Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla software limiting the launch and 0-60 times of the refreshed non plaid model s/x ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting take. I think the front motor of both the LR and Plaid are the same and not the model Y motor.

I think many of us suspect that the 0-30 is limited just by the “feel”. Power seems to really kick in around 30mph.

Also the previous P100D (dual motor) had the exact same power as the LR and was able to achieve much better launches.

I’m still hoping they can give us at least more initial launch. The LR has 200hp more than the M3P and yet is at the same 0-60? I mean sure it weighs a few hundred pounds more but that 200hp extra is way more than enough to beat a M3P.
It's not that simple, as described. It appears to be geared for the high end more. There are lots of turbo cars that have nothing in the low end but absolutely rocket in the top end, for example, which is why they're slow in the low mph range, but are insanely fast above say, 60mph.

This is one of the factors that has me strongly suspecting it's a gearing issue. Faster off the line, but much slower top end, with the same amount of power...
This does seem like the most likely explanation. It's interesting that Tesla decided to gear it this way, if so. I can't say one way is better than the other, though you'd think most would enjoy lower-end power more than higher end due to simple speed limit adherence.

Reactions: sandman1330
@sandman1330 and @WilliamG

But if it was the high gearing wouldn’t that just make the car slower accelerating at all ranges but yield a higher top speed?

We can’t necessarily compare the behavior to an ICE car with a turbo. For one thing a motor has all its torque available off the line so if it’s starting slow then you expect the acceleration to stay slow. But in this case the acceleration seems to build which is not how motors work.

My only other thought here is I think the power is about 50/50 split front and rear. In the Plaid and previous performance the power is more like 30/70 rear. During off the line acceleration perhaps the front motor can’t go all out because of front wheel slip? So the front gets limited till about 30 and then they both get full torque after that?

That’s about the only thing that might make sense to me. But the other interesting take is I feel this same behavior at even half or less throttle. Certainly I can’t already be maxing out the rear and the front is being limited.

But if it was the high gearing wouldn’t that just make the car slower accelerating at all ranges but yield a higher top speed?

We can’t necessarily compare the behavior to an ICE car with a turbo. For one thing a motor has all its torque available off the line so if it’s starting slow then you expect the acceleration to stay slow. But in this case the acceleration seems to build which is not how motors work.

My only other thought here is I think the power is about 50/50 split front and rear. In the Plaid and previous performance the power is more like 30/70 rear. During off the line acceleration perhaps the front motor can’t go all out because of front wheel slip? So the front gets limited till about 30 and then they both get full torque after that?

That’s about the only thing that might make sense to me. But the other interesting take is I feel this same behavior at even half or less throttle. Certainly I can’t already be maxing out the rear and the front is being limited

I'm stretching my knowledge a bit here, so feel free to refute my theory, but here goes: Horsepower is based on the relationship between torque and RPM. If you look at the graph shared a few posts above, you see that even the Plaid is not producing peak HP until the motor RPM starts to ramp up. So, extrapolating this, if the LR is geared higher, it will exacerbate the effect of the lower HP off the line as it will take longer for the motors to get up to optimal RPM.

Unless the Plaid's HP is software limited at lower speeds to maintain traction.... Theoretically due to electric motor's flat torque curve, the RPM piece shouldn't matter as much?

Yeah, I've reached the limit of my knowledge on the subject LOL

I own a Plaid and I have had a LR '23 S as a loaner a few times. I'm going to guess they aren't limiting the 0-60 times. At low speeds, the motor torque is limited by the max amps that can be sent through the motor. The battery has plenty of power available, but the current through the motor is the limiting factor. Thus, the motors are limited to the same torque until about 50 mph in the Plaid. You can see the straight line in the graph below. HP is increasing because torque is constant, and RPM is linearly increasing.

Above 50 mph, the battery power limit kicks in, and then the limit of the motors is set by how much power can be delivered from the battery. Therefore, you get constant HP up to about 100 mph. Somewhere above that, the back EMF of the motors starts limiting the max current that can be pulled from the battery, and the power will drop off again, but that seems to be a very gradual drop off, somewhere around 200 mph.

Anyway, so back to the Long range. If the LR really has 2 model Y motors instead of the 3 in the Plaid, we can expect about 2/3 of the torque of the plaid at launch, up to about 50 mph. But, the Long range has a bit of an advantage since it has the same battery as the plaid, it can pull max power from the battery and maintain that 2/3 torque for longer. Someone could datalog the Long Range, but I'd guess there are parts of the curve where it pulls nearly the same KW from the battery as the plaid, because it can.

But, the whole thing could be a bit different depending on the gearing of the rear motor in the Long range.

TL;DR I suspect the 0-60 isn't limited in the Long range, but the mid speed is pretty strong thanks to the plaid battery, which is why it gets a better quarter mile time than the Model 3 performance, even though the 0-60 might be the same or slower.

tesla-model-s-plaid-delivery-day-perfect-power-curve.jpg
I wouldn't care if it was gearing, softer launch, etc. All I wanted was what I paid for. So if they geared it wrong, shame on them. If they SW limited it, shame on them. It should at least meet the claimed times. Either fix, or update the specs. I still keep searching and not a single verified run I've seen anywhere, with a reputable timing device, has shown the claimed 3.1 second 0-60. Another Elon lie.

I wouldn't care if it was gearing, softer launch, etc. All I wanted was what I paid for. So if they geared it wrong, shame on them. If they SW limited it, shame on them. It should at least meet the claimed times. Either fix, or update the specs. I still keep searching and not a single verified run I've seen anywhere, with a reputable timing device, has shown the claimed 3.1 second 0-60. Another Elon lie.
That is pretty much the crux of it, isn't it? Can't argue with you there.

I'd like the extra oomph off the line, but where I live the only things that try to run me from a stoplight are jacked up F150s and Cummins Diesels. No issues beating those guys off the line :D

....The LR has 200hp more than the M3P and yet is at the same 0-60? I mean sure it weighs a few hundred pounds more but that 200hp extra is way more than enough to beat a M3P.
The current M3P is 531 lbs lighter than the S LR! That's quite a difference. While the CD is lower for the S LR, the frontal area is smaller on the M3P, so perhaps that's a wash.

The current M3P is 531 lbs lighter than the S LR! That's quite a difference. While the CD is lower for the S LR, the frontal area is smaller on the M3P, so perhaps that's a wash.
Here are the curb weights:

M3P: 4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec
MSLR: 4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec
MSP: 4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp, 0-60: 1.99sec

Take a look at power to weight ratio. The M3P should really get beaten by MSLR easily. As a matter of fact the difference between M3P to MSLR is the same difference from MSLR to MSP. Theoretically speaking I would expect MSLR performance to be smack between M3P and MSP. That would put the MSLR 0-60 right at 2.5sec (which is what the older P100D used to be).

I have a feeling they could make the MSLR do just that (0-60 2.5sec). I think it's being software limited. I would really love to see acceleration boost that drops it's 0-60 time by 1/2 sec.

If you look at the percentage of increased weight vs power, it should be more than enough to offset it. The S had a lot more contact patch so can put more power to the ground (if it has it at low speeds). CD won't matter until higher speeds.

Just use the calculator here to get an estimate of 0-60 times. I did some rough calcs and it says the MS LR could be at about 2.5-2.6 0-60. It is pretty close for the claimed amount when you put in the numbers for the M3P.

Reactions: mm9351
Here are the curb weights:

M3P: 4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec
MSLR: 4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec
MSP: 4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp, 0-60: 1.99sec

Take a look at power to weight ratio. The M3P should really get beaten by MSLR easily. As a matter of fact the difference between M3P to MSLR is the same difference from MSLR to MSP. Theoretically speaking I would expect MSLR performance to be smack between M3P and MSP. That would put the MSLR 0-60 right at 2.5sec (which is what the older P100D used to be).

I have a feeling they could make the MSLR do just that (0-60 2.5sec). I think it's being software limited. I would really love to see acceleration boost that drops it's 0-60 time by 1/2 sec.
Not if it's not geared for 0-60...

Not if it's not geared for 0-60...
A traditional ICE car builds it's torque with rpms (up to a point). Off the line even a car with 700ft-lbs of torque may only be producing 100ft-lbs at 500 rpm. This is why there are so many gears to help the engine off the line and keep it in the good rpm range for good torque and power.

An EV on the other hand has 100% torque off the line. Even at 1 rpm it would be generating the full 700ft-lbs of torque. What this means is that the initial pull/launch is already at it's max and is very strong. It doesn't need to build torque with rpms like a traditional engine.

Now back to the MSLR. If it indeed has high gearing, it means that there is reduced torque to the wheels at all rpms, not just at the start. But the trade-off is that there is a higher top speed.

Here are the top speeds of both:

M3P: 4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec, 162mph
MSLR: 4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec, 149mph
MSP: 4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp, 0-60: 1.99sec, 200mph

This tells me if anything the M3P may be geared slightly higher than the MSLR.

MSP has the carbon sleeved motors to spin up higher so the top speed is not achieved from higher gearing but higher rpms from the motor.

All these numbers tell me something is wrong with the MSLR. If it indeed has 670hp, it's 0-60 should be 2.5sec and top speed should be at least 162mph (using the same gearing as M3P).

Again this is all pointing to Tesla limiting the MSLR to put a bigger gap between it and the Plaid. They need to offer the boost. Somewhere in the range of $5k to $10k. Remember on the X the difference between the LR and Plaid is only $3500. I'd still be willing to pay $5k for boost because I need the fold flat bench seat setup.

• Informative
A traditional ICE car builds it's torque with rpms (up to a point). Off the line even a car with 700ft-lbs of torque may only be producing 100ft-lbs at 500 rpm. This is why there are so many gears to help the engine off the line and keep it in the good rpm range for good torque and power.

An EV on the other hand has 100% torque off the line. Even at 1 rpm it would be generating the full 700ft-lbs of torque. What this means is that the initial pull/launch is already at it's max and is very strong. It doesn't need to build torque with rpms like a traditional engine.

Now back to the MSLR. If it indeed has high gearing, it means that there is reduced torque to the wheels at all rpms, not just at the start. But the trade-off is that there is a higher top speed.

Here are the top speeds of both:

M3P: 4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec, 162mph
MSLR: 4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp, 0-60: 3.1sec, 149mph
MSP: 4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp, 0-60: 1.99sec, 200mph

This tells me if anything the M3P may be geared slightly higher than the MSLR.

MSP has the carbon sleeved motors to spin up higher so the top speed is not achieved from higher gearing but higher rpms from the motor.

All these numbers tell me something is wrong with the MSLR. If it indeed has 670hp, it's 0-60 should be 2.5sec and top speed should be at least 162mph (using the same gearing as M3P).

Again this is all pointing to Tesla limiting the MSLR to put a bigger gap between it and the Plaid. They need to offer the boost. Somewhere in the range of $5k to $10k. Remember on the X the difference between the LR and Plaid is only $3500. I'd still be willing to pay $5k for boost because I need the fold flat bench seat setup.
Someone should log the can bus during a pull. If we can see motor amps and battery watts we'll know if it is being limited, if we compare to the plaid.

Reactions: aerodyne and Krash
Ok more updates on the specification info:

M3P:
4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 9:1 (front), 9:1 (rear)
Performance: 0-60: 3.1sec (rollout subtracted), 162mph

MSLR:
4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 7.56:1 (front), 9.04:1 (rear)
Performance: 0-60: 3.1sec (with rollout), 149mph

MSP:
4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 7.56:1 (front), 7.56:1 (rear - 2 motors)
Performance: 0-60: 1.99sec (rollout subtracted), 200mph

I've added the drive ratio information above. What we see is that the Plaid is geared the highest but can overcome that because it has 3 motors. The rear of the MSLR is geared lower and is the same as M3P. The front of the MSLR is geared the same as the Plaid which makes sense because I believe they are almost identical motors in the front.

Comparing M3P and MSLR, the rear is geared the same way - which is what matters most during the initial launch. Again everything is pointing to that MSLR can do better. It's not the gearing that's holding it back.

To add even more to this, Tesla claims the MSLR 0-60 is 3.1sec with rollout added, which means it's more like 2.9sec with rollout subtracted. The M3P and MSP already have their times with rollout subtracted. So to compare apples to apples, MSLR should be at least .2 sec faster to 60mph than M3P even with Tesla's own claims. Again we are seeing that MSLR isn't getting to it's claimed 3.1sec, yet the M3P is beating it's number in some cases.

It really does seem that MSLR is being held back by software. Looking at it's gearing and power to weight ratio, the MSLR should be capable of 0-60 in 2.5sec (with rollout subtracted), or 2.7sec (with rollout added). Also there is no reason the top speed should be lower than the M3P.

Ok more updates on the specification info:

M3P:
4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 9:1 (front), 9:1 (rear)
Performance: 0-60: 3.1sec (rollout subtracted), 162mph

MSLR:
4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 7.56:1 (front), 9.04:1 (rear)
Performance: 0-60: 3.1sec (with rollout), 149mph

MSP:
4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 7.56:1 (front), 7.56:1 (rear - 2 motors)
Performance: 0-60: 1.99sec (rollout subtracted), 200mph

I've added the drive ratio information above. What we see is that the Plaid is geared the highest but can overcome that because it has 3 motors. The rear of the MSLR is geared lower and is the same as M3P. The front of the MSLR is geared the same as the Plaid which makes sense because I believe they are almost identical motors in the front.

Comparing M3P and MSLR, the rear is geared the same way - which is what matters most during the initial launch. Again everything is pointing to that MSLR can do better. It's not the gearing that's holding it back.

To add even more to this, Tesla claims the MSLR 0-60 is 3.1sec with rollout added, which means it's more like 2.9sec with rollout subtracted. The M3P and MSP already have their times with rollout subtracted. So to compare apples to apples, MSLR should be at least .2 sec faster to 60mph than M3P even with Tesla's own claims. Again we are seeing that MSLR isn't getting to it's claimed 3.1sec, yet the M3P is beating it's number in some cases.

It really does seem that MSLR is being held back by software. Looking at it's gearing and power to weight ratio, the MSLR should be capable of 0-60 in 2.5sec (with rollout subtracted), or 2.7sec (with rollout added). Also there is no reason the top speed should be lower than the M3P.
Awesome info! Great job digging up the gearing ratios. I'm happy to have my theory debunked on this one, it means the potential for an unlock exists (however unlikely)!

Reactions: Kan-O-Z
Even though I don't have my LR any more, I am still in the camp of they should offer boost for the MS LR. I definitely wouldn't have sold mine if they did. Car ticked all my boxes except for the 0-60 time. I just put my Plaid in sport mode, and while I didn't time it accurately with Dragy, it was pretty darn close to about 3.0-3.1 to 60. Compare that to the typical time of my MS LR at about 3.4-3.5 with the normal stuff in the car, 50% SoC, etc.

First Tesla should provide an update that gets the MS LR to actually run its claimed time. Then with that as the baseline, offer boost that will drop it about 0.4 seconds for about 5k. Or even if the don't bring the car to where it should be, offer boost that knocks of at least 1/2 second off it current time. That would have been worth spending an easy 5k on for me.

If they had boost, I probably would have given the LR to my wife, dumped the 3, and still got the Plaid knowing what I know now.

Reactions: Kan-O-Z
Awesome info! Great job digging up the gearing ratios. I'm happy to have my theory debunked on this one, it means the potential for an unlock exists (however unlikely)!
Makes me kinda mad if they are holding it back which I get a strong feeling they are. It's to make the gap the Plaid on it appear big. The Plaid is 0-60 in 1.99 sec, and if the LR was 0-60 in 2.5 sec, and initially they were charging what like $40k more for the Plaid? I see that would be bad for Plaid sales.

That being said their prices have come closer to each other. On the X it is only $3500 more for the Plaid. On the S it is $20k more for the Plaid.

I would be willing to pay $5k for unlock and $10k for unlock + boost(adds 50-100hp). I have the XLR (7 seater) and don't want to switch to a non-folding 6-seater on the Plaid. I do love the complete fold flat of the X (5 or 7 seater).

Even though I don't have my LR any more, I am still in the camp of they should offer boost for the MS LR. I definitely wouldn't have sold mine if they did. Car ticked all my boxes except for the 0-60 time. I just put my Plaid in sport mode, and while I didn't time it accurately with Dragy, it was pretty darn close to about 3.0-3.1 to 60. Compare that to the typical time of my MS LR at about 3.4-3.5 with the normal stuff in the car, 50% SoC, etc.

First Tesla should provide an update that gets the MS LR to actually run its claimed time. Then with that as the baseline, offer boost that will drop it about 0.4 seconds for about 5k. Or even if the don't bring the car to where it should be, offer boost that knocks of at least 1/2 second off it current time. That would have been worth spending an easy 5k on for me.

If they had boost, I probably would have given the LR to my wife, dumped the 3, and still got the Plaid knowing what I know now.
It's interesting you say that about the S. On the X Plaid, the sport mode is actually slightly slower than the X LR (in insane mode).

I think if it's being software limited then that could explain things. It's almost limiting the S down to the X levels where it's clearly capable of more. Like I said there are a few X owners that are also getting 0-60 in 3.4sec which is what you claim is what you got for the S.

It's interesting you say that about the S. On the X Plaid, the sport mode is actually slightly slower than the X LR (in insane mode).

I think if it's being software limited then that could explain things. It's almost limiting the S down to the X levels where it's clearly capable of more. Like I said there are a few X owners that are also getting 0-60 in 3.4sec which is what you claim is what you got for the S.
When I saw the X LR numbers, it pissed me off even more. My best ever run was a 3.28. Sometimes I'd have a bunch of runs in the 3.4-3.5 range as well. With nothing changed, it ran some 3.6 second passes too. On one set, I ran 3.29, 3.61, 3.50, then 3.60. No idea how that worked as I had a high SoC and thought it would rip some better passes.

I had ran a 3.28 (personal best), followed by a bunch of 3.3x's and some consist 3.40s dropped down to do low 3.3's. Took the car back to charge up as I had made about 15 runs in about 20 minutes. Came back out and ran the 3.29 and the car felt good and expected to maybe beat my 3.28 and then in the 3.5, 3.6 range and called it a day. Took out my M3 LR with boost an it ran a 3.70 on a 75% charge so wasn't far off my MS LR's last few runs.

That was when I was pretty much at my peak for being pissed off about the acceleration times. I was spending most of my time on the highways so while it bothered me, it wasn't in my face so to speak every moment I was in my car since it was more suburban and on highways were people were driving 80-100. When I moved to a dense urban environment, I was reminded on every launch to the 30 mph speed limit what a dog it was.

Let me put this in perspective. My MS LR on a good run, would do 0-30 in about 1.67 seconds. My M3 LR w/boost, would easily click off 1.75. On a bad run my MS LR was at 1.73-1.75. The M3 LR could have been even quicker than that but I didn't run it as many times and was pretty happy with how it typically ran. The seat of the pants launch told me what Dragy validated, that the MS LR and boosted M3 LR were heads up off the line and whoever cut the better light would get to my next 30 mph speed limit sign first. I didn't spend all that money on the MS LR to have it not be significantly quicker than my boost M3 LR, or easily get crushed by a M3P or MYP to 30 or 60.

When I saw the X LR numbers, it pissed me off even more. My best ever run was a 3.28. Sometimes I'd have a bunch of runs in the 3.4-3.5 range as well. With nothing changed, it ran some 3.6 second passes too. On one set, I ran 3.29, 3.61, 3.50, then 3.60. No idea how that worked as I had a high SoC and thought it would rip some better passes.

I had ran a 3.28 (personal best), followed by a bunch of 3.3x's and some consist 3.40s dropped down to do low 3.3's. Took the car back to charge up as I had made about 15 runs in about 20 minutes. Came back out and ran the 3.29 and the car felt good and expected to maybe beat my 3.28 and then in the 3.5, 3.6 range and called it a day. Took out my M3 LR with boost an it ran a 3.70 on a 75% charge so wasn't far off my MS LR's last few runs.

That was when I was pretty much at my peak for being pissed off about the acceleration times. I was spending most of my time on the highways so while it bothered me, it wasn't in my face so to speak every moment I was in my car since it was more suburban and on highways were people were driving 80-100. When I moved to a dense urban environment, I was reminded on every launch to the 30 mph speed limit what a dog it was.

Let me put this in perspective. My MS LR on a good run, would do 0-30 in about 1.67 seconds. My M3 LR w/boost, would easily click off 1.75. On a bad run my MS LR was at 1.73-1.75. The M3 LR could have been even quicker than that but I didn't run it as many times and was pretty happy with how it typically ran. The seat of the pants launch told me what Dragy validated, that the MS LR and boosted M3 LR were heads up off the line and whoever cut the better light would get to my next 30 mph speed limit sign first. I didn't spend all that money on the MS LR to have it not be significantly quicker than my boost M3 LR, or easily get crushed by a M3P or MYP to 30 or 60.
Yeah that’s bad if you think your M3 LR with boost is about the same as MS LR. Clearly the MS LR could be a beast of a car according to its stats, power to weight and gearing. It does shine above 40 but it could shine the whole way.

It’s too bad Tesla is holding it back and their software limiter seems to be too aggressive on it.

I also read that motors are usually limited by the battery. It’s usually not the other way around. So the fact that the LR has a decently bigger battery than the M3P, the motor should be able to push harder.