Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla the "Apple" of automobiles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh right, another similarity between Apple & Tesla, via 3rd party 'enthusiasts'; Examples from both via the above post and Tesla Motors' Dirty Little Secret Is a Major Problem .

;)

The Motley Fool has been bashing Tesla for years, predicting its demise since the beginning, and advising people to sell the stock since it was at $25.

Who takes investment advice from a radio show and web site that calls itself fools? The only good thing about The Motley Fool is that it's honest in its naming of itself.

Back to the original topic, Apple and Tesla are both unique, though they do have some similarities.

Both Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are/were visionaries. Both were able to see how to do things in ways nobody else had thought of and that shaped their companies. But their similarities stop there. Jobs was a genius at knowing what at least a segment of the market really wanted and how to cater to them. But Jobs was not an engineer and had to rely on everyone around him to make his visions a reality.

Elon Musk has a degree in Physics and is, at heart, an engineer. He is capable of doing every job at SpaceX and Tesla and he is constantly frustrated he can't just clone himself to do every job. There is a story that he overheard someone at SpaceX complaining that Musk wanted him to do the impossible. Musk fired him on the spot and did what he had asked the engineer to do just to demonstrate to everyone else that when he asks someone to do something, he knows beyond any doubt before he asks that the job is possible.

Jobs was also a very "right brained" person and Apple products appeal the most to people who are predominantly right brained. I've spent most of my life in engineering and make my living as a programmer. To this day I find MacOS in specific and many Apple products in general terribly confusing. Apple forces you into only one way to do a task because they think it's the best way, but if that isn't the way you think, too bad. I do have an iPhone, but anything involving interfacing it to another device always takes 3-4X longer than interfacing an Android OS. I have to bend my mind into Apple think to figure out how the stupid interface works.

My SO loves Apple products. She still has a first edition Mac in storage and owns 4 MacOS machines as well as an iPhone and an iPad. The day to day operation of the iPhone is close enough to other touch screen devices it doesn't bother me too much so I put up with it and it does give a bit more flexibility when communicating with her phone. Apple did expand the SMS protocol which adds some features to texting between iOS devices that can come in handy.

It also offers a bit more robustness. I was having trouble connecting via a normal cell phone connection one day and the phone must have figured out I had a decent data signal, so it switched to calling via FaceTime audio. iOS is also way ahead of Android in battery management. The iPad can sit for a week in standby and still have battery life, but my Asus Android tablet is dead in 2 days if not fully turned off, and I have done everything possible to shut off background apps from running.

Apple hardware is also very robust. One reason I got an iPhone was I went through 3 Android phones in a about 4 years and features kept breaking on all of them. I'm on my second iPhone, but only because I wanted a bigger screen. The old iPhone still works fine, and I bought it used on EBay.

But looking at Tesla/Musk. Elon is a very left brained person. Possibly a bit too left brained for some people. The touchscreen interface is a lot like other touch screen devices out there, but like I said above, most touchscreen OSs work pretty much the same. It would be familiar to a regular Apple or Android user.

Tesla has been a bit too closed shop, like Apple is, for my tastes, but they do have plans to offer training to 3rd party mechanics in the next year or two. While Tesla has their own chargers, they don't limit their cars to Tesla chargers only. Tesla is a bit more closed in a lot of ways than other car makers now, but I think they are showing signs of relaxing that. As far as software interface, users have more access to the car's software than most car companies. There are a lot of cell phone and even some desktop computer apps that interface with the car and there is a 3rd party data logger available if you really want to get "under the hood".

Tesla also hasn't been unique with their OS like Apple was. The touchscreen system runs on Linux, which potentially makes things wide open for aftermarket modifications someday. There are some people who have hacked the OS out there. It isn't tough to do if you know what you're doing (and have complete access to the car's hardware, you're neighbor's 14 year old can't hack the car from their bedroom).

As for price, Teslas have been very expensive for what you get. However that's changing. The Model 3 is far more reasonably priced than the S/X and I expect if prices themselves don't come down significantly, what you get for the price will increase quite a bit.

The Motley Fool has been bashing Tesla for years, predicting its demise since the beginning, and advising people to sell the stock since it was at $25.

Who takes investment advice from a radio show and web site that calls itself fools? The only good thing about The Motley Fool is that it's honest in its naming of itself.

It makes it a great pairing with Barklikeadog's post. :p

Both Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are/were visionaries. Both were able to see how to do things in ways nobody else had thought of and that shaped their companies. But their similarities stop there.

Hardly. They are both EXTREMELY hard driving, pre-naturally confident, and very difficult to work with. As for Musk's "at heart, an engineer", he's far more the businessman at heart. Just as Jobs was. Jobs of course was far better at "engineering for people", the UX, compared to Musk's more traditional engineering focus. Jobs knew how to communicate with engineers, and how to interface between them and "humans". That's where the core of his technical (rather than managing) skills lay. Musk's strength is more in the numbers....but when asked about his thoughts on Nikola Tesla, Elon commented he sees himself more as Edison. Business man, bringing products to market, first and foremost.

I've spent most of my life in engineering and make my living as a programmer. To this day I find MacOS in specific and many Apple products in general terribly confusing.

Funny, I'm the former and not at all the later at all. ;) The key is to accept it as a tool, stop trying to fight it and let the tool be the tool it is rather than the tool you think it should have been. In short, be a better engineer. :p

Of course Android (if you've got the right phone) is something that's far more open to load whatever your fool heart wants to put in there, run all sorts of stuff truly in the background and root it and have at it.

But this is an Apple to Tesla comparison/contrast, so let's look at what's happened with the M3. It's so headed towards that "keep stripping the cruft off" spirit of Apple. Want to dig in tinker with it, check out the manuals and pull it apart? Order some parts? LOL Tesla's are [currently] are so very much of the Apple's "just leave it be, we'll send you a software update some day".

....but they do have plans to offer training to 3rd party mechanics in the next year or two.

Maybe. I hope. Clearly dragged kicking and screaming because of the existing expectations of automobiles as a product, particularly out of warranty vehicles. But this isn't natural to them. This isn't a Microsoft thing where they are focus was from so early on was support of 3rd party developers, ahead of the people running the software. "Developers. Developers. Developers." Sure Apple did and has puts huge effort into 3rd party support....and then they'll shank them because it puts their own work towards customers UX ahead of the 3rd party developers. Every time. *shrug*

Expecting something other than this struggle to rage within Tesla? Oh man, you're really hanging yourself out there for a setup to disappointment. :(

While Tesla has their own chargers, they don't limit their cars to Tesla chargers only.

Like iTunes on Windows? Or an adapter cable so I can run a off-the-shelf DVI ported monitor off the Mini DisplayPort on my MBAir? :p Yeah, I can use another company's charger on a Tesla.....with some extra hardware adaptor. Tesla went it's own way on charger port standards. For good reason, as believe it or not Apple does, but they still have.

Tesla also hasn't been unique with their OS like Apple was.

NeXTStep was Berkley Unix on the Mach microkernel. It was only "unique" in the the work that NeXT was doing on top of that was so far out ahead that of course it was different. It's a decades old fork now but it's still VERY MUCH unix, largely open source, and remains nearly fully POSIX compliant. There's adequate toolchain, the vast majority of OSX is open source (iOS somewhat less, but that hardware overall a lot more locked down for security reasons). OSX ports of software are largely grouped as another unix variant.

The touchscreen system runs on Linux, which potentially makes things wide open for aftermarket modifications someday.

This is a pipe dream because Tesla has locked down their system for exactly the same reasons iPhone has been. Consumer protection security. Musk has mentioned that even if you managed to get into one sub-system there encryption barriers for jumping sub-system to sub-system (I expect some sort of code signing type operation). Tesla of course is fine with hackers trying to get in and defeat these defenses so Tesla can do a better job of locking it down further.

--

Towards the end of your post didn't you notice how over and over you were struggling against how things are in attempting to differentiate between Apple and Tesla? Hoping that Tesla will become different than it is, because of the similarities to Apple you don't like?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Runt8
No. Apple is about meticulous manicured user experience and unparalleled manufacturing quality standard. Any initial product defects are fixed or replaced. Yes there are defects that surface over few years like peeling laptop screen. But you won’t find Apple products with Tesla’s QA/QC issue.

Tesla is more like typical Silicon Valley software companies. Ship beta version and fix as you develope.

are you suggesting that the actions of Apple and their suppliers are different than I posted?
I'm suggesting, as evidence very solidly supports, that Apple is a shining beacon of progress among the tech industry in overseas worker & environmental treatment. They are simply alone in a class onto themselves in how they actively audit and then pressure (carrot and stick) their supply chain to improve environmental and work conditions.

In truth Apple is bringing some of this stuff to light themselves, because their auditing process is so extensive (ground to ground, entire life cycle) and relatively transparent. Because they are talking about it, because they are pushing themselves to do better. They are basically alone in tech in this. Yes, that includes Tesla.

Of course Apple operates at the scale where this matters far more than any single other tech company but you're flat out delusional if you don't realize they are purposefully putting the whole industry on their back and carrying it to a better place.

You're very clearly arguing to be the enemy of the better in the supposed pursuit of the perfect....just like that Motley Fool article.

No. Apple is about meticulous manicured user experience and unparalleled manufacturing quality standard. Any initial product defects are fixed or replaced. Yes there are defects that surface over few years like peeling laptop screen. But you won’t find Apple products with Tesla’s QA/QC issue.

Tesla is more like typical Silicon Valley software companies. Ship beta version and fix as you develope.
That is one meaningful aspect where they differ, even if on balance they are more similarities. Tesla is far more-so a child of the "we'll fix it in post" era, Apple's roots pre-date that attitude. Of course they actually fix it in post, they have a "make it right" attitude like Apple, unlikely so much of the "just ship it" crowd.

EDIT: Speaking of "fix it in post"; 2018.10.5 Arrived Firmware patches are so very much Apple in opaqueness. Coming from Microsoft-world as I did, it was no small juxtaposition to regularly face OSX patch "notes" next to devoid of content. :) Of course Tesla and Apple aren't alone in this, it's something that comes from having a more general public facing focus. Plenty of companies are like this, because of who their customers are.

Last edited:
I'm suggesting, as evidence very solidly supports, that Apple is a shining beacon of progress among the tech industry in overseas worker & environmental treatment. They are simply alone in a class onto themselves in how they actively audit and then pressure (carrot and stick) their supply chain to improve environmental and work conditions.

In truth Apple is bringing some of this stuff to light themselves, because their auditing process is so extensive (ground to ground, entire life cycle) and relatively transparent. Because they are talking about it, because they are pushing themselves to do better. They are basically alone in tech in this. Yes, that includes Tesla.

Of course Apple operates at the scale where this matters far more than any single other tech company but you're flat out delusional if you don't realize they are purposefully putting the whole industry on their back and carrying it to a better place.

You're very clearly arguing to be the enemy of the better in the supposed pursuit of the perfect....just like that Motley Fool article.

Apple is a shining beacon? Don't tell China Labor Watch. Are we talking about the same company who responded after 14 Foxconn suicides in 2010: Foxconn suicide rate is below China avg.
LoL
Or the company in 2017 that had high schoolers forced to build Iphone Xs

“We are being forced by our school to work here,” one student, who was made to assemble 1,200 iPhone X cameras a day, told the FT. “This work has nothing to do with our studies.”

Both Apple and Foxconn acknowledged that they were aware of the students working overtime, and said they were investigating the matter. Apple, however, insisted that “the students worked voluntarily, were compensated and provided benefits.”

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's great... they haven't investigated the matter yet but know what happened.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Apple is a shining beacon?

Yup.

All those things you are talking about, playing up? The hard truth of it is that mostly other company's sins though running far worse generally don't get reported on because, besides not having the name recognition of Apple to drive "the clicks", it's well understood that unlike Apple they largely don't give a damn. They VERY actively resist giving up any info on supply chain so, along with the fact Apple's so big it's easier to find some part of their supply chain, reporting on Apple is simply a lot easier so you'll hear a lot more about that.

Nothing, nothing, in your posts changes the sad fact that, in spite of whatever shortcomings, Apple is the shining beacon dragging the industry forward. Even parts of your own posts actually support this, even if you are having a hard time bringing yourself to accept it.

EDIT: P.S. On the matter of CO2 emissions even, Apple's purposefully active at lowering theirs. They've been dropping their per revenue CO2 footprint every year for a decade running. Not exactly easy to do when your core manufacturing is in China but their nominal priority they've assigned to that particular goal has been bearing out as actual in follow through.

EDIT2: It's probably important to note that this is a non-Jobs aspect of Apple. While Jobs was never the supply chain side guy, so this whole thing wasn't his wheelhouse to start with, he was never really much on the socially conscious of Apple's collateral footprint. That's other's passion, infused and encouraged by Jobs' approach of vigour. Particularly Cook, who was Apple's "supply chain guy" from the point of Job's return to Apple in the 90's, is very much driven by this and the socially conscious side of things.

You'll see this also in just how hard Apple pushes for their customer's privacy concerns. They are the anti-Facebook, and obviously at odds with Google's outlook, in that way. That was sort of there under Jobs but only simmering, under Cook it's front and center. Cook's made it a pillar of their marketing identity.

Last edited:
Yup.

All those things you are talking about, playing up? The hard truth of it is that mostly other company's sins though running far worse generally don't get reported on because, besides not having the name recognition of Apple, it's well understood than unlike Apple they largely don't give a damn. They VERY actively resist giving up any info on supply chain so, along with the fact Apple's so big it's easier to find some part of their supply chain, reporting on Apple is actually a lot easier.

Nothing, nothing, in your posts changes the sad fact that, in spite of whatever shortcomings, Apple is the shining beacon dragging the industry forward. Parts of your posts actually support this, even if you are having a hard time bringing yourself to accept it.

I can't deny their innovation, they are going to reveal their revolutionary wireless charging soon. Who else has that? Nobody.

Apple makes a 40%GM on it's products and can scale production very easily.

Tesla is at most 20%GM on the high margin cars and who knows how low on the model 3. Making a car is much more difficult that a phone. The quality problems are proof of this.

I think that if we were forced to look at how our clothing is made, how our electronics are made, how our food is grown, how pretty much everything we consume is produced, we'd have to hang our heads in shame. It's fair to criticize Apple for manufacturing in Asia if we also criticize Apple's competitors for doing the same, and doing it worse. If you buy anything imported from third-world countries, Apple is less bad than pretty much any of them.

Hardly. They are both EXTREMELY hard driving, pre-naturally confident, and very difficult to work with. As for Musk's "at heart, an engineer", he's far more the businessman at heart. Just as Jobs was. Jobs of course was far better at "engineering for people", the UX, compared to Musk's more traditional engineering focus. Jobs knew how to communicate with engineers, and how to interface between them and "humans". That's where the core of his technical (rather than managing) skills lay. Musk's strength is more in the numbers....but when asked about his thoughts on Nikola Tesla, Elon commented he sees himself more as Edison. Business man, bringing products to market, first and foremost.

I have a friend who was a programmer at Apple and worked directly with Jobs on at least one project. Jobs was not very good at engineering speak. He had the vision for what the project should look like in the end and regularly blew a fuse when the people charged with implementing it just couldn't follow where he was going. My friend was fired a couple of times by Jobs only to be asked back when Jobs had cooled down. One time Jobs fired him on a Friday and was wondering where he was on Monday because he had forgotten he had fired my friend.

My friend is still insanely loyal to Apple products though.

Jobs did have a talent for what a certain type of consumer wanted and how to present to them in such a way they "got it" immediately.

I do agree Musk is more like Edison than Tesla. Tesla was someone who came up with new technologies. He was an inventor, and a horrible businessman. Edison was driven to take what was already known and produce consumer products with it.

But the comparison ends there. Edison was also more like Jobs. He had a lot of ideas, but he didn't do much to actually implement them. He had a large staff of technicians who did all the work converting the idea into reality.

The point I started out making, but wandered off the point by the end is we like to compare and contrast one thing with another, and it works most of the time, but sometimes a person or a company is unique enough that process breaks down. People of great genius tend to be in a class by themselves. Nikola Tesla, Isaac Newton, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Edison, Galleo Galilei, Michelangelo, and even Steve Jobs and Elon Musk all stand out in their fields as great geniuses. All of them are/were very eccentric in one way or another and all have done things nobody else in their day did. You can twist yourself into a pretzel trying, but the result is going to be all over the map because these people don't compare well with normal people. They are/were all out at the end of the bell curve.

Companies, especially companies still young enough to be run by the founders (or those who were there very close to the founding) tend to be projections of the CEO's ego. Microsoft during the Bill Gates days was very Gates-like. Apple under Jobs was very Jobs-like and Tesla under Musk is very Musk-like.

Microsoft still makes a healthy profit and they will likely be around for some time, but they haven't been in the headlines as much since Gates retired. They keep chasing the success of Windows 95, but with each new OS version is becomes more and more of a dream. They will likely remain a standard in the business world for the next few decades, but their days of the world looking to them for the next big thing are over.

It's too early to tell, but Apple is headed that way too. They have a staggeringly large pile of cash and a strong rep from the Hobs days to coast on, but while Cook is a competent manager, he doesn't have the vision and drive Jobs had. After Jobs' return to Apple, they released all new devices for new market niches every couple of years and they were constantly refreshing the old products. The only all new product released since Jobs' death was the Apple Watch which was almost ready for market when Jobs died.

Apple has made a couple of attempts to get an Apple car project off the ground, but all efforts have failed. There isn't a maniac at the top whipping the troops to innovate better. Cook is happy to leave the engineers to do their thing, which works with stable products, but not so much when innovating something nobody has successfully done before.

I say successfully done before because anyone who knows the computer business knows much of what Apple did was tried before. The GUI on a computer driven by a mouse was invented by Xerox PARC in the early 70s and there were some workstations that implemented it on the market before Apple tried the Lisa and failed, then finally came out with the Macintosh which was a huge success. Others had tried to make tablet computers work before the iPad, but the iPad was the first one that caught on.

Elon Musk's genius also is in seeing what hasn't been done, but it possible and making it happen. When Tesla was in its infancy there was a lot of people exploring electric cars. An electric conversion industry was springing up in California and the success of the li-ion battery in laptops had a lot of people thinking about adapting the technology for cars. So far Tesla is the only one of the early companies that has grown, all the others are still conversion shops doing a handful of cars a year, or they folded.

By the nature of their businesses, Apple and Tesla are different critters. Cars are vastly more complex machines than computers with many more moving parts. They also are very expensive and resource intensive to make. A car is the second most expensive thing most people will ever own after a house. And in cost per year, it's the most expensive. I'm unusual that I drove the same car for 24 years, most people get another car every few years and most 20 year old cars are completely worn out. A house can last 100 years and still be worth more than when you bought it (mostly driven by land value).

Computers are fungible. A lot of people only keep a computing device for a few years and then they are on to something newer. Computing devices are also a lot cheaper to make and much faster turn with new technology. A factory that covers a few acres can make a million iPhones a year, but a much larger car factory is doing good to produce 100,000 cars a year with a larger workforce.

Tesla has brought in a lot more technology from the computer business than most car companies have. The oversized center screen is still unique to Tesla. I believe some other companies are talking about doing over the air updates, but Tesla has been doing it for 5 years now.

Electric cars are also different tech from traditional cars. They share more tech with the electronics industry than most cars, but ultimately Teslas are still heavy machinery made in an old fashioned car factory (built by GM).

It's possible to compare and contrast Apple and Tesla as well as Jobs and Musk, but in the end it will break down because they are two eccentric geniuses who ultimately are/were in their own class. What their companies do is different enough too that comparing them is difficult.

Funny, I'm the former and not at all the later at all. ;) The key is to accept it as a tool, stop trying to fight it and let the tool be the tool it is rather than the tool you think it should have been. In short, be a better engineer. :p

I approach everything new from basic principles. My first introduction to computing was machine language. I learned fundamentally what a computer could do and approach it from that angle. Every OS except MacOS and some Apple products I've ever used, I can generally figure out how to get from here to there using that approach. With Apple, there is some different way that you have to just have to accept. It doesn't make any sense when approached the way I do.

Maybe. I hope. Clearly dragged kicking and screaming because of the existing expectations of automobiles as a product, particularly out of warranty vehicles. But this isn't natural to them. This isn't a Microsoft thing where they are focus was from so early on was support of 3rd party developers, ahead of the people running the software. "Developers. Developers. Developers." Sure Apple did and has puts huge effort into 3rd party support....and then they'll shank them because it puts their own work towards customers UX ahead of the 3rd party developers. Every time. *shrug*

Expecting something other than this struggle to rage within Tesla? Oh man, you're really hanging yourself out there for a setup to disappointment. :(

Tesla did announce a few months ago they were going to be rolling out a mechanics training program at some point in the next year.

I do agree Microsoft has been much more open from the start than either Apple or Tesla. Microsoft's documentation on what's under the hood can be cryptic, but it does exist and there is a whole industry of people explaining what Microsoft's documentation is trying to say.

Like iTunes on Windows? Or an adapter cable so I can run a off-the-shelf DVI ported monitor off the Mini DisplayPort on my MBAir? :p Yeah, I can use another company's charger on a Tesla.....with some extra hardware adaptor. Tesla went it's own way on charger port standards. For good reason, as believe it or not Apple does, but they still have.

Apple does have a history of creating unique hardware interfaces just to be different. They probably could have done just fine using the same charging/data connector as everyone else, but they had to invent the lightning connector to be different. In many cases they end up adapting to the rest of the industry in the end. They touted Fireware as the alternative to USB for some time, and it still exists on Apple products (it's even used in the Windows world for debugging embedded devices), USB is the standard that even Apple uses for most peripherals.

ITunes is quite possibly the worst piece of software on any desktop OS. Many of my friends are ardent Apple fans and when they are touting the superiority of Apple products over everything else, mentioning iTunes usually shuts them up.

It is another example of what I was talking about above with the "Apple way". When I want to copy something from a cell phone to my desktop, over vice versa, I expect to be able to plug in the device and just move the files I want to move. Instead, iTunes forces you into this weird mirroring scheme and if you have multiple Apple devices you want to plug in, iTunes doesn't care, it will end up mirroring what's on your SO's cell phone to your iPad, even if you didn't want that.

I've made custom ringtones for both Android and iPhone. With Android you plug in the device, it looks like a memory stick so you just move the MP3 with the ringtone to the right directory on the phone and you're done. Once you have the MP3, it takes about 5 minutes. On the iPhone, you need to go through a weird process on iTunes involving several steps I can't remember now to convert the file from MP3 format to some unique format only used for Apple ringtones, then you have to clone your phone to your computer, put the ringtone files in the right place in the image, then mirror the whole thing back.

I did get a third party alternative to iTunes that made it a little easier the last time, but it still took over an hour and a few false starts.

NeXTStep was Berkley Unix on the Mach microkernel. It was only "unique" in the the work that NeXT was doing on top of that was so far out ahead that of course it was different. It's a decades old fork now but it's still VERY MUCH unix, largely open source, and remains nearly fully POSIX compliant. There's adequate toolchain, the vast majority of OSX is open source (iOS somewhat less, but that hardware overall a lot more locked down for security reasons). OSX ports of software are largely grouped as another unix variant.

Windows NT is built on top of a UNIX kernel too. Apple's core OS under there is still more UNIX-like than Windows, but all the major desktop OSs have similar roots.

Towards the end of your post didn't you notice how over and over you were struggling against how things are in attempting to differentiate between Apple and Tesla? Hoping that Tesla will become different than it is, because of the similarities to Apple you don't like?

True. I was trying in vain to get back to my original point: You can compare the two, but at some point all comparisons break down.

Ultimately Apple is in a business where third party vendors making software is usually going to make or break you. For many years MacOS languished vs DOS/Windows because more people were writing programs for Microsoft OSs. Tesla is in a business where proprietary software is the norm. In the car business hardware peripherals and modifications are extremely common, but nobody allows others to modify their software (though there are some aftermarket hacks out there for Tesla as well as other cars).

When I want to copy something from a cell phone to my desktop, over vice versa, I expect to be able to plug in the device and just move the files I want to move. Instead, iTunes forces you into this weird mirroring scheme...

I use AirDrop. I can't remember the last time I've plugged my phone or tablet into my computer with a cable.

Jobs did have a talent for what a certain type of consumer wanted and how to present to them in such a way they "got it" immediately.

Yeah, humans. There's an estimated 600 million active users of Apple devices. Not active devices (there's double that), not people that have ever bought something from Apple or devices ever sold. Just people using them now, day-to-day. From a single company. That's simply a stunning % of the population given the $100's entry point for it. Over nearly 1/2 off all phones sold the US last year.

Truth is that Jobs understood engineering better than nearly all engineers. True only at the minutiae detail in field of UX (that he was fervently hands on with) but at a high level he had a very firm grasp on it, to process what the rest of the company (and your friend was talking about) and formulate the path forward.

That's where you so deeply misunderstand, as evidenced by:

But the comparison ends there. Edison was also more like Jobs. He had a lot of ideas, but he didn't do much to actually implement them. He had a large staff of technicians who did all the work converting the idea into reality.

That's total nonsense. Jobs was an essential part of building these items. He built that stuff as much as the next person at Apple, and you simply don't gronk this. :( That's a grasp of engineering so often leads churning out mounds of unused and unusable crud, rudderless projects lost in the fog.

Apple does have a history of creating unique hardware interfaces just to be different.

That's the myth. :p There's nigh always a solid technical purpose, it's a solution to a goal they've got. They definitely push the envelope in a lot of ways, finding areas where others aren't serving a purpose, so it's hardly surprising it'll be "unique" looking. Sometimes that works and others follow the standard, sometimes it doesn't and they shift down the road when there's something better off-the-shelf.

Just. Like. Tesla . "Nobody is doing a charging port standard that's up to what we need. F$%^ it, we're doing this in-house."

And on and on you post goes in this theme, so I'll cut it brief here.

I think that if we were forced to look at how our clothing is made, how our electronics are made, how our food is grown, how pretty much everything we consume is produced, we'd have to hang our heads in shame. It's fair to criticize Apple for manufacturing in Asia if we also criticize Apple's competitors for doing the same, and doing it worse. If you buy anything imported from third-world countries, Apple is less bad than pretty much any of them.
Which is why we should spend the extra $$ to buy American or euro products whenever possible. Outside of electronics, it is easy to find a wide array of products made here.

In general, I am not a fan of Apple products. I find that Apple products are overpriced, limited in flexibility, and overly controlled by the company. For example, I have only used PC's for both personal and business use. MY DW has a Macbook. Third party software for the Mac is limited, especially for business applications. I find the UI on the Mac very frustrating, but maybe that is because I do not use her's frequently. And then her Macbook cost twice as much as my business level PC. I purchased a new printer and it works great with my PC while functionality is limited with the Mac. Same goes for smartphones. My DW has an android phone that works great and is half the price of a similar Iphone.

Is Tesla the "Apple" of automobiles? To answer my own question, the answer is no, not at this time. The reason I come to this conclusion is based on several factors.
  • Elon wants to change the world in terms reducing carbon emissions for personal transportation. Other auto manufacturers are in the EV market to maintain their competitive edge. They have no world changing strategy.
  • Tesla is the only maker that is constantly improving their product through OTA improvements.
  • Tesla has invested a considerable amount of money into a worldwide Supercharger network.
  • Tesla has eliminated the independent dealership concept
  • Tesla does not use corporate advertising, they let their "competition" advertise for them in addition to their customers.
I will not deny that Apple makes very attractive looking products and they are innovative much like Tesla. But that is where the similarities end. No, Tesla is not the Apple of automobiles------at this time. That may change in the future as the personal transportation market becomes more competitive.

There are major differences, like how they produce their goods and the basic strategy behind their sales. But cars and phones are very different and just because the Tesla's are electric, doesn't mean it's the same as Apple entering the very young smart phone market, that'S more like autonomous cars to regular cars (smart car vs dumb car).

Their backstories are also different, Apple is an old company and it was an old company when they entered the smartphone market. At that point basically everyone had an iPod plus iTunes already and the company has been around so long, that everyone knew it. Once they entered the already established smartphone market, their sales increased very quickly making Apple super profitable.

Tesla was a startup and one of the first to try EVs, but they still aren't profitable after all these years, nor is the EV market even close to mass market size.

But there are also big similarities, mostly due to both of them being silicon valley companies:
-Both don't really support 3rd party solutions, they want to keep people using their own SW and products, even if inferior
-Both like a big show and talking about revolutionary things, even if they aren't (Tesla will get to that point pretty soon).
-Both prefer different sales tactics, than the already established ones
-Both sometimes overcomplicate things, in order to make it simpler for the consumer eventually.

So instead of calling it the Apple of cars, I call it Tesla. There is no formula for success, it's a lot of lucky timing and luck in general. Trying to make two companies look similar, because they achieved something, is trying to find a pattern, where there is none.

Which is why we should spend the extra $$ to buy American or euro products whenever possible. Outside of electronics, it is easy to find a wide array of products made here.

There's the rub, right? That new fangled electronics stuff is everywhere. Including cars....including Tesla's cars. You realize this, right? Nobody's reporting on that for you to roll out lines about sweatshops, because it's extremely tough to even find out who Tesla's suppliers might be (and the ones interested are their competitors, so that ends up in trade magazines).

I mean a few manufacturers are trying to bring electronics production back to the US (guess who's a major pusher in that :p ) but ultimately these supply chains run worldwide. Even the most very ardent, with prices to match, that push it eventual go international for some parts. Not even just for electronics, for lots of different parts used to make the end consumer products.

Welcome to the global economy. Which is ultimately good thing for humanity because one of the few things worse than working for low wages is starving because of no wages.

Last edited: