Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla the "Apple" of automobiles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, TSLA is only about ten times what I paid for it. What a shame! This has been a volatile stock from the very beginning. But you know what's the worst thing? I'm never going to make any money from my TSLA stock because I like what they're doing so much that I never want to sell the stock. I own a piece of a company that's changing the world for the better.

The only thing Tesla can do to legitimately increase the value of the stock is to grow as a company. And that means doing just what they are doing now: Building great cars and planning for more. They're having some quality issues, which is disappointing, but they are learning and fixing them, which all anyone can ask.
Is it still 10 times today?

How long are you willing to hold on? 261 right now.

Is it still 10 times today?

How long are you willing to hold on? 261 right now.

As I've said, TSLA has never been an investment for me and I don't have enough shares to be worth much in my overall portfolio. I will hold my shares as long as I like what the company is doing (building great electric cars). It's not about the money for me, and I think it is foolish to base an investment plan on individual stock issues, and worse to try to make money day-trading on the ups and downs. My investments are in mutual funds and a very diversified portfolio of bonds that I plan on holding to maturity. TSLA is something I have a little of for fun.

But no, right now it's only about 7 1/2 times what I paid for it.

If my car turned out to be a lemon and they refused to fix or replace it, I could get mad enough at them to sell my shares. But I'm not selling them just based on the vagaries of the stock market because I didn't buy them to make money. When I bought my shares I thought they might be as high as $70 by now. But I'd have kept them even if they'd gone down, as long as the company kept making great electric cars.

With all due respect, buying individual stock shares is gambling, and when you gamble you can expect to lose more often than you gain because other folks have information you don't and have the technology to react to news faster than you. I don't think I've bought or sold anything in the market for a few years, other than to reinvest the money from a few bonds that matured or were called.

For example, I have only used PC's for both personal and business use.
My household was Apple only for about 25 years. It was a very good experience until Apple became intrusive in my daily computing with logon demands, iCloud demands, and update demands. Nowadays we are happily in the PC camp as Chromebook/Android buyers. We have been able to standardize on USB-C for data and power which is awesome.

You can slice and dice Apple Vs Tesla any way you find matches your opinion, but I will say this: I have the distinct general impression that Apple products have a considerably longer life cycle than Windows (and probably Chromebook/Android too.) So people pay more upfront but I'm not sure the TCO is more. Tesla is similar: high upfront cost, but competitive TCO over time. I see this higher embedded value similarity as fundamental to each company.

My household was Apple only for about 25 years. It was a very good experience until Apple became intrusive in my daily computing with logon demands, iCloud demands, and update demands. Nowadays we are happily in the PC camp as Chromebook/Android buyers. We have been able to standardize on USB-C for data and power which is awesome.

You can slice and dice Apple Vs Tesla any way you find matches your opinion, but I will say this: I have the distinct general impression that Apple products have a considerably longer life cycle than Windows (and probably Chromebook/Android too.) So people pay more upfront but I'm not sure the TCO is more. Tesla is similar: high upfront cost, but competitive TCO over time. I see this higher embedded value similarity as fundamental to each company.
Your chromebook will only "wear out" as in if the hardware breaks - key board, screen, no spinning disk
Software upgrades continuously so no "need" to upgrade hardware for newest Operating System.

down side - google owns your privacy - and so does facebook - (all digital communications, credit cards etc.. of course the secret state as Snowden revealed)

Can't run specialized software - CAD software for example - but many things moving into the cloud, so CAD run thru browser may already exist - I can't keep up on everything...

Your chromebook will only "wear out" as in if the hardware breaks - key board, screen, no spinning disk
Agreed.

The voluntary short replacement cycle occurs for us due to hardware design improvements:
Better displays
Better keyboards
Thinner, lighter
Nicer materials
The list continues ...

I am typing on the 3rd chromebook (a 13" Acer) I have bought in about 3 years and while close, it sill does not match my 4 year old MacBook Air in ergonomics or fit and finish.

Agreed.

The voluntary short replacement cycle occurs for us due to hardware design improvements:
Better displays
Better keyboards
Thinner, lighter
Nicer materials
The list continues ...

I am typing on the 3rd chromebook (a 13" Acer) I have bought in about 3 years and while close, it sill does not match my 4 year old MacBook Air in ergonomics or fit and finish.
nor did the price you paid
Pixel Chromebook would compare much better, right? - but then $1400 ?? No, not worth the price to me but to others may be fine.

nor did the price you paid
Right, that is why I said the TCO over time is not too much different. The depreciation rates as judged by used computers sold on Ebay tell the same story.

Speaking of the Pixelbook, lightly used is now being sold for ~ $600 - $700 on Ebay not 9 months after introduction. I've been very tempted but I don't like the rubber handrests ... and a new model is just a few months away.