TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Tesla the most American car company ever?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by flankspeed8, Jan 8, 2015.

1. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

#1 flankspeed8, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    edit: Perhaps not ever, but in modern times?

I have been binge watching all of the Mega Factory, How its Made, etc documentaries on YouTube and am fascinated by the logistics of Tesla. From what I could tell from the documentary, the motors and batteries are both made (assembled?) in Fremont. So, from a percentage of U.S. (or in NAFTA terms, North American) what is the domestic percentage of current production Model S?

Tesla is a U.S. company unlike every other car manufacturer except for Ford and GM. It seems to me that taking this into account, there is not a more American car than the Model S. Is my logic flawed? R&D, production and profit seems to start and end in the U.S.

What about the copper for the motors?
    Aluminum for the body?
    I am guessing the individual Panasonic cells come from Japan?
    Do these New Generation seats come from Europe?

When the Model III starts receiving batteries from the GF it would be logical to think that the M3 will be the most American car in history?

If Tesla ever does start advertising in the U.S. I could see this as a major theme harkening back to the Chevy Heartbeat of America, or whatever it was.

This is just one more aspect that makes me so excited to get my hands on one of these vehicles.

2. cschock

cschock Member

Well, my sticker from early 2013 put the US/Canadian content of the Model S at 55%. Once the gigafactory is cranking out cells, I imagine that would rise substantially. Would be interesting to see if the current US/Canadian content is markedly different than it was early on.

Does that make Tesla "more American" than any other car maker? I don't know that it matters. Either way it is clearly an American success story (even if the CEO is from South Africa!) Oh, globalization.

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

No.

Tesla doesn't suck. How American is that?

:tongue:

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't know where Tesla gets their copper from, but Bingham Canyon mine outside of Salt Lake City in Utah is one of the world's major sources of copper - they've more or less taken down one of the rocky mountains over the years in a huge open pit mine which is producing ~15% of the US's copper needs:

home | riotintokennecott.com

Bingham Canyon Mine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right now it looks like half the world's aluminum comes from China - we make about 10% as much as they do domestically, though:

List of countries by aluminium production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Until the GF opens, pretty much all lithium batteries come from Japan/China AFAIK.
    Walter

5. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

wow. I would have guessed much higher. Out of curiosity I pulled out the sticker from my 2014 Volt and it is 45% US/CAN with 17% Japan (transmission) and 19% Korea (battery?)

6. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

Got a lot more battery in a Tesla.:biggrin:

7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Don't forget that essentially all the energy to drive the car is also American. To my knowledge there are almost no sources of electricity that are imported (except for a bit from Canada).

We don't have to fight a continuous war to keep Teslas on the road.

8. wayner

wayner Active Member

Don't you guys have an LNG importation terminal in Everett, Mass - pretty much right in Boston?

And we were on track for North American being self-sufficient in petroleum as well.