Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hehe, sounds like they were at least pretending.

I was asked, in a gentle fashion, if I was too thick to understand that they just won’t fix the scratches they left on my car.

They actually came back to me after like 6 weeks and wanted to book an appointment for the body shop to have it repainted, the one thing I told them was out of the question from the start...

Tesla service feels like a mystery to me, they have really good things going for them but sometimes you wonder if they took a customer service course from a robot.

If you are implying this info is anecdotal, yes it is. So is a lot of the negative experience reported on forums like this. How many owners post positive experiences vs negative rants?

Trying to not honor warranty service for defective yellow displays is not anecdotal.

Forcing customers to go through arbitration to get warranty defects fixed is not anecdotal.

Not being able to speak with a human at a service center is not anecdotal.

Being unable to get a response from a service center is not anecdotal.

Customers still waiting weeks to get parts for repairs is not anecdotal.

Body shop repairs still taking months is not anecdotal.

Yeah, it's all anecdotal until it happens to you.

The only thing I find anecdotal are the few apologists who defend poor service.

IMHO Tesla's future success depends on them treating customers fairly and service is a big part of that. The way they are handling the defective yellow screens is just awful. Customers should never have to worry if their warranty will be honored for things like defective displays. The people who point this out do so because they care and want Tesla to succeed. It is far easier to be a blind follower and supporter and make excuses for everything.

This is why it is scary. Service centers were thought that way. Once warranty expires on the car, we will be force to take it to them because they control the system in our car. The government should chime in to release the car completely to owners including unlocking the computer system on the car once warranty is over. Otherwise this will be a hostage situation.

So, I've had my Model S for just shy of 7 years now and I've seen quite a change in Tesla service. When I first got my car, they where top notch. Over the years however, I've noticed the service level go down, down, down to the point where it's just crap.

Yeah, I've had Teslas for seven years, too. I've had two Model Ss and my wifey just got her Model 3, which she loves. We don't have much trouble with service, because to be honest, there is no service. OK, you have inverters that quit and need them to be replaced. Since I doubt your SC keeps inverters laying around, you might have to wait a few days before they can get them in, but putting in the inverters is easy. I had one inverter go out a few months after I got my first S. The SC didn't have one, so I had to wait, but at least they gave me a burner for a loaner.

Times have changed. My new SC is busier than a gas car dealership. After 185,000 miles (cumulative over 3 cars) my MCU (large center screen) quit downloading maps, a connectivity issue. I took it in yesterday, and they found that instead of a connectivity board, I needed the whole computer. Before the work was started, I was contacted by text and I approved the work as I drove home in their 75D. When I got there today, my car was perfect, only better, as the new MCU displays a sharper picture. I will, however, have to reconnect my phone and wifi. Bummer! And they told me it would cost $2700 for the MCU, and it was only $2300. Was I upset to find that after 93,000 miles, it was no longer under warranty!!! But the service fellow was informative and helpful, just like always.

I have found that some SCs are better than others. I recommend that you look around, but with only one or two visits in seven years, that might take a while.

Reactions: P100D_Me
And..... I want to add that when I first contacted my service center, I called in to "sales" and asked to be sent to
"service", which they did. I talked with maybe four people on the phone at different times, all helpful, kind, supportive, and willing to set up a time to come in -- which was in two days. They had to get the part.

I'm not an "apologist" trying to defend poor service. I have always had great service. No apology necessary.

At least we got a whole car, working or not.

Did you see the Reddit post of a guy got his m3 delivered to his front door? Tesla mailed him his car! Except he got only his car's fender.

4dixc0f2bqo31.jpg

Last edited:
I tried to call for service and get a voicemail box that is full at the Denver service center. The message says check online. Online it says go to the app. My app allows scheduling an appointment for my Model 3, but that feature is missing for my Model S.

There is no one available to speak to. Even their chat function has disappeared. This has got to be some cruel joke.

#TeslaDumpsterFire

I tried to call for service and get a voicemail box that is full at the Denver service center. The message says check online. Online it says go to the app. My app allows scheduling an appointment for my Model 3, but that feature is missing for my Model S.

There is no one available to speak to. Even their chat function has disappeared. This has got to be some cruel joke.

#TeslaDumpsterFire

call mobile service. If you don’t know your local number, try the Bay Area one.
Most of the time they pickup and can schedule appointments.
(510) 898-2442

They lied. Tesla doesn’t want to fix warrant problems anymore. It’s costing too much and they never expected to burn this much on service when the car “never needs service”. I’ve heard from a couple other forum members that this problem is the lower steering column shaft that needs to be replaced. We’ll see if they ever look at my car. Given that it’s sitting outside at the service center it may get rodent damaged in time.

The biggest lie ever from Tesla, and they have quite a few, Lol.

Reactions: dethman and am_dmd
I want to be fair here. See my posts as I’ve trailed against service and then gone and worked at and quit TESLA after 1.5 years.

I pulled service from Fremont to Sunnyvale for my S. It’s been great. Just as my car was broken into Tesla started replacing windows again. Then my onboard charger died and that was fixed in days. My DU, that took about 3 weeks to come in. I got a loaner for the multiple day DU and Uber for the same day services.

no communications aren’t great but I did get text updates a few times a day.

we keep our X for now associated with the Fremont SC and they have fixed; loose trunk lift, installed trailer hitch, driver door triangle noise fix, cracked windshield ($1500), front wheel well and radar sensor repair ($350, my wife ran over “something”). New remotes etc...

something is getting better especially when you just walk in and talk nicely. Just one guys experience but it’s recent as of 9/2019

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Tesla servie offerings have gone mobile, meaning you using their mobile app for more and more with each release. The old ways of calling a service center seems to be going away. While this is not what you expected since the early days of your Model S, this is the new way as their vehicles are now approaching 1 million +. With a fleet that large, they are looking at new ways of providing support (ie, requesting other SC and mobile service through the app, getting tire rotation at home, getting glass replacement at the SC, etc...).

I guess the difference here, is that they are gearing up for the next generation of ownership where using technology to simplify requesting service through their mobile app is becoming more common. While it's not what you would expect, it feel like it's going in that direction more and more. Some are proud to see new ways of improving service, while others see it as a hassle an want the old dealership ways.

I guess it's really in the eye of the beholder.

Note: Leaving emails and if you can leave a VOICEMAIL won't get you a response, however from my experience once you book your appointment through the app, you'll get a text message shortly thereafter, along with a call if they have any details questions for you before your actual service appointment.

requesting service and actually GETTING service are two different things. THE SERVICE SUCKS
1. Require a test drive with a technician
2.technician denies the sound/fault/problem
3."service" manager denies service
4 wash rinse repeat

Oh but if you are out of warranty then they charge you $75 for a "DIagnostic" test drive and then take your car for a week

Consumers Reports just gave Tesla 1st place in Owner Satisfaction, above even Porsche. I have no doubt some people here have had service issues, but lets keep it in perspective. The same could be said of other brands too on occasion. Some SCs are better than others. I have had only good experiences with the local SC.

Customer service is part of customer satisfaction, but very few car owners spend more time dealing with customer service than they do driving their car. Tesla's customer service had gotten awful, but the cars are still the best ever created.

Customer service is part of customer satisfaction, but very few car owners spend more time dealing with customer service than they do driving their car. Tesla's customer service had gotten awful, but the cars are still the best ever created.
Correct. It’s the user experience which encompasses both service and the car. Service is hit or miss while the car is awesome.

Reactions: DCEV
This isn't Tesla or brand specific (Tesla's not even mentioned it), but I hadn't realized the turnover was so high with service advisors and that there is a shortage of auto technicians.
At 3:43, they claim the SA turnover rate was 43% (!) in 2021. For technicians and service managers, it was 29%.

Reactions: aerodyne