Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Companies with dynamic CEOs can channel the best and worst of the CEO. It happened with Microsoft when Bill Gates was in charge, it happened at Apple with Steve Jobs, and Tesla channels Elon Musk. Elon lurches from crisis to crisis. If he declares something a crisis, he focuses 150% of his attention to it until the problem is fixed. That happened with production hell on both the Model X and the Model 3 and it's happened with other problems.

Service is out of sight and out of mind for the most part and it languishes with too little resources. Spare parts is another related and also screwed up problem. The service center network has not changed much since I bought my Model S three years ago. Ranger service has gotten better, but they can only address some problems. The Portland, OR service center is the only one between Seattle and Sacramento N-S and the nearest one to the east is in Salt lake City. It probably supports over 10,000 cars now.

Communication has also gotten terrible. I have been writing someone at the Portland service center for over a year to help troubleshoot a software bug with mirror folding. When the car quit turning off after charging, ranger service came out, got nowhere, and told me I had to take it in. I made an appointment, but wrote an e-mail to my contact in the Portland SC detailing the problem and my speculation on what it might be. The next day the car shut itself off after charging for the first time in a month. I wrote asking if they had done something, but never got a response to any of the e-mails. I ended up canceling the appointment because it either became intermittent or they fixed it, but I'm not wasting a chunk of my week for a probably pointless trip to the SC.

I'm paranoid about getting in an accident. One fender bender and I won't see my car for six months.

Companies with dynamic CEOs can channel the best and worst of the CEO. It happened with Microsoft when Bill Gates was in charge, it happened at Apple with Steve Jobs, and Tesla channels Elon Musk. Elon lurches from crisis to crisis. If he declares something a crisis, he focuses 150% of his attention to it until the problem is fixed. That happened with production hell on both the Model X and the Model 3 and it's happened with other problems.

Service is out of sight and out of mind for the most part and it languishes with too little resources. Spare parts is another related and also screwed up problem. The service center network has not changed much since I bought my Model S three years ago. Ranger service has gotten better, but they can only address some problems. The Portland, OR service center is the only one between Seattle and Sacramento N-S and the nearest one to the east is in Salt lake City. It probably supports over 10,000 cars now.

Communication has also gotten terrible. I have been writing someone at the Portland service center for over a year to help troubleshoot a software bug with mirror folding. When the car quit turning off after charging, ranger service came out, got nowhere, and told me I had to take it in. I made an appointment, but wrote an e-mail to my contact in the Portland SC detailing the problem and my speculation on what it might be. The next day the car shut itself off after charging for the first time in a month. I wrote asking if they had done something, but never got a response to any of the e-mails. I ended up canceling the appointment because it either became intermittent or they fixed it, but I'm not wasting a chunk of my week for a probably pointless trip to the SC.

I'm paranoid about getting in an accident. One fender bender and I won't see my car for six months.
Well, in Elon's head he already delivered the 1 million mile drive train and solved the production hell, so any cars which appear to need service before they hit a million miles on the odometer are just noise to be ignored - an anomaly from a tiny percentage of owners.

Everything makes the current experience bad. The people, by and large, are still good. They are doing the best with what they have.
We are going on two days with no access to a loaner car (despite being put on “the list” each day). Our model X has not even been diagnosed yet after the power steering went out Sunday. .
I'm curious what they determine is wrong with your power steering.

I just got back my 2018 Model S for the same thing. After it sat, untouched, for nine days at the SC, they said it was "rodent damage" and not covered under warranty. This baffled me as it is my daily driver, is washed meticulously every week (for car shows), and is garage kept (and we definitely do not have any rodents in my garage!) To top it off, this was at least the 7th time it was in the SC, they didn't have a loaner for me, and they almost let my battery die (it was well below 20% on day 6).

I apologize for the rant.... I could go on and on... :( The sad thing is I believe in the mission and love the car, but not sure how much more I can take.

Not being able to speak or correspond with a human at the local SC is what makes the current service experience so bad.

I'm probably in the minority here, but being a millennial I prefer doing everything via an app instead of email or talking to some middleman secretary that doesn't know how a computer works to schedule my appointment. "Let me check the schedule" while you hear papers rustle and an "ummm" is now replaced with "first available appointment" button. So Much easier in my opinion. I click a button and go on my way and text my issues later, if needed.

Coming from GM and Kia cars, spending time in those service centers was a time suck and waste of my life and talking with those people hurt my brain. The way Tesla does it helps me focus on things other than my car and what's wrong with it except for when I really need to with someone who knows what they're talking about and can do something about it.

Not being able to speak or correspond with a human at the local SC is what makes the current service experience so bad.
This is the BANE of Tesla. Its the most aggravating and frustrating thing about these cars. What makes it worse, is seeing a bunch of techs sitting around a table in the middle of the service center, when at least one of them could answer a damn phone.

I'm curious what they determine is wrong with your power steering.

I just got back my 2018 Model S for the same thing. After it sat, untouched, for nine days at the SC, they said it was "rodent damage" and not covered under warranty. This baffled me as it is my daily driver, is washed meticulously every week (for car shows), and is garage kept (and we definitely do not have any rodents in my garage!) To top it off, this was at least the 7th time it was in the SC, they didn't have a loaner for me, and they almost let my battery die (it was well below 20% on day 6).

I apologize for the rant.... I could go on and on... :( The sad thing is I believe in the mission and love the car, but not sure how much more I can take.

They lied. Tesla doesn’t want to fix warrant problems anymore. It’s costing too much and they never expected to burn this much on service when the car “never needs service”. I’ve heard from a couple other forum members that this problem is the lower steering column shaft that needs to be replaced. We’ll see if they ever look at my car. Given that it’s sitting outside at the service center it may get rodent damaged in time.

But the App cannot get you hard to get parts. Leaving you to have a brick for months while you pay for the car. And all to show for is Uber credits.

Parts shortages is not a "Service Center Quality" issue. It's a Tesla main headquarters issue and really a separate topic.

It does affect perceived quality of service centers but lets not blame the Service Centers for that.

Also I know there have been severe parts shortages to body shop repairs, but I was not aware of that bad an issue normal mechanical, electrical, electronics parts shortages.

Parts shortages is not a "Service Center Quality" issue. It's a Tesla main headquarters issue and really a separate topic.

It does affect perceived quality of service centers but lets not blame the Service Centers for that.

Also I know there have been severe parts shortages to body shop repairs, but I was not aware of that bad an issue normal mechanical, electrical, electronics parts shortages.

I think eventually it will leak that it’s not a parts shortage issue, but an intentional attempt to delay and avoid warranty claims. The fact that I’ve watched a service rep “order parts” twice and then find out later they never showed up makes me real suspicious. I’m not a Tesla short, we own stock from 2013, but I don’t trust their cash flow situation. All of these service scenarios point to a company that can’t afford to be fixing thousands of cars every day across the world, and literally doesn’t have cash on hand to be giving away parts that aren’t going into new cars to be sold.

And my post about going to emergency roadside assistance route works as a work around to get you to just about any service center. And as I said, they have access to all SCs so they can schedule you for service.

That’s fine if you like the App to book a service appointment. When the button works it shouldn’t be an issue. Then again app stability

I hope they don’t close the roadside assistance loophole

So i replaced my battery in my key fob, and it bricked the key fob.

Other cars have a way to re-sync the fob to your car. My MS does not, had to get a mobile tech to come out in 2 weeks just to do that one thing.

When will they fix this in software so we can do it thru the screen or what ever.?

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Tesla service is a nightmare. When you call TESLA service they will never answer or return voice messages but when you call sales they answer the phone I’m a heartbeat. They are very very fast to suck up a sale but very very poor to service after the sale. Just imagine when you’re out of warranty, they will start sucking up your money. ELON WTF?