Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla working on a Sentry/dashcam viewer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On twitter recently someone asked about the app alerting you every time Sentry alerts and sending the video feeds to the phone- Elon suggested maybe a still pic could be send, but live video would simply eat too much bandwidth.... sadly nothing came up about the more obvious "view footage in the car" option

I mean... they already HAVE a USB file browser. It's how you browse music on the USB key.

They already have a local video player too.

So yeah in this case it really would be very simple to just browse and view individual videos.

The experience would be fairly crap though.

Offering an app that shows multiples at once as some 3rd party apps do would be more useful.... more useful still if it were smart enough to jump to the triggering file... THAT would require some actual work. Still not a ton, but a lot more than the first case.

Funny how every-body that talks about adding a feature to the car always describe it as relatively simple. Of course, they are not the ones working at Tesla and rewriting the code to add the feature. Every-body is an expert on how easy it would be, - including probably a few that really know what they are talking about.

I agree with you on this as i am an SW engineer and work for a big company. Any changes that are made, needs to be defined in the requirements and validated. It can break a lot of things, and it takes time to develop, design and validate. People who think its easy, as you said don't have a clue as to what it takes to develop and produce. I get a little annoyed for those that are not engineers who think that they can just put a video player on the screen. What they dont get it is the time and effort for overall design and efficiency in mind. How much power will it draw? how much resources will it use? etc. Many different H/W configurations, etc. I agree with elon, a snap shot is fine for notifications, and an overall robust design of a onscreen video player would be doable, but needs to be designed well.

Funny how every-body that talks about adding a feature to the car always describe it as relatively simple. Of course, they are not the ones working at Tesla and rewriting the code to add the feature. Every-body is an expert on how easy it would be, - including probably a few that really know what they are talking about.

I develop video editing software for a living, so I know what I'm talking about. (VideoReDo, check it out if you need to quickly edit videos without recoding)

That being said "easy" is relative. They obviously have all the bits in their development platform to play video and create a nice app with UI. The amount of effort required to do something like that from scratch is a lot. It's not "hard", but it's a lot of work. I've been working on an app (for something else) in my free time for several months and I'm still not done. Things I think will be easy end up taking considerably more time then I think. Then again I'm one guy, working a real job and doing it on the side, and Tesla is a billion dollar company. So you'd think they'd have a bit more resources to throw at the issue.

The car already creates the triggering events in a separate directory - or, perhaps, I did not understand the point.
Roadie seems to be a good way to go as a native solution is not available with the features of the Roadie.

The car already creates the triggering events in a separate directory - or, perhaps, I did not understand the point.
The point of what?

If the point of being able to quickly and easily see the Sentry footage, this would be HUGE. If I can check my Sentry footage each time I get back to my car and see that there was an event, if gives me the peace of mind of knowing there was nothing to worry about. I can't practically check the footage when I get home from a drive with multiple stops and by then it is too late.

To me, the only way the Sentry footage is valuable to me in absence of obvious damage is if it is quickly and easily review-able. IMO, this should be something I should be able to do natively on the display with a couple of taps. Until that happens, the Roadie (to me) seems like the best solution.

is that just a rasp pi zero? there is already open source software for that, btw
It is based on it he has other other SW (or some such element) to make it accessible remotely. But you have to have a reasonable amount if intelligence to put it together (even w/o the remote access) and I just don't have that.

(Actually, it's mainly about the time: THAT I don't have.)

clubs: former member of Radio Shack Battery Club
BWAH HA HA HA HA

Having dash cams in all my vehicles, one of the features I looked for was how easy it is to download video to a phone to show a LEO or to send to anyone I wish. Taking a storage device out of the car and having to use a computer to view/send it is not acceptable to me. For that reason, I have a Roadie for the M3. Love how it works.

Reactions: Roadie and SDRick
I agree with you on this as i am an SW engineer and work for a big company. Any changes that are made, needs to be defined in the requirements and validated. It can break a lot of things, and it takes time to develop, design and validate. People who think its easy, as you said don't have a clue as to what it takes to develop and produce. I get a little annoyed for those that are not engineers who think that they can just put a video player on the screen. What they dont get it is the time and effort for overall design and efficiency in mind. How much power will it draw? how much resources will it use? etc. Many different H/W configurations, etc. I agree with elon, a snap shot is fine for notifications, and an overall robust design of a onscreen video player would be doable, but needs to be designed well.

As somebody who builds furniture for a living I can’t count the number of times customers have used the word “just” followed by a request that would require a full redesign/rebuild. As a result I have dropped that word from my vocabulary when asking for something other people/companies.