tesla does, especially when the Sapphire comes out...

I also don't believe either of those things are necessarily true. The car still runs 9s at 20%, and there's no evidence of the half shafts being pushed to their limits that I've seen. If you're referring to the vibration that affects most/all these cars in the ~30-40mph region, that was something in my car out of the box, before it had even been driven by anyone other than Tesla...

Time will tell, I suppose. We're more at the limits of traction on the PS4S than anything else, but we'll see what Tesla does, especially when the Sapphire comes out...
The Sapphire is already out. 1200hp but it does have a bigger battery. Yes it’s faster than the Plaid.

Note that they can’t make a Plaid version of M3 for the same reason. The battery needs to be bigger to fully push a tri-motor 1020hp.

Money wasn’t my deciding factor. It was that the seat option was not available in Plaid version Model X.
You probably represent a small number of customers, or else Plaid would be available with your desired seat configuration.

Plus someone may want something that costs somewhere in the middle of the two models.
They did this on the 3/Y so why not for S/X?
The problem is that mid-tier tends to steal customers from top tier. Perhaps is made financial sense to do on the 3?Y, but not so much on the S/X?

Check this out:

Also they can’t make 1000hp from the current Model 3 battery.
I've seen the video. The Sapphire is still not released. And I'm just saying that the Plaid is almost certainly not at the ragged edge of its power production, though I'm sure it's reasonably close. That would be very unlike Tesla to release the car in that state of ragged edge.

You probably represent a small number of customers, or else Plaid would be available with your desired seat configuration.

The problem is that mid-tier tends to steal customers from top tier. Perhaps is made financial sense to do on the 3?Y, but not so much on the S/X?
All I’m saying is it’s easy money for Tesla. They probably already have it via software update. Not much effort on their part, almost free money for those that want it.

I've seen the video. The Sapphire is still not released. And I'm just saying that the Plaid is almost certainly not at the ragged edge of its power production, though I'm sure it's reasonably close. That would be very unlike Tesla to release the car in that state of ragged edge.
Right. I was just making the point that there is such a thing as battery limitation. If Tesla wanted to make a 1500hp car I’m almost sure the current battery would not provide the necessary energy.

Right. I was just making the point that there is such a thing as battery limitation. If Tesla wanted to make a 1500hp car I’m almost sure the current battery would not provide the necessary energy.
Nobody's saying that the Plaid in its current state is capable of 1500hp. I am saying, though, that I would not be surprised if the Plaid in its current state isn't capable of another ~100hp or so, on the current battery architecture.

Nobody's saying that the Plaid in its current state is capable of 1500hp. I am saying, though, that I would not be surprised if the Plaid in its current state isn't capable of another ~100hp or so, on the current battery architecture.
Yeah I could believe that. But certainly the LR has a lot more “room” to play with as far as boosting it.

I don’t think a boosted LR would take away from the Plaid. Some people just need to have the fastest ;)

On the model X the plaid is only $3500 more than LR so it wouldn’t even matter if people go the boosted route. They would probably be making more money on a boosted LR.

Yeah I could believe that. But certainly the LR has a lot more “room” to play with as far as boosting it.

I don’t think a boosted LR would take away from the Plaid. Some people just need to have the fastest ;)

On the model X the plaid is only $3500 more than LR so it wouldn’t even matter if people go the boosted route. They would probably be making more money on a boosted LR.
Plaid X is $10k more than non-Plaid.

Well... I wouldn't be doing that, personally. In any case, it's $10k more.
Apparently it’s the most popular option so there are many that do.

But I can’t deal with 6 seat option. I have 2 dogs. Bench seat for short trips, or 2 dog crates for longer trips.

6 seater doesn’t fold nor is there a bench seat so I can’t use it. So I went with the LR 7 seater 🙂

Now I just want a bit more power. It’s pretty darn fast though honestly!

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Apparently it’s the most popular option so there are many that do.

But I can’t deal with 6 seat option. I have 2 dogs. Bench seat for short trips, or 2 dog crates for longer trips.

6 seater doesn’t fold nor is there a bench seat so I can’t use it. So I went with the LR 7 seater 🙂

Now I just want a bit more power. It’s pretty darn fast though honestly!
It's all relative. I remember when I had my Model 3 Performance. I thought it was damn quick. Then I got the Plaid, and the Model 3 P feels like a Prius by comparison.

• Funny
Reactions: Kan-O-Z