Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the “Performance” Version Really Worth the Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see the Model Y dropping any further. Especially because the Model 3 has been consistent, if not more, over the last year after the first big drop.

Hopefully you’re right and after a year or two they do a $2k performance boost. Hey my 2k is better than nothing. I am going to be just fine switching to AWD.

Another part of my reasoning for regular AWD is longevity of the inverters and connectors. I am sure they are quite sturdy. But one could argue that the P software upgrade pushes the tolerances of that equipment closer to the max and thus shortens their life.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hopefully you’re right and after a year or two they do a $2k performance boost. Hey my 2k is better than nothing. I am going to be just fine switching to AWD.

Another part of my reasoning for regular AWD is longevity of the inverters and connectors. I am sure they are quite sturdy. But one could argue that the P software upgrade pushes the tolerances of that equipment closer to the max and thus shortens their life.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the Boost right off the bat, unless Elon is treating the Y more of a non-sports car and it’s proprietary to the M3 to set it apart. You want speed, M3. You want room and more fun that a CUV, MY. Soon enough we will find out. I just love the look of the P so we are going to stick with it.

The problem for me (and other NYers) is that the performance upgrade pushes the MSRP of the car over $60k for me, which means the total cost of the upgrade is actually $9500 because my rebate drops from $2k to $1.5k.

Now if I can save $1500 on the car and plow that right back in to a $2000 upgrade...

P3D has a better suspension than the AWD 3. Buddy and I raced around some mountain roads and he had trouble keeping up with me. Then we swapped cars and I had trouble keeping up with him.

The difference in the drive reminds me of a high end 3 BMW vs. a BMW M3. One is very much more of a driver's car.

Except for the damn placement of the A pillar. It's always blocking the view of the left corners. My one complaint about the car.

P3D has a better suspension than the AWD 3. Buddy and I raced around some mountain roads and he had trouble keeping up with me. Then we swapped cars and I had trouble keeping up with him.

The difference in the drive reminds me of a high end 3 BMW vs. a BMW M3. One is very much more of a driver's car.

Except for the damn placement of the A pillar. It's always blocking the view of the left corners. My one complaint about the car.

You know how many people I've almost hit because they were just perfectly aligned with that A pillar?

Too much.

Reactions: Reborn
Can you please provide documentation of this from your car or pictures of the “beefier” motor vs the standard AWD motor? I’ve been looking all over and haven’t found anything. What I’ve found thus far is that there is no physical difference between the P3AWD and 3AWD when it comes to part number, so from my vantage point, until I see documentation of the parts, it’s all software from my perspective.

I would love to be wrong, because then I would keep my performance order. But not if there is zero hardware difference on motors, inverter, cables and connectors.
Performance 3 plus’s do currently use a different part number for the rear motor and it has been documented on this forum. The early Performance 3 cars used the same part number rear motors but Tesla was claimed at that time that they were different. The current build Performance 3+ cars have been documented to actually be using a different rear drive unit and a different part number. Tesla was flashing AWD cars with Performance software at a point to move unsold excess inventory and those were being sold and nicknamed the Steath Performance cars. I have not seen any documentation on exactly what drive unit would be sold today if someone ordered a Performance car without the suspension/brakes/tire/etc upgrade. It seems likely the Y will mirror the 3 in hardware and therefore the rear drive units will be like the Performance 3+. The AWD rear drives do seem to have ability to handle the Performance software at least they were doing it, that doesn’t mean the actual 3+ drives are not different.
I did a quick search and found these two different part numbers, if you Google the part numbers you will find lots of speculation on what they mean.
July 2019 P3D Stealth - 1120980-00-F Drive Unit US Market
May 2019 AWD - 1120990-00-F Drive Unit US Market

Last edited:
Performance 3 plus’s do currently use a different part number for the rear motor and it has been documented on this forum. The early Performance 3 cars used the same part number rear motors but Tesla was claimed at that time that they were different. The current build Performance 3+ cars have been documented to actually be using a different rear drive unit and a different part number. Tesla was flashing AWD cars with Performance software at a point to move unsold excess inventory and those were being sold and nicknamed the Steath Performance cars. I have not seen any documentation on exactly what drive unit would be sold today if someone ordered a Performance car without the suspension/brakes/tire/etc upgrade. It seems likely the Y will mirror the 3 in hardware and therefore the rear drive units will be like the Performance 3+. The AWD rear drives do seem to have ability to handle the Performance software at least they were doing it, that doesn’t mean the actual 3+ drives are not different.
I did a quick search and found these two different part numbers, if you Google the part numbers you will find lots of speculation on what they mean.
July 2019 P3D Stealth - 1120980-00-F Drive Unit US Market
May 2019 AWD - 1120990-00-F Drive Unit US Market

This forum has also confirmed that the parts are the same. By your logic, I read it on the internet (forum) it must be true.....

I don’t think anyone has a 100% validated for sure answer. I am definitely leaning to it being software as the difference between the AWD and PAWD is 188kW vs. 211kW. This could easily be software.

if you read from the EPA’s website, the power rating for the front motor on the AWD is the same as the PAWD, so difference in part numbers would make no sense unless maybe Tesla improved the motor some how and moved it into production on the P prior to the AWD variant. Lots and lots of speculation.

Again, if I’m paying $8k for what sure looks like software and skipping out on the wheels, suspension, pedals and brakes, is that really worth it if I want a sleeper? Nope for me.

Can someone confirm the brake differences between the Standard and Performance cars (assuming they are same as Model 3 Standard & Performance brakes...)

Here's what I gathered but could be wrong:

STANDARD
Front

rotor diameter: 320mm
pistons: 4 pistons
color: grey

Rear
rotor diameter: ??
pistons: 2 pistons?
color: grey
PERFORMANCE
Front
rotor diameter: 355mm
pistons: 6 pistons (or 4????)
color: red

Rear
rotor diameter: ??
pistons: 2 pistons?
color: red

I understand you can use Standard calipers with larger 365mm rotors from MPP for about $1800; however, that doesn't include the larger / 6 piston calipers (?). It seems upgrading the front Standard brakes to aftermarket true big brakes is around $3-5k, plus the cost of rear brake upgrades would land around $6-8k. Based on these assumptions, it seems the $9k additional cost for the Performance upgrade is reasonable as it provides other perks (3.5 sec 0-60mph, spoiler, pedals)

• Love
Reactions: Gordon87
There have been times you could buy the "performance" upgrade w/o the hardware on the 3 for $2k. (2018 and Aug -> Dec 2019). I have no need for the performance but for 2k (and it being in stock) I jumped w/ no hesitation. I do not regret it.

For 8k, with or without the extra hardware, i wouldn't consider it for a second. IMHO its priced for people who really like the looks or people who want a track toy that may also be every day driver.

With the hardware 8k seems reasonable (just not to me).
FYI The upgrade pushes them to the midway point between dual motor and performance.

FYI The upgrade pushes them to the midway point between dual motor and performance.

For a time in 2018, and Aug - Dec '19 you could buy a performance 3 w/o the hardware bits for 2k over the cost of a LR Dual motor.

Full performance acceleration, w/ Track mode, Underline badge and underline on info screen.

This is different than the $2k boost they offer now.

Reactions: Nocturnal
For a time in 2018, and Aug - Dec '19 you could buy a performance 3 w/o the hardware bits for 2k over the cost of a LR Dual motor.

Full performance acceleration, w/ Track mode, Underline badge and underline on info screen.

This is different than the $2k boost they offer now.
Ah, you mean the "stealth" cars etc. Gotcha, I thought you were addressing the OTA upgrade. My buddy got one. Heck of a deal.

This forum has also confirmed that the parts are the same. By your logic, I read it on the internet (forum) it must be true.....

I don’t think anyone has a 100% validated for sure answer. I am definitely leaning to it being software as the difference between the AWD and PAWD is 188kW vs. 211kW. This could easily be software.

if you read from the EPA’s website, the power rating for the front motor on the AWD is the same as the PAWD, so difference in part numbers would make no sense unless maybe Tesla improved the motor some how and moved it into production on the P prior to the AWD variant. Lots and lots of speculation.

Again, if I’m paying $8k for what sure looks like software and skipping out on the wheels, suspension, pedals and brakes, is that really worth it if I want a sleeper? Nope for me.
"By your logic"?? I gave the two different part numbers. Did you even read the post? I guess no one has 100% validated the earth is round...... Lots of speculation :rolleyes: