Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla the only EV one can buy "easily"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking hard at EVs to upgarde my ICE. Few observations (that are well known, especially to this audience) that lead me to believe Tesla is the only realistic/mature option out there.

- No EVs are actually available to try (test drive) and get in a month or two
- Even if they are, dealing with dealerships just got more obnoxious with the $$$$ markups

However, let's assume things get better, but I am concerned about the battery tech (longevity, degradation, etc.) by all new non-Tesla vehicles.

Any pointers/thoughts on batteries used in these EVs? Even if they are new cars, I assume the battery tech be more well studied or well-known. Or is it all new/custom?

Thanks

Not really.
Looking hard at EVs to upgarde my ICE. Few observations (that are well known, especially to this audience) that lead me to believe Tesla is the only realistic/mature option out there.

- Even if they are, dealing with dealerships just got more obnoxious with the $$$$ markups
Leaf has been out since Dec 2010 (First 2011 Nissan Leaf Delivery, To Northern Californian Buyer). However, the batteries from Leafs built before 4/2013 were terrible from a degradation POV. I had two Leafs (leased '13 and a 5/2013 built '13 that I bought used and had until middle of 2021).

The "lizard" packs on model year '15 and '16 S were the best 24 kWh packs and were fairly good. 30 kWh packs weren't so good. The 40 kWh packs (on '18+ non-Plus) seem to be holding up well. Ditto for 62 kWh ones on Leaf Plus but those have only been out in the US since Spring 2019.

If you try ordering the cheapest 3 from Design Your Model 3 | Tesla, The ETA is Oct 2022. I guess it's "easy" but the wait is very long unless you are willing to pony up for more expensive versions/options.

I went for a test drive of a Niro EV either in Dec 2021 or Nov 2021 and mentioned it at Are there 2022 leafs for sale in the US? - My Nissan Leaf Forum. There were a few at the dealer.

The markup situation is ridiculous. New Kia Niro EV Novato CA is openly marking up Niro EVs by $5K over MSRP. I've seen markups on Kona EVs too of at least $2K. Near the bottom of Car Sales Madness Continues: Dealer Markups Highest for Cadillacs, Land Rovers, Kias | Edmunds is a table of markups.

I got my '19 Bolt bought back by GM (returned on 1/28/22) after 3 years of ownership related to the battery recall (long story) and got a really good check. Guy at my work had used an auto broker to lease a Niro EV and pointed me to Topics tagged kia. The broker he used (👑 California Kia Specials ~ LEGENDS AUTO GROUP ~ California's Premier Auto Brokers) had no Niro EV EX (base trim, what I wanted). I did ping him a bunch to see if the situation got better. I even asked about Kona EV and he wasn't able to get any. The Kona EV inventory situation seems quite dynamic.

I ended using 🚀 Kia Lease Pricing CA~ The Original Kia Thread © ~ Niro Ev EX 2k DAS 315+tax ~ ALL EV6 IN-STOCK @MSRP and also tried Cartelligent | Online New Car Sales and Leasing in California - Cartelligent who someone else recommended. The latter could get me a car and would have for me to pick up from Menlo Park. Car would be shipped from So Cal. If I started on a process with them, it'd have probably taken a week or so. They batch up their car shipments onto a carrier to cut down on costs. But their total cost of lease including his fee was a lot more (diff of over $1500 vs. EZ Auto Group (Sam)).

Since EZ Auto Group/Sam wants people to text or call, my 1st ping to him was a text on 1/16/21. I wasn't quite ready yet as I hadn't set a surrender date for my Bolt yet.

I went back and forth w/Sam via iMessage for awhile and maybe had 1 phone call. He required I submit a credit application to reserve a car, which I did on 1/21/22. I planned for a 1/29/22 pickup and since they don't ship, I flew down to So Cal on 1/29 to sign and drive the car back up 450 miles. The pickup went fine and the numbers on the lease documents matched what he quoted me. My biggest fear was some sort of bait and switch and thus having to fly back empty handed or paying a whole bunch extra.

The funny part is that I met rhuber (CCS Adapter for North America) at an Electrify America station in So Cal that was my 1st charging stop on the drive back up.

I'd say that if you were serious about trying to lease or buy using one of those auto brokers (e.g. EZ Auto Group or Cartelligent | Online New Car Sales and Leasing in California - Cartelligent), you could get one as long pretty quickly as there was inventory or incoming cars, possibly even within a day, esp. if you're in So Cal, dealing w/a So Cal broker.

I only wanted a Niro EV EX, didn't care if it had the cold weather package, had two top color choices, the rest of the colors being ok except black. So, I wasn't that picky. I was looking at total cost of lease for a given set of terms and vehicle.

The 3rd broker that dealt w/Kias over at Leasehackr was Omega w/a fancy calculator page and all. They were expensive. There were no active CA brokers that dealt w/Leafs at all at the time.

I had pinged a few dealers about leasing or buying new Leafs and often, they'd have some incoming inventory and you had to put a deposit down to snag one. They were usually spoken for pretty quick, sometimes within a day or two.

Last edited:
Oh wow! Thank you for such a detailed and resourceful reply. I will follow those bread crumbs :)

I am glad you are enjoying your new EV after the hardwork to get it!

Few points:
- Occasionally I think Tesla releases inventory vehicles, but almost always the LRs or Performabce models
- I am leaning towards buying an EV, so I am agonizing a bit more about battery longevity and overall resale value (in a 5-7 year time frame). I know "EVs are like phones" so may be resale would be hard.
- I would have loved to lease an EV if we could bring back the good ol' days for <$150/month lease on EVs 😀

Reactions: cwerdna
There might be more EV choices than you realize.

See Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds and Fuel Economy (yes, many are dupes). The Bolt EV and EUV are still on stop sale until the existing '22 get their packs replaced or cars from the April 4th, 2022+ batch (GM plans to restart Chevy Bolt EV production April 4, as recall battery replacements continue) end up at dealers.

Since you're also in CA, you will have access to all them, unlike those who live outside CARB emission states. Numerous automakers (e.g. HyunKia) have not been serious about selling/leasing BEVs in the US to much beyond CARB states.

BTW, when I was at that So Cal dealer to pick up a Niro EV, two folks told me at one point they only had two new Kias. That dealership group also has a Chevy dealer next door and they said at one point, they only had 6 new Chevy trucks, so the inventory situation can be quite bad.

Last edited:
There might be more EV choices than you realize.

See Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds and Fuel Economy (yes, many are dupes). The Bolt EV and EUV are still on stop sale until the existing '22 get their packs replaced or cars from the April 4th, 2022+ batch (GM plans to restart Chevy Bolt EV production April 4, as recall battery replacements continue) end up at dealers.

Since you're also in CA, you will have access to all them, unlike those who live outside CARB emission states. Numerous automakers (e.g. HyunKia) have not been serious about selling/leasing BEVs in the US to much beyond CARB states.

Thats is true -- I hope things get better by summer once Detroit reopens their stalled prod pipelines.

Being in CA also has a disadvantage of dealing with buggers who markup cars by $5-10K (often unexpectedly, at the last minute after the reservation comes at a dealer ... ) ... which then puts a $40K car (starter model for ID4 or EV6, for example) in a Tesla price range of $45K without the EV rebate! 😭😑

Not to mention the annoyance and wasted time/energy of dealing with dealerships during the process.

Thats is true -- I hope things get better by summer once Detroit reopens their stalled prod pipelines.

Being in CA also has a disadvantage of dealing with buggers who markup cars by $5-10K (often unexpectedly, at the last minute after the reservation comes at a dealer ... ) ... which then puts a $40K car (starter model for ID4 or EV6, for example) in a Tesla price range of $45K without the EV rebate! 😭😑
The cheapest 3 is $46,190 (including $1200 dest + doc fee), not including tax and license.

There are many cheaper EVs than an ID4 or EV6. Electric Cars Compared By Price Per Mile Of EPA Range: Feb 9, 2022 lists price but those are after $7500 Federal tax credit (n/a for GM and Tesla vehicles).

Reactions: kwhguzzler
I got my '19 Bolt bought back by GM (returned on 1/28/22) after 3 years of ownership related to the battery recall (long story) and got a really good check.

I ended using 🚀 Kia Lease Pricing CA~ The Original Kia Thread © ~ Niro Ev EX 2k DAS 315+tax ~ ALL EV6 IN-STOCK @MSRP and also tried Cartelligent | Online New Car Sales and Leasing in California - Cartelligent who someone else recommended. The latter could get me a car and would have for me to pick up from Menlo Park. Car would be shipped from So Cal. If I started on a process with them, it'd have probably taken a week or so. They batch up their car shipments onto a carrier to cut down on costs. But their total cost of lease including his fee was a lot more (diff of over $1500 vs. EZ Auto Group (Sam)).

Since EZ Auto Group/Sam wants people to text or call, my 1st ping to him was a text on 1/16/21. I wasn't quite ready yet as I hadn't set a surrender date for my Bolt yet.

I went back and forth w/Sam via iMessage for awhile and maybe had 1 phone call. He required I submit a credit application to reserve a car, which I did on 1/21/22. I planned for a 1/29/22 pickup and since they don't ship, I flew down to So Cal on 1/29 to sign and drive the car back up 450 miles. The pickup went fine and the numbers on the lease documents matched what he quoted me. My biggest fear was some sort of bait and switch and thus having to fly back empty handed or paying a whole bunch extra.
I'd say that if you were serious about trying to lease or buy using one of those auto brokers (e.g. EZ Auto Group or Cartelligent | Online New Car Sales and Leasing in California - Cartelligent), you could get one as long pretty quickly as there was inventory or incoming cars, possibly even within a day, esp. if you're in So Cal, dealing w/a So Cal broker.
BTW, to clarify my situation. I set my return date of my Bolt that was bought back to be 1/28/22 because it was the day my CA tags expired (offer from GM RVDC was received 1/7/22 (which took them months) and I accepted the following Monday). I didn't want to go a day past 1/28 as then I'd owe CA for another year of registration (~$400) and CA doesn't give pro-rated refunds.

I was also kinda busy with work and other things. I can't just be absent from work on days where I have very specific time-sensitive commitments/deliverables due and work that must be done on certain days (and can't be done earlier). 1/29/22 happened to be a Saturday and I knew I'd blow an entire day flying to So Cal and driving back at least 330 miles (I didn't know where in So Cal the dealer was, at the beginning).

If I went thru that same broker (Sam/EZ Auto Group) and lived in So Cal or had no time/day constraints + wanted to make it quick, I'm pretty confident that I could've gotten the car sooner than the lag I had between 1st ping (1/16) and when I picked up (1/29). Part of my correspondence was to check on inventory and he was able to give me a thumbs up/down in the inventory situation.

On 1/16, I didn't even have a surrender date set up with the hosting dealer for my Bolt buyback. The Chevy dealer reached out to me some point after that and we agreed upon 1/28. I didn't want to be stuck w/an extra car that I overpaid for (given the crazy market now) if the buyback fell thru nor did I want to be w/o a car for too long since I had no other car.

Last edited:
Side note: The person at Are there 2022 leafs for sale in the US? - Page 5 - My Nissan Leaf Forum previously mentioned some Leafs in stock around Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area. Just a quick Google search for the 1st two dealers that came up in that area turned up these w/two Leafs each:

That kind of markup would certainly explain why a dealership has them in stock ready to sell.

The other obvious explanation is the grill and overall Prius blob shape. Tesla managed to make a really good looking aerodynamic car in the Model S. Lucid has made something at least purposeful with good presence, if not exactly pretty, in the Air. Mercedes-Benz really failed hard with the EQS design in my opinion. A car's appearance isn't my top priority but I seriously wouldn't want to be seen driving that thing.

While EQS is clearly not my kind of car (even if it looked better), I am curious to drive one. I kind of feel bad asking a dealer for a test drive of a car that I have zero intention/possibility of actually buying though. (Obviously I wouldn't tell them that, else they wouldn't let me drive it.) I'm probably going way overboard with morality there...

Reactions: kwhguzzler

However, let's assume things get better, but I am concerned about the battery tech (longevity, degradation, etc.) by all new non-Tesla vehicles.

Any pointers/thoughts on batteries used in these EVs? Even if they are new cars, I assume the battery tech be more well studied or well-known. Or is it all new/custom?

Thanks
I'd be worried about jumping on a new EV maker until they have a 1-2 year history. Battery tech is subtle and Tesla have years of honing the batteries and associated software/control mechanisms (and a lot of IP around this tech). To be sure, later entrants can learn from some of the work, but a lot of this remains trade secrets and thus not accessible to new entrants.

There is also the issue of service .. sure Tesla has a mixed record here, but they do at least understand the cars. I'm not sure I'd be happy taking a Mach-R Mustang to a Ford dealer and hoping they had someone there who knew anything at all about the car.

I'd be worried about jumping on a new EV maker until they have a 1-2 year history. Battery tech is subtle and Tesla have years of honing the batteries and associated software/control mechanisms (and a lot of IP around this tech). To be sure, later entrants can learn from some of the work, but a lot of this remains trade secrets and thus not accessible to new entrants.

There is also the issue of service .. sure Tesla has a mixed record here, but they do at least understand the cars. I'm not sure I'd be happy taking a Mach-R Mustang to a Ford dealer and hoping they had someone there who knew anything at all about the car.

True that --- I have heard funny/horror story from a friend who got a VW ID4 last year, and the dealer called them for "scheduled oil change"; they thought it was prank, told them they have an ID.4 and its only been few months, and service guy says "yes, their dealership provides excellent service and wants to make sure new cars are working well and lubricated well" (paraphrasing, but 90% accurate) 🙃

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
True that --- I have heard funny/horror story from a friend who got a VW ID4 last year, and the dealer called them for "scheduled oil change"; they thought it was prank, told them they have an ID.4 and its only been few months, and service guy says "yes, their dealership provides excellent service and wants to make sure new cars are working well and lubricated well" (paraphrasing, but 90% accurate) 🙃
I laugh, but to be fair I've paid Tesla service for at least two oil changes (drive unit oil change) on our Model S. At least once with its previous drive unit back when it was recommended maintenance, and again recently with its current drive unit (which itself has a couple years and good number of miles on it now).

Tesla has since removed it from the official maintenance schedule, I guess it's supposed to last the life of the drive unit itself, but it still seemed worthwhile for potentially extending the drive unit's life on a car that we're keeping well beyond its warranty period.

Unfortunately, as much as I enjoyed its pics, I can never convince myself to purchase that car.

BTW are dealers selling at MSRP? I have heard horror stories of 30-40K markup in SF Bay Area
On the east coast I seen one 580 advertised at MSRP. I’ve seen several others advertised at 50k over MSRP. So I’m not the one I saw was am ad to get you to call to find that out later or note. 450+ models I’ve seen more available without markup. Not sure if there is any discounting. The current 450+ is 2WD with the new batch coming in 4matic. The exterior styling I found to be odd, and I get their push for efficiency. The interiors was really wonderful.

We are looking to replace our pretty much useless 2012 Nissan LEAF with another EV. In the Charlotte, North Carolina area, there are at least two options: Hyundai Ioniq5 and Polestar2. The Ioniq5’s are available mostly in the mid SEL trim level and we test drove one of several on the lot a couple of weekends ago. The more desirable to us Limited trim is not readily available though and is getting the $5k markup treatment so popular today…and selling every one they make long before delivery. These are ordered through the stealership requiring a $1000 deposit. Similarly in the Raleigh-Durham area of the state.

We drove a Polestar2 last weekend, several available on the lot, with a purchasing process much like Tesla’s: web ordering, one price, no markup, no discount (though there actually are some), and decent availability. Beautiful vehicle in our opinion but a couple of things we didn’t like so still looking.

Thanks
Little empirical knowledge since these are relatively new to the market. We HOPE the manufacturers have learned a lot of lessons about battery chemistry and conditioning from a decade of Nissan LEAFs and Teslas in the wild and their much-reported weaknesses and strengths. Add to that some Bolt experience as well. Also, both the Ioniq5 and Polestar2 start out with ranges in the mid-200’s, not over 300.