Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is that correct painting work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of the Mod3 (White SR). I get delivery on August 4. When I order my car, I knew that it may have a finishing issue (paint, alignment, etc.) I am generally super happy about the car but I have noted that quite. a lot of QC issue.

Before going with the hard road and call Tesla to make them resolve. I wanted to have your point of view on those issues before. As a Tesla owner, you can give me an objective view of this.

Most of my concern relates to the back of the car :

The rear bumper is not completely painted - You can clearly see that the white peal coating was put on top of a white bumper. It seems to be the same issue for the whole car. I am not sure if you have the same issue with other colors. I would be surprised that black car is just a black layer on top of the white car :).

On the trunk, the area close to the license plate is a bit messy. It looks like they putt a lot of gorilla silicone to fix everything together. Does not sound right.

Thanks, and please do let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

B

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7642.jpeg
    IMG_7642.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 95
Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of the Mod3 (White SR). I get delivery on August 4. When I order my car, I knew that it may have a finishing issue (paint, alignment, etc.) I am generally super happy about the car but I have noted that quite. a lot of QC issue.

Before going with the hard road and call Tesla to make them resolve. I wanted to have your point of view on those issues before. As a Tesla owner, you can give me an objective view of this.

The rear bumper is not completely painted - You can clearly see that the white peal coating was put on top of a white bumper. It seems to be the same issue for the whole car. I am not sure if you have the same issue with other colors. I would be surprised that black car is just a black layer on top of the white car :).

On the trunk, the area close to the license plate is a bit messy. It looks like they putt a lot of gorilla silicone to fix everything together. Does not sound right.

Regards

B
Yeah not that great it seems like the quality control is not consistent. I have a gap below the left rear taillight showing clips on the left bumper as well.

Can you check and see if you have the same? Post picture if possible

It's not been a hard road for me to get these and other issues addressed, but best to have low expectations.
Critically important is to document and set an appointment sooner rather than later. What you'll have to consider regarding paint is anything requiring more than touch-up or a polish will require a re-spray by a local shop and you'll have to hope that job is done well. Again, not looking to let Tesla just "get away" with anything and everything, bust just be mindful that some repairs may cause more time of yours to be taken up than perhaps worth.

Thanks for those responses.

I am wondering what is the painting process? I have the feeling that my car was pure white and they just put on top an ivory-ish color... So, you can clearly see the difference. Is that the right process? As mentioned in my previous example. What about someone having a red m3?

I am wondering what is the painting process? I have the feeling that my car was pure white and they just put on top an ivory-ish color... So, you can clearly see the difference. Is that the right process? As mentioned in my previous example. What about someone having a red m3?
That's the right process. It's 4 coats: primer, base color, pearlescent, clear. Red is the same way.

Thanks Daniel.

And what about the silicone stuff? Does that look correct?

thanks

Bastien

Mine looks that way too (including the cracking). Pretty sure all Model 3s look the same way - it is by design. Not sure what the filler is or why it's done that way, but in any case it's completely invisible from view. As long as it holds up over time, it's not an issue.

Thanks, Alan/Daniel. Your last comment is my concern... " as long as..." I love this car but when I see some of the finishing issues. I am sometimes worried about what you cannot see.

I will book an appointment and check what they think. It does not cost me anything if I am right.

I will book an appointment and check what they think. It does not cost me anything if I am right.

Personally I think you are exposing your vehicle to risk unless you stand there next to your car for them to check it out. I don't think they will do anything about it. If you'd like at some point I could post pictures of the identical thing on my car - might also post from my Chevy Spark and Toyota Highlander. You are not the first to comment on this "feature." It is completely normal AFAIK.

I am not familiar with the process but it was my intention

I mean, if that's your plan, make an appointment and then do that, it seems fine. As long as you have the free time available. But I am fairly sure they will do nothing for that specific issue. There really is nothing to be done...it is normal...and painting it over or trying to address it would very likely result in a worse long term outcome even if it looks better.

However, I'm not trying to discourage you from going - it is entirely your choice. This is just my thinking on this - to me it seems inconsequential, doesn't appear to be a problem, and there's nothing to be done about it that would help, anyway.

If you do get them to do something, do report back!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Regards

B

"The rear bumper is not completely painted - You can clearly see that the white peal coating was put on top of a white bumper. It seems to be the same issue for the whole car. I am not sure if you have the same issue with other colors. I would be surprised that black car is just a black layer on top of the white car :)."

There is a problem on many white, red etc that the base primer or we can call it base color of the material is showing trough because the paint is too thin to cover it!

I would not accept thin paint and i am taking this further on with lawyers @ Finland ( I have 25 friends with me who has several problems with the paint on model 3 )

List: Tesla Model 3 epänormaalia kulumaa maalipinnassa

Impressed By The Finnish Tesla Model 3 Paint Problems? Hold My Beer

52BED336-4BDF-43A2-B31B-469895DE096B.jpeg 1D692630-780B-41CF-8EBC-AAAFC261CC47.jpeg

Don’t get me started, but my PPF Shop found several issues. I managed to get Tesla Service center to address the concerns as best they could. Unfortunately they couldn’t do any sanding where there were particles in the paint, but they did do additional polishing to fix discolouration and overspray issues. Here are a couple of the 18 photos covering the issues found.

That being said, this was mostly resolved by a couple hours of polishing work. The particles in the paint do make me wonder what could be improved in their process.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
Took a photo of my driver door yesterday as I was inspecting the PPF install (which isn't good imo lol) and noticed a lot of the same issues in pics shared above. Just wanted to share the thin paint/unpainted area of the inside of my driver door.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_acc.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_acc.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 59
These are unfortunately common finish issues with model 3's... They do get a lot worse if it makes you feel better... You can ask them to fix and they will probably fix some and tell you others are within their spec... if you can live with them, i would do that over subjecting the car to their care...

Reactions: Johnii__82