Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla software limiting the launch and 0-60 times of the refreshed non plaid model s/x ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bases on the current model s long range trapping 129mph-130mph in the 1/4 mile i would say that the current model s has significantly more power that the 2020 model s performance raven. Tesla is simply limiting/nerfing the power output of the current long range model s from 0-70ish mph.
I know. It’s amazing that even with a nerfed slow start it catches up and beats the older performance model. I think it’s probably more like 0-50 but who knows for sure.

It’s interesting what Tesla did with the Plaid. They wanted the 200mph top speed so they had to gear it high. But then not enough torque with the high gearing so they added the third motor.

Now the LR is geared the same as Model 3 performance because they’re not worried about ultimate top speed.

Now if they wanted the LR to top out at 100 or 120 they could gear it even lower and it would probably keep up with the plaid 0-100 but then it would be done.

The P100D did 0-60 in 2.5 sec, with only 2 motors, more weight, same hp as the current LR.
Raven Performance did 0-60 in 2.3 sec, with only 2 motors, more weight, slightly more hp than the current LR.

Again no reason the LR can't do 0-60 in 2.5sec. It's lighter, has better battery/motors, and same hp as the older P100D. It's not adding up which is why so many of us feel it's purposely being limited. I'll be happy with S LR at 2.7 sec and X LR at 3.2 sec! It will also turn it into a quarter mile monster with the S LR in the low 10s (currently 10.8sec), X LR in the high 10s (currently 11.4 sec)!

They can shave off 1/2 sec. Common TSLA!
Yes, but I believe they are two much smaller motors, basically the same as the model Y. If you look at the teardown videos, they basically reused as many 3/Y parts as possible. So the motor amps might be limited, reducing acceleration at slow speeds. But with the massive plaid battery it can sustain that torque to higher speeds, yielding large HP numbers.

Reactions: aerodyne
Yes, but I believe they are two much smaller motors, basically the same as the model Y. If you look at the teardown videos, they basically reused as many 3/Y parts as possible. So the motor amps might be limited, reducing acceleration at slow speeds. But with the massive plaid battery it can sustain that torque to higher speeds, yielding large HP numbers.
The front motor is the same as what is in the Plaid. You’re right the rear is the M3P motor I believe.

The thing is motors are usually battery limited meaning they can push harder if given more juice. Often times it’s the battery size that determines the power, not the size of the motor. Also note that the 1,111hp dual motor Lucid has very tiny motors but a huge battery.

I’m still hoping they can do a boost for LR. I can’t even upgrade my LR X to the Plaid X because they have unusable seating arrangement(for me) on the Plaid. The only hope I have is boost for LR.

Well it’s not the end of the world. Even the standard LR is very fast 😉

You don’t say. ;)

I think it’s obvious they can. It’s equally obvious they’re not going to.
If they didn’t care about LR why did they do boost for Y/3? It’s an extra way to make $$$. Why not.

I’m surprised more people are not screaming about the shitty situation on the X. Anyone that needs a bench seat or needs the seats to fold down is screwed. It’s not even about money. Elon favored the kid carrier seat arrangement for the Plaid. Just dumb!

Just think you have a mountain bike and you can’t even shove it into a 6 seater plaid. Not without removing parts. Can’t put in dog crates, camp gear. What a waste of a large vehicle. But the kids will sure love the 1000hp lol.

...There is a slight difference where the Plaid has the carbon wrapped version. That doesn’t add more power, it allows for more rpm which is really to hit those 200mph speeds which personally doesn’t matter to me.
There is more than a slight difference. The non-carbon wrapped versions have significant higher speed power limiting due to back EMF. Tesla could get higher maximum speeds with different gearing, but without the carbon wraps it takes a long time to get to those speeds.

Last edited:
There is more than a slight difference. The non-carbon wrapped versions have significant higher speed power limiting due to back EMF. Tesla could get higher maximum speeds with different gearing, but withouth the carbon wraps it takes a long time to get to those speeds.
Plaid gets to 200mph with a combination of higher gearing which is higher than the M3P and 20% increase in rpms from carbon wrap.

Let’s not make carbon wrap more than what it is. It’s to achieve high rpms for the top end 200mph - which btw is only available in track package for S only (no X).

If LR had 3 motors (non carbon wrapped) it would absolutely go 0-150mph just the same as the Plaid.

For reference again the lucid achieves 1,111 hp with only 2 motors and no carbon wrap.

Plaid gets to 200mph with a combination of higher gearing which is higher than the M3P and 20% increase in rpms from carbon wrap.
The cars have a speed limit as well as a torque and power limit.
Let’s not make carbon wrap more than what it is. It’s to achieve high rpms for the top end 200mph - which btw is only available in track package for S only (no X).
You are mistaken if you think that is the only purpose of the carbon wrap.
If LR had 3 motors (non carbon wrapped) it would absolutely go 0-150mph just the same as the Plaid.
No. If the LR had three, four or six motors it would still go the same speed for a bit, but only if the torque and power limits were set to the current LR limits. But as soon as the back EMF limits the motors, the plaid would pull ahead. And the rate of change of the lead would increase over time until the velocity limit is reached, because the power difference will increase over time.
For reference again the lucid achieves 1,111 hp with only 2 motors and no carbon wrap.
Not sure why that matters. A car could have a single motor, no carbon wrap and be well over 1200 peak hp. The back EMF limits the power at higher speeds.

Last edited:

Your claims have no backing to these claims.

"Plaid and LR have the same motor" is absolutely false and verifiable.

And that is false. You've already admitted this.
Y’all are a fiesty group. Why do you care if the LR has the front Plaid motor? Does that make your Plaid feel less?

Just for reference the Plaid is only $3500 more than the LR in the Model X. These cars are like 97% the same - main difference is the rear motor.

Sure it may not have the carbon wrap version (to be verified) but who cares. I can tell you 0-60 carbon wrap doesn’t matter. That’s what this thread is about isn’t it.

And that is false. You've already admitted this.
This doesn’t give the full picture but you can see a clue here:

M3P:
4048lbs, 450hp, 8.99lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 9:1 (front), 9:1 (rear)
Performance: 0-60: 3.1sec (rollout subtracted), 162mph

MSLR:
4561lbs, 670hp, 6.8lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 7.56:1 (front), 9.04:1 (rear)
Performance: 0-60: 3.1sec (with rollout), 149mph

MSP:
4766, 1020hp, 4.67lbs/hp
Drive Ratio: 7.56:1 (front), 7.56:1 (rear - 2 motors)
Performance: 0-60: 1.99sec (rollout subtracted), 200mph

Now check out the front drive ratio of LR and Plaid. Both are listed as 7.56:1.

Now check out the front drive ratio of M3P. That is listed as 9:1.

We know Tesla is all about re-using parts. The front is not from the 3 or Y.

...I can tell you 0-60 carbon wrap doesn’t matter...
0-60 it wouldn't matter if the weight were the same, but that isn't what you said. You said...
Look at the power graph. If you just could magically increase the max power of the old motors to the max power of the new motors you would still have the BackEMF decline in power at higher speeds. But if you added an old motor to get that max power then the added motor would have its own BackEMF power decline. So by the time you get to 150 mph, you have a third less power than the Plaid. Something like this...
1685138820640.png

Now to be fair, the BackEMF reduction is due to both the carbon wrapping AND the reduction in rpm due to gearing, so assuming that you changed the gearing on the two rear non carbon wrapped motors it probably wouldn't be quite that severe.

Last edited: