Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the “Performance” Version Really Worth the Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I just find the performance variant less desirable in Tesla's "SUV/CUV" form factor...especially given the Model Y's somewhat homely, not at all sporting looks. Conversely, the Mustang Mach E and Jaguar i-Pace are both much more sporty looking and the Mach E would inspire me to go for the "GT" version. The Model 3 would also inspire me to go for the Performance variant. So, in this case, the specific vehicle is more a driver than the price (assuming money is important).

Part of this is Tesla's limited differentiation of their performance models...my old M5 as an example had unique seats, leather options, wheels, bumpers, suspension, gauges, and exterior paint colors (Lemans Blue in my case). My wife's XC60 R-Design (an SUV) also inspired we select the "R-design" (performance) option with not just the modest power increase but the R-design only suspension, steering ratio, interior trim, gauges, leather seat patterns/colors, performance seats, and exterior paint color (passion red).

@theganjaguru chill dude. You’re really coming off as an ass.

Given the title of the thread you started, you would think you were legitimately trying to understand if there was a valid cost-benefit for the difference in price of these trims. As if you want to have true discussion about understanding the prices, but so far you’ve just been shitting on anyone who doesn’t believe your point of view.

Sorry your understanding of the English language is so poor.. So let me reiterate. As I said before, though the front motors have different part numbers, the power rating is exactly the same...Your ability to think critically is hampered by poor logic because “part numbers are different DUR DA DUR, I read it on a forum bro! It’s god’s word”

Cool story bro.

As it is apparent that your capability to understand the English language is hampered, let me state again:
  • Thought the front motor has “different part numbers” the power rating EXACTLY THE SAME @ 147kW so your different part numbers are a moot point. Do you understand the power is the same or is the world flat?
  • Though the rear motors have a different output, it is slight enough to be controlled by software.
No sense in trying to rationalize with someone who believes if they read it on a forum it’s true! You can’t fix stupidity that has poor reading comprehension skills. As i said before, no clear answer, but it appears as software is limiting it. You can’t fix stupid.

PS Cupcake ,The world is round.

Can’t communicate with you. For some reason you are fixated on the front motor when the part numbers are for the rear anyway. You obviously have no common sense

Last edited:
@theganjaguru chill dude. You’re really coming off as an ass.

Given the title of the thread you started, you would think you were legitimately trying to understand if there was a valid cost-benefit for the difference in price of these trims. As if you want to have true discussion about understanding the prices, but so far you’ve just been shitting on anyone who doesn’t believe your point of view.

It is apparent that you suffer from the the millennial mindset where civil disagreement is “shitting” on other people, because your mindset can’t handle the slightest disagreement or criticism. People have responded to me with civil subjective opinions on why I am wrong and I have responded back with my own subjective reply, not once have I called anyone stupid or disrespected them.

The fact you think this is “shitting” on people is just sad. But it also speaks volumes that you and your ilk can’t handle constructive feedback at all. In my world “shitting” on people is calling them names when they point out flaws in your argument. I have not done that.

Sorry your understanding of the English language is so poor.. So let me reiterate. As I said before, though the front motors have different part numbers, the power rating is exactly the same...Your ability to think critically is hampered by poor logic because “part numbers are different DUR DA DUR, I read it on a forum bro! It’s god’s word”

Cool story bro.

As it is apparent that your capability to understand the English language is hampered, let me state again:
  • Thought the front motor has “different part numbers” the power rating EXACTLY THE SAME @ 147kW so your different part numbers are a moot point. Do you understand the power is the same or is the world flat?
  • Though the rear motors have a different output, it is slight enough to be controlled by software.
No sense in trying to rationalize with someone who believes if they read it on a forum it’s true! You can’t fix stupidity that has poor reading comprehension skills. As i said before, no clear answer, but it appears as software is limiting it. You can’t fix stupid.

PS Cupcake ,The world is round.

• li" data-history="on" style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; word-wrap: normal; min-height: 30px; display: -webkit-flex; width: 331px; box-sizing: border-box; flex-wrap: wrap;">
  • MEDIA
  • INFORMATION
09AAC340-70E8-49A0-AC41-D15F2DB87C63 by theganjaguru posted Feb 25, 2020 at 6:34 PM

@theganjaguru why is your above quoted post in response to @Sunshine State suddenly missing from the thread?

Btw, you actually called him stupid in that post so you’ve contradicted yourself already.

• Love
Reactions: Sunshine State
I ordered the MY P+. I actually really like the Uberturbine wheels and want the lowered suspension. However, my ideal setup would be the LR AWD with 20" Induction wheels with the $2k performance upgrade (if they make it available).

Since I ordered pretty late (Jan 15, 2020), I assume I'll have at least a few months of seeing other people's deliveries to see how everything looks. We'll see...

Either way, a Model Y WILL be in my possession hopefully sometime this year!

Looks like I DON'T have a "few months". I'm one of the ones they reached out to for a March delivery. And most likely because my order was for a MYP+ with black interior. I still refuse to buy a car I haven't seen in person so seeing it will have to happen before my (tentative) delivery date. (I can't decide between the blue or the white paint.)

Looks like I DON'T have a "few months". I'm one of the ones they reached out to for a March delivery. And most likely because my order was for a MYP+ with black interior. I still refuse to buy a car I haven't seen in person so seeing it will have to happen before my (tentative) delivery date. (I can't decide between the blue or the white paint.)
I'll make the decision for you. Blue

;)

At this time I can see no rationalization for paying $8k for 1.5 seconds. This car is quick enough without it. Do you think paying $8k for performance version of a car is worth it when there is nothing physically different between the motors said:
I'll just add that the $$ difference also includes the track mode software. In addition to being the mode you want for accelerating/staying at high speeds on a track, it also allows you to preheat the battery basically via a button push so you can get the full horsepower more easily available in colder (< 15C/60F) weather.

That said, I'd hope they offer some kind of acceleration boost upgrade for Y like 3 so you can split some of the difference. The $2K upgrade on the Model 3 was well worth it to me and while I wish that track mode option were available (for the few times I want to go to a drag strip just for fun), I have no regrets for going AWD vs. Performance now.

The boost *and* performance vs. base AWD Model 3 offer a really nice horsepower jump from 40-80 mph also - great for highway passing.. (not that it's slow by any means)..

Whether it's worth it to you is absolutely up to you - I just wanted to share my thoughts/experience.

When I bought my X the difference in price was 17K for the Performance with "free" ludicrous. I got LR. To get the Ludicrous performance one has to lower the suspension, preheat the battery for what, 20-30 minutes, must be a high SOC and then can get the extra performance.

What is tempting about the 8K add for performance in the Y is it is just there. Anytime, assuming high enough SOC, one can floor it and be gone without loud noise and copious smoke. I am old enough that I do not bend well so I would not get the additional lowering, red brakes, aluminum pedals and all. But my smile would still be there as I watched my rear view mirror for the other cars.

Ya, should have gotten over the need for speed by now. Also 71.
LOL...There is always a need for Speed!

Reactions: preilly44
When I bought my X the difference in price was 17K for the Performance with "free" ludicrous. I got LR. To get the Ludicrous performance one has to lower the suspension, preheat the battery for what, 20-30 minutes, must be a high SOC and then can get the extra performance.

What is tempting about the 8K add for performance in the Y is it is just there. Anytime, assuming high enough SOC, one can floor it and be gone without loud noise and copious smoke. I am old enough that I do not bend well so I would not get the additional lowering, red brakes, aluminum pedals and all. But my smile would still be there as I watched my rear view mirror for the other cars.

Ya, should have gotten over the need for speed by now. Also 71.
The difference between LR vs Performance in an S and X isn’t just about Ludicrous Plus (what you described needing preheated for max benefit) . The Performance S and X have significantly more power and acceleration at any speed over the regular versions without having the battery preheated. We leave our S in Ludicrous all the time because it doesn’t use more power until you stomp on it. To get the last few percent of performance you can preheat in Ludicrous Plus but the Launch and regular Ludicrous work all the time, even cold and with the new software update the car doesn’t need to be lowered. The 3 and Y long range cars only get beat by the Performance 3/Y immediately off the line but at any other speed they are virtually the same. The Performance 3 and Y are just software bumped up Long Range cars hence the $8k bump, you still can get the tire/wheel/suspension/brake package to look the racer part. The $20k added on the S and X is somewhat more justified because it’s got beefier components, not just software and it is also always there. If you don’t care about power off the line in a 3/Y the Performance version doesn’t matter. A Performance S will still make a regular S or X, 3 or Y look sluggish no matter the battery temperature or suspension settings, slightly more so if the battery is warm.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Like everyone said its all personal preference. Ive driven a M3 AWD with the 2k boost, a m3p, and a MYP. I knew what I wanted right away based on my style.

While back, I bought a 2010 BMW 328i, thinking it was fast enough and that the 335i wasn't worth the extra money and headache (turbos etc). The bmw M3 wasn't in my budget at all but the 328 vs 335 was and it was hard decision. At the end I went with a 328. Then 6 months later I totally regretted it. I ended up traded it in for a 335i for the extra power and being the car guy I am, the 335i is the best car for me personally. It was a stupid mistake that costed me a lot of money in depreciation but in the end of I was a happy camper. I still have the 335i, its my garage kept weekend warrior.

Fast forward 1st week of march, I am debating on ordering the Model Y AWD vs performance but then I remembered my 328 vs 335 mistake. My theory was, "if you think you'll regret it in the future, you WILL regret it in the future". So that's why I ultimately got the MYP, and had it delivered 2 week ago to my door, and YES it was worth the 8k. Im already spending a lot on a car, so an extra 8k would really kill me.

Now, I disagree with ppl on the forum that say 'the MYP is ONLY for ppl who track', that's totally not true. The MYP is crazy fast. 1.3 seconds is substantial 0-60 difference you will feel big time and put a bigger smile on your face. Even 0.4 seconds is a huge difference. I just turned in a Model S loaner and I thought it was a weak because I was used to the my MYP, but in reality, every Tesla is quick. Ppl who didn't spend the extra 8k will justify why, and its totally fine, but don't say its not a big difference.

So OP, if you think you will regret not getting the P, get the P and don't make the mistake I did.

I want to have as much fun as the people who ordered performance upgrade for $2k on their model 3. Their smiles are probably bigger knowing they got for $2k what others will pay for $8k.

0.5 seconds faster for the M3AWD boost still isn't as fast as the M3P. Still a good deal, but wont be the same output. I dont think Tesla would shoot themselves in the foot like that. When the boost does come out for the MYAWD, its going to shave 0.5 seconds 0-60 but still the MYP will dust it.

Reactions: preilly44
yes the performance version is worth it - i paid for the red line under Dual Motor just to flex on folks

I thought they all had red lines? lol good to know. FLEX!
The 3 and Y long range cars only get beat by the Performance 3/Y immediately off the line but at any other speed they are virtually the same.

Very Interesting. Do you have any videos Or data of that?

I find that hard to believe after driving both versions, the P is a lot faster at any speed to me. The long range, still quick I feel runs out of breath on freeway speeds and doesn’t have that torquey feeling

I thought they all had red lines? lol good to know. FLEX!

Very Interesting. Do you have any videos Or data of that?

I find that hard to believe after driving both versions, the P is a lot faster at any speed to me. The long range, still quick I feel runs out of breath on freeway speeds and doesn’t have that torquey feeling

There are several videos online showing this.

There are several videos online showing this.

the measured output from the wheels is higher on the P models so it’s faster at any speeds. It’s not just the initial start. So I’ll have to respectfully disagree that’s true.
Here is a good video showing a M3 LR with the performance boost vs M3P. Just imagine if it was a M3 LR without the boost, the difference would be even more significant

Last edited: