TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Is the 25 mph auto emergency braking limit arbitrary, or a hardware limitation?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Apr 24, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Los Angeles
    AFAIK the maximum speed differential between the Model S and an object in front of the car is 25 mph for automatic emergency braking. Any differential more than this and you will still hit the object in front of you (although at a much lower speed than you would have without AEB).

Mercedes' new system has a limit of 43 mph I believe.

And this has gotten me to thinking - is 25 mph an arbitrary software limitation in the current version of Tesla's software? Is the system capable of more? Or is there an inherent hardware limitation in the current suite of sensors, or perhaps processing speed limitations - which led Tesla to cap the braking differential at 25 mph?
  2. thimel

thimel Member

Feb 27, 2015
    I think the idea is that while the AEB is slowing you by 25 mph that you have time to put your foot on the brake and continue braking.
    Limiting the amount AEB brakes reduces the likelihood that you get rear ended if it breaks when it shouldn't.
    • Like x 1
  3. musicious

musicious Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Wheeling, IL
    Subaru with Eyesight (best rated Pre-Collision Braking) can prevent a collision if within 30+ mph as well
  4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Jun 27, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    Probably because any more than that, and the auto-braking system either can't judge speed of objects far enough ahead and/or becomes too intrusive.