TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Tesla Still a Tier 1 Integerator with Mobile Eye for AP 2.0 Sensors?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MsElectric, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I had assumed Tesla is a Tier 1 integrator with Mobile Eye and I expected the AP 2.0 sensor suite (whenever it ends up being released...) will feature the latest Mobile Eye sensors. While browsing the Mobile Eye Web site, I noticed Tesla is not listed under Tier 1 so I was wondering if anyone knew if Tesla is currently still a Tier 1 integrator with Mobile Eye.

http://www.mobileye.com/markets/tier1/

2. Soolim

Soolim Member

I guess those listed are integrators selling their package products to car assembly company (e.g. GM, Ford, etc). Tesla is an integrator for itself.

3. electracity

electracity Active Member

It is a secret. Tesla had a nice run getting credit for what was mostly mobileyes work. I'm sure Tesla's current agreement with mobileye is the banishment of the word "Tesla" from any mobileye PR. So Tesla dropping off a Mobileye Tier 1 list may not be meaningful.

"The first rule of selling to Tesla is not talking about Tesla".

Tesla likely has two development paths. One is mostly homegrown. One is the current system which is mostly mobileye. Tesla may not even be exactly sure yet how AP 2.0 will be delivered. Since Tesla's AP mapping is apparently proprietary yet accumulating data off the mobileye system, they may be locked into Mobileye hardware and their approach. So 2.0 may be increasing the amount of Tesla code but running on more advanced nvidia and mobileye systems.