Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is that a TESLA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From LotusTalk: How often do you get the "Is that a TESLA?"

NotTesla.jpg

It's amazing how many we're asked that question while filling up t gas stations....

Don't think this one likes Tesla's image much:

Was having lunch at Oakbrook Mall outside Chicago. They just opened a Tesla 'showroom' in the mall. Yes, in the mall. In what used to be the old Kenneth Cole store.

I chatted with the reps there. The 'reps' are twenty something hipsters wearing skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors with Tesla polos.

The 'showroom' had a yellow roadster and a chassis of an S. That's it. According to them, the roadster is one the 4 remaining unsold ones in the world. It's a euro spec one and can't be sold legally in the US - all for show.

About 60 percent of the questions I get are, is it a Lotus?

25 percent are Is it all electric (I have a cool "electric" sticker on the rear taillight) to promote conversation.

The rest are what is it? or Ferrari?...

Last edited:

Probably a bit more than this. There's also a live and let live sentiment, but with Fisker, Tesla seems to get tarred with their brush, and with Lotus, they're likely losing a cool factor to Tesla. So there's a little negativity there as well.

On re-read, I don't think I explained that properly, but I'll give myself a pass due to lack of sleep :D

Wow. A lot of anger and aggression over there against Tesla. Very strange.
I read the whole thread over there. A (very) few folks seemed upset. Most seemed just amused. Such as:

I got asked if it was a Tesla about a year ago while getting gas. I was literally holding onto the pump handle. I was as polite as I could be and explained it was not, that a Tesla is an electric car and wouldn't need gas...

I've been asked if my Roadster was a Lotus. One young guy asked if it was a Maserati. Later I looked up Maserati on the web and couldn't find anything that looked remotely like my car. But a surprising number of people know what it is. The most common question I get is "What is that?" and the next most common is "Is that a Tesla?"