Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm at it... We also bought a model X, and during the purchase asked about the referral plan. We were told by our sales "advocate" we could self refer since we had already bought a model S, so would receive an Elon wall charger. We never received it, and our "advocate" won't return calls or emails. The rewards center said the offer had expired and that we should've been on some list. The freebie's not such a big deal, as is the unnecessary lie by the salesman, and the indifferent response from Tesla. I love driving these cars, but am concerned about the indifference, and distrust that I have experienced and read in the previouse letters.

Here's a Mercedes story that happened today.

I got a notice in the mail that a car I leased between 2014 and 2017 had driven in a carpool lane, and that I was being fined. I had to get proof from Mercedes that I did not still lease the car.

I called my dealer, I was transferred to MB Financial. I held for a couple minutes, and eventually spoke to someone. That person emailed me documentation that I had returned the vehicle. They waited on the line while I checked my email.

That whole call took 9 minutes and 37 seconds.

I got a notice in the mail that a car I leased between 2014 and 2017 had driven in a carpool lane, and that I was being fined. I had to get proof from Mercedes that I did not still lease the car.

I called my dealer, I was transferred to MB Financial. I held for a couple minutes, and eventually spoke to someone. That person emailed me documentation that I had returned the vehicle. They waited on the line while I checked my email.

That’s why you always file a release of liability with the DMV the day you get rid of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
Consumers Reports just gave Tesla 1st place in Owner Satisfaction, above even Porsche. I have no doubt some people here have had service issues, but lets keep it in perspective. The same could be said of other brands too on occasion. Some SCs are better than others. I have had only good experiences with the local SC.

Owner satisfaction=/=good customer service.

Reactions: KyleDay and dethman
I've started to have the same experience of indifferent service. After bringing my Model S in for the yellow screen perimeter that has become common, (our loaner had the same yellow screen), a text was sent saying if I had any questions to text back or call. The SC had the car for two days so I tried to contact them both ways, to no avail. I continued to try contacting them, but finally went in again on the 5th day to get an answer/update. In person they were apologetic, and said they were overwhelmed! Also told that the person who took our car when we brought it in had been out for a few days, and no one else had been assigned... Our car was still in the waiting line after five days! We had to come back again the following day to get our car.

Part of our beginning concern was a text from the loaner agency that warned of a $100/day charge if not returned in time. I originally wondered if the SC might have forgotten to contact us which could lead to rental charges?

I must add that to the credit of the employees when spoken to in person respond by trying to be helpful, and went on to fix other small items. Just shouldn't have to drive a half hour each way to get an update!

Are they replacing yellow borders again now?

They used ultra violet to fix the screen, not a replacement? Also the car is only a couple of years old, so under warranty, yet the repair statement said it was a one time curtesy. When I asked what that really meant I was told it was just poorly worded with the assumption it would still be covered?

For me Mobile service techs have been MUCH better than going into the Costa Mesa SC (which I dread). Each time I bring my car into the SC for something, they scratch/damage the interior of the vehicle. The mobile techs admitted that they do a lot of repairs to fix damage from the SC. Unfortunately, my vehicle is at the SC right now to fix an intermittent LTE issue. The only ray of light is that my car is getting HW 3 upgrade while its there (I paid for FSD during the brief discount period). So far the car is been there for a week, and no update on the real progress - they are texting me, but nothing meaningful. Meanwhile my charge has dwindled down to 50 miles (I never let it get this low). I requested that they charge it when it is eventually ready (last time they said that they don't charge anymore) … we'll see when it is finally done. I did get a loaner (no EAP of course so no TACC which is a requirement for driving in So Cal traffic) … but I guess beggars can't be choosers in this current environment.

Like others the whole service experience with Tesla has been terrible for a $100K car … I've had Aucra/Audi/BMWs in the past and never had service problems. Heck, I had a Volt for 1.5 years to dip my toe into EVs and the service at Chevy as compared to Tesla was as if I was at a luxury vehicle dealer (aka Aston Martin, RR, etc)! Tesla is in the dark ages of service … directing more people to the app and not answering or deflecting calls is not the solution. Rivian should be studying this closely to not repeat Tesal's mistakes!!! I don't plan on buying another Tesla.

costa mesa is the worst - try buena park they are a little better. Costa mesa I waited once 2.5 hrs just to get the loaner once the car was turned in already - it almost sounds crazy but it is really true and there were a bunch of us waiting.

I guess they fixed that = UBER. heh! I def dread getting anything serviced. But overall buena park has done better for me than costa mesa.

I have been reading threads like this for almost a year since I bought my Used MS from Tesla.

One ranger visit, no major problems but the experience was only fair.

One SC visit, and it was superb. First thing the SC rep said was, "Don't worry, we will take good care of your baby". And they did!

I know this is not true for many, but I believe visiting a SC first before you have service is helpful. For Socal residents, I visited 4 SC's before I chose the one in Santa Barbara. For me, far away, but well worth the drive.
You sound like the lucky Hyundai owner back in the 90's, saying how they got their brand new car cheap, and drove it 100,000 miles with just service, while a large percentage of new Hyundai's spend more time in the shop than on the road. There is a problem, and it's getting worse. Tesla used to have amazing service, before Model 3's shipped - turns out the amazing service doesn't scale.

If you are implying this info is anecdotal, yes it is. So is a lot of the negative experience reported on forums like this. How many owners post positive experiences vs negative rants?

If we all agree that service is a systemic problem and not an isolated one, and that everyone who needs service is exposed to the systemic deficiency, it is logical to assume and statistically likely that we, the motivated people posting on a form, cannot be the only ones experiencing the problem of poor CS.

Reactions: PhilDavid
2013 Model S owner here with numerous SC and range repairs in the past 6 years. Very positive experience in year 13-18. Recent visit shows a huge deterioration in service experience.

From my perspective, SC's high cost to Tesla is self inflicted. Model 3 scaled up shipped cars with defects (almost everyone reported paint+panel/trim fit issues). Model S still have design issues from inexperienced design team on most matured car subsystems. These get dumped on SC. HQ captures quarterly revenue and SC's cost escalates. HQ mandates cost control rules rapidly to SC creating lots of problems in customer experience and thats where we are..

On Model S, we saw design issues from lacking design experience that showed up after warranty period. Other than battery, software, and EV drive train, problems show in-experienced design everywhere else. HQ/SC kept positive customer feedback with lots of goodwills on these. As Model 3s gets out of warranty and some of these pop up. Either SC cost or customer dissatisfaction will increase and probably both. The obvious solution is to correct design and manufacturing defects up stream. Something that is unlikely to be solved as they continue to scale production for revenue to keep the company moving forward. With another factory coming online in China, seems very unlikely upstream production issues will get better. Tesla seems to be in a rock and a hard place. Slowing down will improve quality but probably can't sustain the company.

I am glad i found this thread. Since 2015 I owned my Model S and like other owners I used to support the this company. Until i started to have issues with the car. I noticed back in 2016 and 2017 Service was not able to maintain the line of work was given to them. I thought things will get better it just need a little time for a company that is starting up. How naive I was as things snowballed and it have gotten so bad with their service. Unable to fix an issue with service visit or missed the items for repair out of your list. Those are just few over the years i bear with Tesla. My most recent experience with Tesla is expenses from the coverage of warranty it is still not reimbursed over the course of 4 months. It is just for the rental car expense when my Model S was in the service center being repaired due to a faulty part. I have followed up with multiple attempts and i still do not have a reply. The last time i spoke to them it was by luck i got connected by phone and i found out they didn't take any actions on it. That was 2 months after i filed it with a service representative in person. He went as far as telling me to email him with his work email to keep me in the loop. Every email i sent to him it goes into a blackhole.

As long you don't have to service or repair your car everything is heaven. We were going to purchase Tesla Model X few years back but we were wary of the service. We were right not continue to purchase another Tesla due to the lack of service. Does any one in the forum know how to get to Tesla Corporate with my concerns of reimbursement? Sorry to vent on my issue. Much Thanks

I’ve only had one issue with my May 2018 build MS: replace both headlight assembles after eyebrows yellowed. Tesla quickly set an appointment at my home. Mobile service showed up on time and quickly/efficiently made the repair. I’m confident the “absolute worst service organization “ would not have provided the service I received.

I have been reading threads like this for almost a year since I bought my Used MS from Tesla.

One ranger visit, no major problems but the experience was only fair.

One SC visit, and it was superb. First thing the SC rep said was, "Don't worry, we will take good care of your baby". And they did!

I know this is not true for many, but I believe visiting a SC first before you have service is helpful. For Socal residents, I visited 4 SC's before I chose the one in Santa Barbara. For me, far away, but well worth the drive.

Hehe, I dare you to buy a Model 3, then you’ll see what everyone is on about.

The S is a largely-normal car, with Tesla’s electric powertrain but otherwise with a bunch of conventional off-the-shelf components that work. With the Model 3 Tesla set off to reinvent the wheel every chance they had, with a lot of components designed and developed in-house, which are proving to be a bit crap now that they’ve been in the field for a while. You can’t extrapolate your service experience to the Model 3.

Similar thing happened to us, we got a tax bill for a car that we no longer lease. Took a grand total of 5-10 mins on the phone with Audi Financial to get it straightened out.

This is what normality looks like and Tesla should not be given a pass for their endemic clusterf across all customer-facing ops.

• Informative
Similar thing happened to us, we got a tax bill for a car that we no longer lease. Took a grand total of 5-10 mins on the phone with Audi Financial to get it straightened out.

This is what normality looks like and Tesla should not be given a pass for their endemic clusterf across all customer-facing ops.

According to Tesla fanboys and apologists, the Tesla App will take care of that. Hehehe.

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid

That’s like when Audi damaged my wheel in tire storage, only took a call and they booked me straight into wheel repair at a reputable firm. They handled everything for me but I wasn’t satisfied with the result so they instantly ordered a new one. Whole thing took 2 weeks including shipping time and they were very apologetic and handed me some chocolate.

When Tesla scratched my door I gave up after 4-5 weeks of “this guy will call you back” (but no one did) or “we are waiting for ok from HQ” but nothing more. After 4 weeks they called to ask where the scratch was and asked me for pictures as they had misplaced the ones they took themselves... No apologies and nothing done.

Ended up paying myself for my detailer to fix it up, wasn’t perfect but I didn’t want a repaint anyway. That was back when you could get people on the phone, can’t imagine how annoying it would be today.

• Informative
That’s like when Audi damaged my wheel in tire storage, only took a call and they booked me straight into wheel repair at a reputable firm. They handled everything for me but I wasn’t satisfied with the result so they instantly ordered a new one. Whole thing took 2 weeks including shipping time and they were very apologetic and handed me some chocolate.

When Tesla scratched my door I gave up after 4-5 weeks of “this guy will call you back” (but no one did) or “we are waiting for ok from HQ” but nothing more. After 4 weeks they called to ask where the scratch was and asked me for pictures as they had misplaced the ones they took themselves... No apologies and nothing done.

Ended up paying myself for my detailer to fix it up, wasn’t perfect but I didn’t want a repaint anyway. That was back when you could get people on the phone, can’t imagine how annoying it would be today.

Hehe, sounds like they were at least pretending.

I was asked, in a gentle fashion, if I was too thick to understand that they just won’t fix the scratches they left on my car.