Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is that OK I park the model 3 in a cold carport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking to buy a model 3. But, my house has no garage, only a carport, it means cold in the winter. In my city the coldest weather would be -10 C degree.

Is that ok to park the model 3 in that kind of cold environment? I know Li battery does not like cold temperature, my electrical lawn mower battery died after stay there for 2-3 years.

Thanks in advance!

Will you be able to plug the car in when it's parked there? If so, that will help a lot, since the car will be able to keep its charge up in the cold. I'm not sure how much the Model 3 will try to actively heat its battery in cold weather, since I've only had mind since late March, so I've only had mine in relatively warm months. My previous car was a Chevy Volt, which I parked outside. It definitely drew power in cold weather, I assume to keep the battery warm. In any event, there are people who park their Teslas outside. I've not heard of battery failures as a result of this practice, but it's conceivable that this is because the number who park in the sort of extreme cold you experience in Vancouver is low.

I'm thinking to buy a model 3. But, my house has no garage, only a carport, it means cold in the winter. In my city the coldest weather would be -10 C degree.

Is that ok to park the model 3 in that kind of cold environment? I know Li battery does not like cold temperature, my electrical lawn mower battery died after stay there for 2-3 years.

Thanks in advance!

The car has its own heater for the battery, so you should be fine. There is 8 year warranty on the battery and powertrain, says nothing about "you can't park in the cold".

If there was no heating for the battery, it would fail like your lawn mower battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Runt8
E65B3B43-5C9C-4423-AC9B-1247D65DC795.jpeg
Bottom right of this page from model3 owners manual should give you piece of mind. Colder than -22c for 24 hours is not recommended. If you can plug in during the cold you stated it should be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd

Thanks in advance!
I keep mine in a carport, plugged in. It's fine. I also have an electric mower, and I do not leave that battery outside in Winter. No grass to mow

View attachment 475051 Bottom right of this page from model3 owners manual should give you piece of mind. Colder than -22c for 24 hours is not recommended. If you can plug in during the cold you stated it should be fine.

I wish there was a bot that added this graphic to the first post of every thread in this section.