Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 4 week delivery time real time or Elon time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the 4 week window is realistic but only if your purchase of the model 3 does not include an trade in. if you have a trade in I have noticed your going to wait beyond the 4 weeks even two months for you to be assigned a VIN

I read a post on my instagram recently. The poster claimed he was invited to configure his model 3, had a trade in the mix and has been waiting for a VIN from TESLA over two months.
That's odd. I know many folks have done a trade in and gotten VINs in a normal time period... Wonder if there was something else going on? He would have had to be a super early configure-er. And who waits two months? Patience of a saint!

I configured 1/18, after a few weeks of hearing nothing, I called and they said that they didn't see my order until 1/24. Either way, tomorrow is four weeks from the latter date and still no VIN or no delivery. (This is in Nevada.)

I just got off the phone with TESLA to change my order verbally. They insisted that the trade was not an issue. He said the the issue is my choice of options. I choose a pearl white and it is highly desirable. my buddy got the blue one and they have plenty of that color. What they do is manufacture large quantities of model 3 then send out the invites so we are buying from new inventory, as they sell out we have to wait for more production if you want a popular color

Ordered Pearl White 2/15... fingers crossed I'm not waiting a long time, but I read of several others who ordered Pearl White getting VINs late last week, so unless I sneak in to that batch, I may be waiting a while for the next batch of Pearl White Model 3s.

I just got off the phone with TESLA to change my order verbally. They insisted that the trade was not an issue. He said the the issue is my choice of options. I choose a pearl white and it is highly desirable. my buddy got the blue one and they have plenty of that color. What they do is manufacture large quantities of model 3 then send out the invites so we are buying from new inventory, as they sell out we have to wait for more production if you want a popular color

I guess I got very lucky then. I ordered Pearl White and I have a trade. I ordered minutes after being able to configure on 2/14 and received the VIN 2/18.

I'm waiting for a call from Tesla today to get more information about my delivery.

Well the 4 week window is realistic but only if your purchase of the model 3 does not include an trade in. if you have a trade in I have noticed your going to wait beyond the 4 weeks even two months for you to be assigned a VIN

When they called me to tell me my car was going to be ready soon, they asked if I had a trade-in. I said that I will not be trading in my Roadster because I've heard (here on TMC) that Tesla is not offering much for Roadsters. She asked if I'd like a quote anyway, and I asked how long that would delay delivery of my car. She said 48 hours.

So I declined, since I already know (thanks, TMC!) that it's not worth bothering with. I have no idea if her 48-hour estimate would have been realistic. But I said I'd sell the Roadster privately (look for my post in Teslas for sale by owner in a week or three) and told her to go ahead with the paperwork as no-trade-in.

She said I could pick up the car on the 27th (3 1/2 weeks from the day I configured) but since I want it delivered to me, I'm still waiting for a date for that.

Colorado Model 3 timeline:
Configure avail: Jan 18 (?—>No email (still) to configure so going by the other owners... I noticed config avail on Jan 31st)
Configured: Jan 31 (Silver LR Premium No EAP, cash buyer)
VIN 6170 assigned: Feb 17
Called by Vegas: Feb 19
Delivery date in Denver: Feb 27 (4 weeks total config to pickup in Colorado)

Excited!
Good luck everyone.

Reactions: Dr. J