Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla still producing the P3D- Stealth model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wished I knew about this. we have tons of tesla owners at work and I asked all of them 'what kind of m3 should I get' and no one, not a single one know or told about the stealth. damn.

all I saw was the full performance version on the website and for that money, it was too much.

my car is only a few months old and it would be crazy to swap it for a P so soon, but I am still watching to see what the next run will be and what my trade-in loss would be ;)

I just didn't know I'd like the car this much. in fact, no one pointed me to the awd version and even that would have been a better choice (with the halfway uncork) than the non-perf I have now. not sure they are going to give any more upgrades to the base model sr+ that I have.

I really wished I knew about this. we have tons of tesla owners at work and I asked all of them 'what kind of m3 should I get' and no one, not a single one know or told about the stealth. damn.

all I saw was the full performance version on the website and for that money, it was too much.

my car is only a few months old and it would be crazy to swap it for a P so soon, but I am still watching to see what the next run will be and what my trade-in loss would be ;)

I just didn't know I'd like the car this much. in fact, no one pointed me to the awd version and even that would have been a better choice (with the halfway uncork) than the non-perf I have now. not sure they are going to give any more upgrades to the base model sr+ that I have.

The car (stealth) seems to exist so salespeople can have an upsell option for would be buyers of the AWD model. I don't think they want them widely known as it would cannibalize some sales of the performance model. It existing on the Telsa website for about a week this summer before being removed but they continue to make a big batch of them each quarter for the US market.

They are also hard to get, you usually cannot wait for your color/spec ; have to take whichever one you can get your hands on when they do come available as each showroom only gets a couple. This means you likely have to pay more than the $2 premium due to other options you are stuck paying for.
I waited awhile for one in white with 18's and eventually gave up as one never came available on the Northeast ; ended up with the AWD and have since added the half cork accel boost option.
Over a couple of months I turned down multiple black Stealths both with 18's and 19's, a Red stealth with 19's, a blue Stealth with 18's and one MSM Stealth with 18's which had FSD that I did not want. Might have been able to get them to remove the FSD and was strongly considering that one but it sold too quickly to someone else.

sounds like a very slow process, if you want to have choice of color, etc. and I insist on that - car costs too much to settle for less than your exact pick.

ok, gonna be a long journey.

in a way, the longer I wait, the more refined and debugged the existing models will be.

I'm hoping some serious noise deadening happens over the next few years, anyway. the noise level is the #1 beef I have with this car.

Willing to lose thousands on the whole trade in / buy new process and you are concerned about the little bits like Homelink, 14-50 adapter and floor mats?
Only floor mat you no longer get is the frunk one. I thought I would use the frunk occasionally but I have used mine once, realized it is more of a pain to use than the trunk and not used it since.

Same here. I put my emergency 'go' bag in the frunk so the only time it's getting opened is some natural disaster or replacing the expiring food items in the backpack. lol

his opinion was that Tesla would no longer make the Stealth.

As usual with Tesla reps, there's not really any reason to believe them.

Keep in mind that Tesla has a specific 2020 EPA rating for the Performance with 18" & 19" wheels this year. This is the first time this has happened. Would seem to indicate that they are contemplating making them this year. We'll see. As others have said, they tend to be made in batches.

Does anyone know if the Stealth models would be restricted to US only? I’m in Canada, and on the Canadian site there is a specific trim of Long Range Performance with 18” wheels (in store purchase only). The local Toronto SA did not sound very knowledgeable and after checking with her manager said its not a Canadian offering. I’m doubting this as it’s clearly on the website. Their workaround was a LR AWD + Boost Upgrade.

I’m looking to hold out for this model, is the recommendation to order the AWD and keep refusing delivery until a stealth comes into inventory?

I see. I got my car 18 months ago and I didn't have these options.

Yes, you did.

You picked that option in fact.

And frequently bragged specifically about the fact you "checked all the boxes" when ordering.

Here's a screen shot of this specific box you checked, from June 2018 when the P was originally on sale and you have the option to add the $5000 performance package or not.

PUP.jpg

In late Dec 2019, I asked my sales rep to search for a Stealth nationwide. He said there were none available and with the option to add Acceleration Boost, his opinion was that Tesla would no longer make the Stealth.

As others says, opinions are like...

My friend who works there suggests that Stealth Model 3s will continue because it's $ maker, makes as much sense as anything to me

Doh! I finally found my PO, I missed the pricing by $990:

Model 3 $35,000
Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance $15,490
Pearl White Paint Included
Performance Upgrade $6,500
20’’ Gray Performance Wheels Included
All Black Premium Interior Included
Autopilot Included
Full Self-Driving Capability $7,000

The car (stealth) seems to exist so salespeople can have an upsell option for would be buyers of the AWD model. I don't think they want them widely known as it would cannibalize some sales of the performance model. It existing on the Telsa website for about a week this summer before being removed but they continue to make a big batch of them each quarter for the US market.

They are also hard to get, you usually cannot wait for your color/spec ; have to take whichever one you can get your hands on when they do come available as each showroom only gets a couple. This means you likely have to pay more than the $2 premium due to other options you are stuck paying for.
I waited awhile for one in white with 18's and eventually gave up as one never came available on the Northeast ; ended up with the AWD and have since added the half cork accel boost option.
Over a couple of months I turned down multiple black Stealths both with 18's and 19's, a Red stealth with 19's, a blue Stealth with 18's and one MSM Stealth with 18's which had FSD that I did not want. Might have been able to get them to remove the FSD and was strongly considering that one but it sold too quickly to someone else.

I was in this same spot. I really wanted white and also white interior but this combo seemed extremely rare in stealth and I was ready to gety car... :)
I have the awd now but have not got the boost as it's snowing here... Are you happy with the awd+? I am pretty impressed with the car even without boost so I have high hopes of the boost making it even better :)

Are you happy with the awd+? I am pretty impressed with the car even without boost so I have high hopes of the boost making it even better :)

Yes, am happy with it. Hesitant to recommend to all as it is not life changing and $2000 is a lot of money.
I feel the difference though and the extra acceleration throws me back more and puts a smile on my face when I hit the pedal hard.

I am not sure if this is just boost related or always true with the regular AWD and I didn't notice it as much ; but the difference between 90% state of charge and 50% of charge seems more pronounced in terms of brute power now which is kind of unfortunate since I drive around more at 50% than 90%. Again likely the regular AWD is the same and I just wasn't analyzing it as much pre-boost.

The extra power to the front you definitely notice it giving you a pull more from the front than before. Ride is overall more balanced in terms of power front and back and I have convinced myself that somehow improves traction ; though I have nothing to prove it or any experience in the slick to reference.

Makes the car now half way in between the AWD and the P in terms of acceleration overall though still the P is off the line much faster. The AWD+ from a rolling start 30+ is basically same as P now if not even faster at the higher speeds based on tests I have seen.

All depends on your mindset and expectations...
I came from a mindset of I love this car more than I thought, really happy I got the AWD but because owning the car has made such a positive impression on me ; I had regret not going for one of the stealth models even if in a color I didn't want at the time.
The boost was a way to make the car that is fun to drive even more fun, so for $2000 I thought that made sense.

not trying to throw salt in the wound........ but that's what happens when you rely on other people for info and not researching the purchase yourself.

I didn't know what it was until i read these forums.

Even though I have a stealth......... I just tell people I got the performance model because I'm tired of explaining what a "stealth" model is LOL.

Yes, am happy with it. Hesitant to recommend to all as it is not life changing and $2000 is a lot of money.
I feel the difference though and the extra acceleration throws me back more and puts a smile on my face when I hit the pedal hard.

I am not sure if this is just boost related or always true with the regular AWD and I didn't notice it as much ; but the difference between 90% state of charge and 50% of charge seems more pronounced in terms of brute power now which is kind of unfortunate since I drive around more at 50% than 90%. Again likely the regular AWD is the same and I just wasn't analyzing it as much pre-boost.

The extra power to the front you definitely notice it giving you a pull more from the front than before. Ride is overall more balanced in terms of power front and back and I have convinced myself that somehow improves traction ; though I have nothing to prove it or any experience in the slick to reference.

Makes the car now half way in between the AWD and the P in terms of acceleration overall though still the P is off the line much faster. The AWD+ from a rolling start 30+ is basically same as P now if not even faster at the higher speeds based on tests I have seen.

All depends on your mindset and expectations...
I came from a mindset of I love this car more than I thought, really happy I got the AWD but because owning the car has made such a positive impression on me ; I had regret not going for one of the stealth models even if in a color I didn't want at the time.
The boost was a way to make the car that is fun to drive even more fun, so for $2000 I thought that made sense.

Thanks for the reply. I am blown away by the AWD acceleration I mean it's not insane but it's faster than anything else I have owned. My last car was about 6 sec 0 to 60 so big difference already and going sub 4 sounds even better!

I don't really jam it off the lights anyways I more enjoy the passing or merging freedom the power gives you :)

I plan to get it I think. Just not in a rush since it's snowing right now.

Also I don't think it's quite accurate to assume the accel boost as is...is set in stone. No reason that it's not possible they push a bit more in a few months. They did already give everyone more power for free twice from what I have read :)

I love the car and think like you I will only love it more with a bit more oomph. My wife set her profile to chill before even driving it so she doesn't care either way lol.

Does anyone know if the Stealth models would be restricted to US only? I’m in Canada, and on the Canadian site there is a specific trim of Long Range Performance with 18” wheels (in store purchase only). The local Toronto SA did not sound very knowledgeable and after checking with her manager said its not a Canadian offering. I’m doubting this as it’s clearly on the website. Their workaround was a LR AWD + Boost Upgrade.

I’m looking to hold out for this model, is the recommendation to order the AWD and keep refusing delivery until a stealth comes into inventory?

They absolutely had stealth models in Canada, I bought in August 2019 and they had two in Ontario back then and some people were talking about BC having some. Keep trying, I talked to the SA in Oakville and he knew what I was talking about at the time.

Reactions: MrMSS
Willing to lose thousands on the whole trade in / buy new process and you are concerned about the little bits like Homelink, 14-50 adapter and floor mats?
Only floor mat you no longer get is the frunk one. I thought I would use the frunk occasionally but I have used mine once, realized it is more of a pain to use than the trunk and not used it since.
Exactly. All those things are still available, you just have to pay a bit for them. Homelink: $300. Floor mats: $95. 14-50 adapter: $35. Frunk mats are still available for $35. Even the "bag hooks" are available as a part through EPC for like $1.