Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the “Performance” Version Really Worth the Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the measured output from the wheels is higher on the P models so it’s faster at any speeds. It’s not just the initial start. So I’ll have to respectfully disagree that’s true.
Here is a good video showing a M3 LR with the performance boost vs M3P. Just imagine if it was a M3 LR without the boost, the difference would be even more significant

You can disagree if you want but unfortunately it is very well documented. The difference on the AWD/Performance Model 3 is only at slow speeds. It isn’t even a matter of opinion or "seat of the pants", it’s just a documented fact. I watched the video and I’m not sure about those results but there have been many other videos and dyno tests showing the actual power output being virtually identical. I also have first hand knowledge owning a P3+ and have lined it up next to an AWD 3 on the highway and it is incredible how close they are matched at full throttle at highway speed. The P3D+ does look quite a bit faster with the big wheels and red brakes but looks can be deceiving. Off the line, with or without the $2k AWD boost, the P3D runs away from the AWD 3 though.

Last edited:
You can disagree if you want but unfortunately it is very well documented. The difference on the AWD/Performance Model 3 is only at slow speeds. It isn’t even a matter of opinion or "seat of the pants", it’s just a documented fact. I watched the video and I’m not sure about those results but there have been many other videos and dyno tests showing the actual power output being virtually identical. I also have first hand knowledge owning a P3+ and have lined it up next to an AWD 3 on the highway and it is incredible how close they are matched at full throttle at highway speed. The P3D+ does look quite a bit faster with the big wheels and red brakes but looks can be deceiving. Off the line, with or without the $2k AWD boost, the P3D runs away from the AWD 3 though.

Why are you not sure about those results? That video was a good comparison, probably the best on YouTube. Same exact car with the same wheels, and they did multiple runs. The P showed to be faster, it’s far from dead even, close yes, but not dead even.

there are well documented (motortrend) Dyno numbers that show over 100hp more on the performance, so forget videos. If one car has 100hp more it’s going to be faster at all speeds. That’s just basic physics. Sure, it will be more noticeable off the line but even a highway roll race will always show the P pull away.

as for the LR with the performance boost, it’s close but the P still produces more power.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
This video does a great job comparing the M3 AWD and M3P at different speeds. His conclusion is that the difference is all below 45 MPH.

After test driving the M3 AWD, which felt way faster than the MS at highway speed, I ordered a MY AWD.

yeah that’s just one video and it’s about the closest I’ve seen the two. That’s pretty close and it’s safe to say that 2k acceleration boost is worth the money

The difference between LR vs Performance in an S and X isn’t just about Ludicrous Plus (what you described needing preheated for max benefit) . The Performance S and X have significantly more power and acceleration at any speed over the regular versions without having the battery preheated. We leave our S in Ludicrous all the time because it doesn’t use more power until you stomp on it. To get the last few percent of performance you can preheat in Ludicrous Plus but the Launch and regular Ludicrous work all the time, even cold and with the new software update the car doesn’t need to be lowered. The 3 and Y long range cars only get beat by the Performance 3/Y immediately off the line but at any other speed they are virtually the same. The Performance 3 and Y are just software bumped up Long Range cars hence the $8k bump, you still can get the tire/wheel/suspension/brake package to look the racer part. The $20k added on the S and X is somewhat more justified because it’s got beefier components, not just software and it is also always there. If you don’t care about power off the line in a 3/Y the Performance version doesn’t matter. A Performance S will still make a regular S or X, 3 or Y look sluggish no matter the battery temperature or suspension settings, slightly more so if the battery is warm.

Oh - re. MY AWD - I wasn't aware that you can order wheels, brakes,spoilers etc.
I would love to only order red calipers - do you have to do it over phone? Will Inductions fit over them ?
Thanks.

This video does a great job comparing the M3 AWD and M3P at different speeds. His conclusion is that the difference is all below 45 MPH.

After test driving the M3 AWD, which felt way faster than the MS at highway speed, I ordered a MY AWD.

The major difference between the two cars is around corners.

I would MUCH rather have my P3D than a AWD M3 with performance boost on the twisty mountain roads.

I've done both on the same very twisty mountain roads and the P3D has FAR less body roll around those tight corners.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
[QUOTE="moswissa, post: 4630009, member: 132600"
as for the LR with the performance boost, it’s close but the P still produces more power.[/QUOTE]
I went back to try to find other videos but can’t find the ones I was looking for. I did find some showing the $2k boost 3 AWD being dead even at speed "DragTimes"
I'm pretty sure there were some other standard AWD vs P3 videos. I will also concede that the regular AWD 3 (that l raced with my P3+), that seemed to be dead even, may have been a stealth Performance 3. If it was a P3- that would explain why it was so close.

[QUOTE="moswissa, post: 4630009, member: 132600"
as for the LR with the performance boost, it’s close but the P still produces more power.
I went back to try to find other videos but can’t find the ones I was looking for. I did find some showing the $2k boost 3 AWD being dead even at speed "DragTimes"
I'm pretty sure there were some other standard AWD vs P3 videos. I will also concede that the regular AWD 3 (that l raced with my P3+), that seemed to be dead even, may have been a stealth Performance 3. If it was a P3- that would explain why it was so close.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure it was a stealth performance if it was that close.

I know the SR vs LR are dead even from a roll because it’s the same output, one is just AWD so that gives an advantage from the line.

Can someone just answer the question? I am dying to know...

let me ask you this, are you all about high performance? if so, the extra 8k is worth it because you will be assured that you have the fastest version of you car. Not saying the LR isn't fast, both are fast, its just that one is 1.3 seconds faster 0-60 which is a substantial difference. If you think you might regret it not getting, that means you want it.

If you aren't all about high performance cars, and you just want a Tesla, or you cant budget the extra 8k, by all means just get the LR AWD and call it a day. You wont regret it

I wish Tesla put more software features in M3/Y like they do with the performance S/X.

Launch modes, performance stats on display etc.

That would differentiate the performance version more than just the small hardware changes and software limited power to the engines.

I believe the Performance version is well worth the cost. My P3+ is only 6 months old and while I do love it I wish I waited and bought the Performance Y just because I’m more of an SUV guy. I considered trading the P3+ on a PY+ and Tesla offered $52,751 with the trade/tax credit but for a 4K red/white car I think that’s too low compared to what others claim they get trading regular 3’s. Just something to think about before buying the P3 when the PY is so close in performance.

Reactions: preilly44
I ordered and LR AWD Y because of the height of the car. I would have ordered a PUP Y if it didn’t have a lower ride height. I want the extra clearance. I wish there was a way to order the PUP Y but keep the ride height of the AWD Y. Damn!

Absolutely, I would be very happy to pay $2K for something halfway in between LR AWD and P, as opposed to $8K (or $10K in my case due to the price increase since ordering).

I would just be happy if they provided 2 separate prices for the Performance with PUP and without PUP. Not sure why the price would be the same for both. Seems like the tires alone should knock a large amount off the price when dropping from the 21" tires to 19" tires. Or at least provide the 20" ones as an option when getting the performance.

I want the performance but without all the other stuff and can't convince myself to pay an extra $8k when I am declining the upgraded wheels, etc.

Reactions: frankvb