Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla still giving out the FSD beta to qualified drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have.

It doesn't say what you claim.

This is like the 5th or 6th outright false claim you've made in the thread so far.

Why do you keep doing that?
Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions.

Even the non-Beta FSD is regulated!

In some markets depending on local regulations, lane change confirmation can be turned off by accessing Controls > Autopilot > Customize Navigate on Autopilot and toggle ‘Lane Change Confirmation’ off.

Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions.

Neither the current FSD product, not FSDBeta are fully autonomous.

So again- no Tesla did not say that FSD is being restricted by regulators.

Again, you have no idea WTF you're talking about but refuse to take a minute to grasp that fact.

Note too the phrase "in some juristidctions"

The US is not one of them since per your own source that is not regulated here at all

Even the non-Beta FSD is regulated!

In some markets depending on local regulations, lane change confirmation can be turned off by accessing Controls > Autopilot > Customize Navigate on Autopilot and toggle ‘Lane Change Confirmation’ off.

Yes. In Europe. Not the US where you claimed it was regulated.

This is for a fully autonomous vehicle, or L5 system. Nowhere does Tesla claim that they have a fully autonomous vehicle yet. In fact, you could read this statement to say that in addition to great reliability, in some jurisdictions, regulatory approval must be secured.

So, getting back to your original claim, that some federal bureaucrat has decided how many FSD beta testers are permitted, where would we find some corroborating evidence to support your specific claim?

So far, you have provided nothing. In fact, if there was some public evidence of such, the media would have been all over it. TMC posters would be screaming about it here. And, I suspect that Elon Musk would be flooding twitter with rants about the bureaucrats that are limiting the FSD beta tester pool.

But none of this is happening. So, did you make this claim up on your own? Did you copy it from somewhere else? Or, are you claiming to have inside information from either Tesla or the Federal Government pertaining to this claim?

I suspect that you simply made it up.

Reactions: drtimhill
No wonder I'm putting on weight - every time I read TMC there's tons of sugar being thrown about - LOL Can we start using stevia or some alternative form of sweetener? :)

In all seriousness, I think the confusion is something being regulated and something seeking regulatory approval. Examples of the latter include: adding on to your house without regulatory approval in many cities; building a treehouse in your backyard that can look into your neighbors yard; building a device that transmits EM radiation; etc. Most things in society are regulated, but some things require regulatory approval before even being implemented.

SAE L0 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval
SAE L1 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval
SAE L2 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval (on many, but not all, roads/highways/freeways)
SAE L3 thru L6 - Regulated and requires regulatory approval

There has been some miscommunication/misunderstanding/confusion regarding Tesla FSD (with city streets) that it would be a SAE L3 system. Tesla has clarified that it will be a SAE L2 system and likely remain that way for some time. This is likely to avoid regulatory approval.

No wonder I'm putting on weight - every time I read TMC there's tons of sugar being thrown about - LOL Can we start using stevia or some alternative form of sweetener? :)

In all seriousness, I think the confusion is something being regulated and something seeking regulatory approval. Examples of the latter include: adding on to your house without regulatory approval in many cities; building a treehouse in your backyard that can look into your neighbors yard; building a device that transmits EM radiation; etc. Most things in society are regulated, but some things require regulatory approval before even being implemented.

SAE L2 - Regulated but does not require regulatory approval (on many, but not all, roads/highways/freeways)

There has been some miscommunication/misunderstanding/confusion regarding Tesla FSD (with city streets) that it would be a SAE L3 system. Tesla has clarified that it will be a SAE L2 system and likely remain that way for some time. This is likely to avoid regulatory approval.
Yes, thank you for explaining it better than I ever could. 😁

L3-L5 are regulated by the states not the federal government. Some states require no regulatory approval. For example Waymo operates driverless robotaxis in Arizona with no approval. However in California they needed approval for both testing and deployment of robotaxis.

L3-L5 are regulated by the states not the federal government. Some states require no regulatory approval. For example Waymo operates driverless robotaxis in Arizona with no approval. However in California they needed approval for both testing and deployment of robotaxis.
I'm pretty sure Waymo has some sort of approval in AZ. It's not nearly as bureaucratic as CA (shocker!!), but I vaguely remember the AZ governor signing something years ago that set it all up. And Uber got themselves indefinitely "suspended" after killing Elaine Herzberg.

I'm pretty sure Waymo has some sort of approval in AZ. It's not nearly as bureaucratic as CA (shocker!!), but I vaguely remember the AZ governor signing something years ago that set it all up. And Uber got themselves indefinitely "suspended" after killing Elaine Herzberg.

2018 Executive order:

2021 law change:

There's regulation, but not much. Essentially:
(1) Let us know you're going to run AVs and sign that you'll obey the law and fail safely
(2) Work with law enforcement to avoid that stuff like that video from San Francisco.

2018 Executive order:

2021 law change:

There's regulation, but not much. Essentially:
(1) Let us know you're going to run AVs and sign that you'll obey the law and fail safely
(2) Work with law enforcement to avoid that stuff like that video from San Francisco.
I'm splitting hairs here but I don't think that counts as regulatory approval. Is registering a car for personal use regulatory approval? All you have to do is write a letter to the Arizona DOT and within 24-48 hours you can start your robotaxi service.